Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Frustrated (Studio lights)

Moin
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 27, 2014 14:01 |  #1

So I borrowed couple of Indian studio lights, these

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/mVTuHK6.png

from a friend and I can't get 1 good picture with them. I've used umbrellas, diffusers with different setups but nop. 2 things, I don't have a soft/octabox (hence the umbrella + double tracing paper diffuser) or a large room where I'm shooting, how much does that matter?

Also, when I'm shooting with 'lamp only mode', It gives a warm'ish feeling which is "workable" but not good enough.

This is my first time playing with Studio lights so any tip to get me one or two good pictures/setup would be awesome.

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2014 14:06 |  #2

Lamp only mode is like having two household lights on, Its warm because the light is orange.

It would help if you would post what you are getting so we could see where you are failing.
Working in a small room is tough as light bounces all over and is hard to control, it can work. Youtube has lots of help.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=PLWa5RwSL4I (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2014 14:07 |  #3

We need some examples to work with here. You might as well call your mechanic and tell him you're cars not running right, then ask him how to fix it. ;) Let us see what you're working with, so to speak, so we can offer advice on how to go about improving.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 27, 2014 14:09 |  #4

^^ I was hoping YOU'll (Big fan) reply :D - definitely, I'm on it. Deleted everything but let me take some shots again.

flickrr (external link)

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 27, 2014 14:34 |  #5

F/5.6
1/160
ISO 100
85mm

Used half power on the strobes (funny thing, It's either half or full, can't adjust anything else) + an umbrella facing towards. Almost every picture is like this or brighter.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/mR7s9Kx.jpg

flickrr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2014 14:40 |  #6

Firstly, if F5.6 is too bright, go to f8, 11, 16 etc. Other options are move the light back.

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 27, 2014 15:08 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #16790834 (external link)
Firstly, if F5.6 is too bright, go to f8, 11, 16 etc. Other options are move the light back.

Tried that, it feels like it's only under exposing the picture, the effect is the same. Maybe use another light with a snoot to brighten up the face?

flickrr (external link)

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 27, 2014 15:11 |  #8

Don't mean to insult you but you are in Manual mode right, not Aperture Priority?

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2014 15:11 |  #9

Go to youtube and start watching videos. I'm not certain which effect you mean, but my response was to your comment about being too bright. What light modifiers to you have available to you?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2014 15:27 |  #10

Moin wrote in post #16790821 (external link)
F/5.6
1/160
ISO 100
85mm

Used half power on the strobes (funny thing, It's either half or full, can't adjust anything else) + an umbrella facing towards. Almost every picture is like this or brighter.

QUOTED IMAGE

I'm going to assume that you're shooting in manual mode? What about the image is too bright? The puppy seems properly exposed to me, but if the scene on a whole is brighter than you want you can try moving the light closer to the dog. This will of course mean you'll have to stop down more, but by bringing the light closer you increase the rate of fall-off (inverse square law) meaning the strobe will have less of an effect on the surroundings relative to the subject.

Don't use the umbrella with diffusion paper. Umbrellas tend to throw light everywhere (especially shoot through umbrellas). If you have diffusion material you can get that as close to the subject as possible while keeping it out of frame, then get the light close enough that you can see where it's entire beam is hitting the diffusion (no spillover). This should give nice soft light while minimizing fill from spill light. Another thing to keep in mind would be not to shoot with a mirror in the background. Mirrors are exceptionally effective reflectors. ;)
Just my two cents.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 27, 2014 15:30 |  #11

jptsr1 wrote in post #16790912 (external link)
Don't mean to insult you but you are in Manual mode right, not Aperture Priority?

Yes, In manual mode.

Go to youtube and start watching videos. I'm not certain which effect you mean, but my response was to your comment about being too bright. What light modifiers to you have available to you?

I did. I even got Karl Taylor's (almost all the DVD's) from someone. Everyone's using a soft/octabox with 99% of their shots with strobes. Looks like I need to experiment, experiment and experiment some more to get this right.

I basically want to test how well I can work with strobes/studio lights before (if) I get my own .

Edit (Just saw Scatter's reply):

Bingo! you understood what I was trying to say :D

Puppy expose, Yes. Background fade = X

Unfortunately, I don't have a softbox that'll let me bring the light closer but at-least I now know what the problem is. Yep, I took this in a hurry, hence the mirror reflections.

flickrr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2014 15:35 |  #12

Everyone is using softboxes and octas because they can afford to, but you don't have to have them to get good light (it certainly helps though!). Pick up "Minimalist Lighting" by Kirk Tuck.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2014 15:37 |  #13

Moin wrote in post #16790955 (external link)
Yes, In manual mode.

I did. I even got Karl Taylor's (almost all the DVD's) from someone. Everyone's using a soft/octabox with 99% of their shots with strobes. Looks like I need to experiment, experiment and experiment some more to get this right.

I basically want to test how well I can work with strobes/studio lights before (if) I get my own .

Edit (Just saw Scatter's reply):

Bingo! you understood what I was trying to say :D

Puppy expose, Yes. Background fade = X

Unfortunately, I don't have a softbox that'll let me bring the light closer but at-least I now know what the problem is. Yep, I took this in a hurry, hence the mirror reflections.

Softboxes and octos help, but there is no reason with a bit of practice you cant also make your umbrellas perform better for you . Use the properties of light to your advantage. The closer the subject to the light the quicker it falls off in the background.

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 27, 2014 15:48 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #16790968 (external link)
Softboxes and octos help, but there is no reason with a bit of practice you cant also make your umbrellas perform better for you . Use the properties of light to your advantage. The closer the subject to the light the quicker it falls off in the background.

Yep, unfortunately, I can't control power on these lights, there's no slider. Only half or full power and it throws an immense burst even on half. The only way I can use these is when I've turned the lights flash off and am using the continuous modeling lamps.

flickrr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2014 15:51 |  #15

Moin wrote in post #16791006 (external link)
Yep, unfortunately, I can't control power on these lights, there's no slider. Only half or full power and it throws an immense burst even on half. The only way I can use these is when I've turned the lights flash off and am using the continuous modeling lamps.

Nothing I said relies on your turning the power down. Get closer, and adjust your aperture accordingly, and watch the background get darker.

sponsored links

2,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
Frustrated (Studio lights)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.