Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Mar 2014 (Friday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy price matching scam

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 24, 2014 08:29 |  #31

tkbslc wrote in post #16778562 (external link)
Sorry, I side with the Best Buy manager. Says right on the page it is sold by Sunset Electronics, which is not a major retailer, legitimate Best Buy competitor, or an authorized dealer:

Yup. I hate Best Buy and Future Shop, but in this case it looks like they were correct to reject the price match.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 25, 2014 09:23 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #32

Ya know, as a consumer if I wanted to purchase something and my local store wouldn't match the price, I'd go ahead and order it and be done with it.

Period, end of story. Sorry.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

paintax
61 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2014 14:05 as a reply to  @ post 16779707 |  #33

I am very skeptical about buying at BB since they reduced return policy to 2 weeks only....i trust B&H much more ....

1d mk2,5dmk2, 7d,24-70mm,70-200mmf/4 24-105 50 /1.8 400/5.6

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 25, 2014 15:38 |  #34

paintax wrote in post #16785443 (external link)
I am very skeptical about buying at BB since they reduced return policy to 2 weeks only....i trust B&H much more ....

Why are you skeptical about their two week policy? It's canon in the end you have to worry about.

Also my return policy is 45 days due to my status with them.

I rather be able to walk into any best buy throughout the country and get my assistance on the purchase than have to deal with shipping and phone calls from B&H.

Some of my feedback

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 25, 2014 21:49 |  #35

it's not really a best buy scam...they have rules that you have to follow...you didn't...i feel sorry for the workers that had to deal with you...

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #16784738 (external link)
Ya know, as a consumer if I wanted to purchase something and my local store wouldn't match the price, I'd go ahead and order it and be done with it.

Period, end of story. Sorry.

yeah...problem is when you're trying to price match to a shady site to begin with...you have to buy from a legitimate site...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,532 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 26, 2014 12:06 |  #36

It's quite interesting how many people here bash Best Buy, when in fact it was the consumer that was in the wrong.

Also, be careful what you ask for. You don't want your brick and mortar stores to go out of business, it starts a business blight, which will eventually affect you one way or another via taxes, increased prices, etc. An anchor store like Best Buy brings business to everything around it. If one goes down, it is a matter of about 6 months before the smaller stores in the vicinity go down, and then you have a shopping center that is about 60% empty.

I don't get the entire attitude that you want to hurt a big business and put them out of business. It does nobody any good. If I can give my money to local businesses and I don't have to spend very much more to do it, then I will. That very directly affects our local economy which is a good thing. I understand price matching, and will definitely try to get a company to price match, and if not, then I reassess where I buy something, for that one purchase.

Do you want jobs in your area? Then spend your money locally where possible, and go online when you cannot get anything close to a match locally.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 26, 2014 20:00 |  #37

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16787956 (external link)
It's quite interesting how many people here bash Best Buy, when in fact it was the consumer that was in the wrong.

Also, be careful what you ask for. You don't want your brick and mortar stores to go out of business, it starts a business blight, which will eventually affect you one way or another via taxes, increased prices, etc. An anchor store like Best Buy brings business to everything around it. If one goes down, it is a matter of about 6 months before the smaller stores in the vicinity go down, and then you have a shopping center that is about 60% empty.

I don't get the entire attitude that you want to hurt a big business and put them out of business. It does nobody any good. If I can give my money to local businesses and I don't have to spend very much more to do it, then I will. That very directly affects our local economy which is a good thing. I understand price matching, and will definitely try to get a company to price match, and if not, then I reassess where I buy something, for that one purchase.

Do you want jobs in your area? Then spend your money locally where possible, and go online when you cannot get anything close to a match locally.

with best buy price matching major sites, the only benefit of buying online is that you don't pay the tax...but i feel like the days of no tax for online purchases is probably going to be going away pretty soon, and then the convenience of best buy's locally will be great for many people

yeah, the workers there may not know what the hell they're talking about, but you're going in there knowing exactly what you want anyways...so who cares if they tell you the 70D has been discontinued :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 27, 2014 11:17 |  #38

In Michigan, I have to pay the tax when I file my state return, even if the out of state retailer did not charge at the time I completed the transaction.

My Gear

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 27, 2014 12:54 |  #39

Sounds like the OP is the one trying to pull a scam by demanding a price match for a marketplace seller of questionable integrity. That's similar to going to Barnes and Noble and attempting to get them to sell you books for the "Available Used From $0.99" price on Amazon. I've had absolutely no problems getting Best Buy to match Amazon prices, even when the resulting discount was over 50% (on SD cards, for example). I just show the cashier the product ad on my smartphone, the cashier calls a manager over, manager types in his password and I get the price match.

You want an example of bad price-match policy? Gander Mountain. They routinely charge 25% more than Cabelas for certain products and won't do a price match without a print advertisement (!) and a call to the store to verify stock. Welcome back to the 1980s.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 29, 2014 13:03 |  #40

pdrober2 wrote in post #16781842 (external link)
no scam here. the fine print clearly states the rules which excludes your attempt.

it would be like me posting a new 100L for sale on amazon for $500 and then going into best buy to get them to price match it.

that's a damn good idea. :lol:

Point-n-shoot-n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,782 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2014 21:32 |  #41

jt354 wrote in post #16790609 (external link)
Sounds like the OP is the one trying to pull a scam by demanding a price match for a marketplace seller of questionable integrity.

Really?? Best Buy specifically listed Rakuten.com on their price matching list...I didn't just pull this site out of my ass. I gave them 30 minutes of my time to find ANYTHING sold by Rakuten on the website...they could not! My point is If you are going to advertise price matching on a specific website then you should do it...end of story. IF you don't want to price match to a specific site then don't include them in your list...end of story! Btw..got my 5D Mk3 from amazon and saved the tax money.

Canon 5D mk IV, Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 29, 2014 22:10 |  #42

Point-n-shoot-n wrote in post #16795997 (external link)
Btw..got my 5D Mk3 from amazon and saved the tax money.

Not legally, you didn't.

http://dor.myflorida.c​om/dor/taxes/consumer.​html (external link)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 30, 2014 00:29 |  #43

Really?? Best Buy specifically listed Rakuten.com on their price matching list...I didn't just pull this site out of my ass. I gave them 30 minutes of my time to find ANYTHING sold by Rakuten on the website...they could not! My point is If you are going to advertise price matching on a specific website then you should do it...end of story. IF you don't want to price match to a specific site then don't include them in your list...end of story! Btw..got my 5D Mk3 from amazon and saved the tax money.

the thing is people posted the add you were talking about here and it CLEARLY shows it is a marketplace item. And bestbuy's price match policy CLEARLY states that marketplace item's don't count. Which is exactly what you were told by their customer service.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

bettyn
Goldmember
3,445 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 04, 2014 13:56 |  #44

Best Buy won't price match with an outfit like Rakuten.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 13, 2014 14:26 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

Your first mistake is walking in bestbuy to make a purchase. the product is there for you to test and try out to see if you like it. Then go home and check out any trusted online dealer to see what best price they have.
I have purchased my 5d mark III and 70-200 IS II from amazon low price free shipping and no tax.

sponsored links

8,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy price matching scam
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.