Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D color cast in viewfinder

alliben
302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 26, 2014 19:56 |  #1

I just got back from Best Buy where I was comparing the feel of the 70D w/18-135 with a Rebel w/18-55. No filters.

While looking through the viewfinder of the 70D, everything was noticeably tinted - sort of a light serpia. I didn't try LV. The view through the Rebel was neutral.

The clerk took a couple of pics and the color looked right on the rear LCD, but through the viewfinder the color was distinct and disturbing.

I know these display cameras take a beating, but I wonder what could be wrong.

I found this answer for someone who had a tint in the viewfinder of their 7D,

"The 7D uses an active LCD screen that you are looking through when using the viewfinder. Maybe yours has a problem?"

Could this be the case with this 70D

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 26, 2014 20:57 |  #2

There isn't much between the last element of the lens and what you see in the viewfinder (mirror, focusing screen, LCD screen). Most likely whatever tinting you are seeing is from the LCD overlay in the view finder.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 26, 2014 21:50 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #3

Is this something I've never heard of before? An optical viewfinder where you are looking through an LCD? It's certainly no part of my 60D. Light comes through the lens, hits off the mirror, gets bent through the pentaprism, then out through the viewfinder. No LCD involved that I ever heard about.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 26, 2014 21:53 |  #4

Preeb wrote in post #16789290 (external link)
Is this something I've never heard of before? An optical viewfinder where you are looking through an LCD? It's certainly no part of my 60D. Light comes through the lens, hits off the mirror, gets bent through the pentaprism, then out through the viewfinder. No LCD involved that I ever heard about.

7d, 70d, 5d3, and 1dx, I believe. Read any of the dpreview reviews to get a good idea of what it is. You can get grid lines, level indicators, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 26, 2014 22:03 |  #5

The 60D does not have the active viewfinder. Also your light path is missing an element, it hits the focusing screen (where your AF point boxes are) before going into the pentaprism. The 70D and other cameras that have the intelligent viewfinders have a clear LCD screen immediately after the focusing screen, which allows for showing you only the active AF point, your locked on target when using AI servo tracking, focus zone, grid lines, full time level, and if you are in spot metering mode the spot meter circle is active.

To the OP, I have not noticed a distinct color cast in my viewfinder. I would suspect that the store model is dirty or damaged somehow.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,933 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 27, 2014 02:43 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #6

Did you swap the lenses between the two cameras? Some lenses give a certain color cast, although lenses from the same manufacturer usually are pretty much matched from that point of view.

Anders

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 27, 2014 07:31 |  #7

There is definitely no color cast in my copy's viewfinder. Like Keyan said, the floor model probably has something wrong with it or is dirty in such a way to give it the color cast.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 27, 2014 07:33 |  #8

Perhaps the types of lights at Best Buy interacts with the LCD overlay screen differently than the normal plastic focusing screen found in the rebel?

alliben
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 27, 2014 08:22 |  #9

Did you swap the lenses between the two cameras?

No. The store has tethers on their cameras to keep them from leaving the store. Part of the tether covers the lens release button.

I looked through the viewfinders of both cameras to see if the 70D was noticeably brighter than the Rebel. The view through the Rebel was fine color wise - the whites were white. In the 70D the tint seemed to make the view even darker than the Rebel. But I was more surprised by the tint to pay attention to the brightness.

The tint was uniform across the entire view, not spotty or such.

Perhaps the types of lights at Best Buy interacts with the LCD overlay screen differently than the normal plastic focusing screen found in the rebel?

Boy, I hope that's not the case. Even though the tether makes handling the camera difficult, the 70D "feels" so much better than my T2i. But there are 2 multi-day events I shoot per year that are predominantly indoors with artificial lighting and I'm not interested in this compromise.

I suppose I could ask the clerk if he could take out another camera, but I don't plan on purchasing it there and they may be reluctant to open another box. I'll have to get down there again to check this out further.

Any suggestions?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,116 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 27, 2014 08:48 as a reply to  @ alliben's post |  #10

The 70D was turned on when you looked through the viewfinder, right?

Mark

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 27, 2014 08:55 |  #11

Oh, the 70D's viewfinder is definitely bigger & brighter than the Rebel. There has to have been something wrong with the copy you were looking at. I actually handled one at Best Buy (heh, before going to buy mine used) and it didn't have any sort of color cast either.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

alliben
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 27, 2014 09:03 |  #12

rrblint wrote in post #16790036 (external link)

Yes, it was powered up. AF, rear LCD, and top panel were activated.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,933 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 27, 2014 09:03 |  #13

rrblint wrote in post #16790036 (external link)

That's not necessary, but there must be a charged battery inside. Good point.

Anders

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,116 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 27, 2014 09:13 |  #14

alliben wrote in post #16790066 (external link)
Yes, it was powered up. AF, rear LCD, and top panel were activated.

Ok, just thought that I would ask, since that had not been established.

apersson850 wrote in post #16790069 (external link)
That's not necessary, but there must be a charged battery inside. Good point.

Ok, it's tied directly to the battery rather than being routed through the on-off switch. Seems that that would drain away battery power over time, but I guess that it has very low current draw.

Mark

YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 27, 2014 10:34 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #15

Wonder if the DOF button was stuck on.

Those floor models take quite a beating.

sponsored links

2,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
70D color cast in viewfinder
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.