Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to draw the line

groundloop
983 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 27, 2014 19:27 |  #46

cdifoto wrote in post #16791165 (external link)
If a company can have someone do whatever they want them to do whenever they want, they would salary anyone and have them go clean the bathrooms, maintain the vehicle fleet, empty all the trash cans, fix the lights, and so on and so forth endlessly.....

Actually that happens a lot (unless there's a collective bargaining agreement in place), and thankfully there are new regulations coming down that will eliminate a lot of that nonsense (I'm making the assumption that we're all talking about the USA since I don't have a clue about labor laws in other countries).

BUT, we're not talking about someone hired as a CPA washing cars and emptying trash cans. We're talking about someone hired as a CPA doing additional work sitting down at a computer editing images. Anyway I think this dead horse has been beaten quite enough, I'm pretty sure the OP has gotten the message by now that his best bet is to have a frank talk with his boss about how much extra time it's taking him to edit images etc. and to see where it goes from there.

sponsored links
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,956 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 27, 2014 20:35 |  #47

kenwood33 wrote in post #16791413 (external link)
Is it a registered charity? Can you get a tax receipt?

The value of volunteer work isn't allowed as a charitable deduction under federal law.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2014 20:46 |  #48

OhLook wrote in post #16791578 (external link)
The value of volunteer work isn't allowed as a charitable deduction under federal law.

I don't know about the states but under Canadian law, something tangible (like a photograph) that is donated can be used as a deduction. Volunteer time like you mention is not.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 27, 2014 21:11 |  #49

groundloop wrote in post #16791437 (external link)
Actually that happens a lot (unless there's a collective bargaining agreement in place), and thankfully there are new regulations coming down that will eliminate a lot of that nonsense (I'm making the assumption that we're all talking about the USA since I don't have a clue about labor laws in other countries).

BUT, we're not talking about someone hired as a CPA washing cars and emptying trash cans. We're talking about someone hired as a CPA doing additional work sitting down at a computer editing images. Anyway I think this dead horse has been beaten quite enough, I'm pretty sure the OP has gotten the message by now that his best bet is to have a frank talk with his boss about how much extra time it's taking him to edit images etc. and to see where it goes from there.

Additional work is additional work. Photography != accounting.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 27, 2014 21:13 |  #50

Voaky999 wrote in post #16791594 (external link)
I don't know about the states but under Canadian law, something tangible (like a photograph) that is donated can be used as a deduction. Volunteer time like you mention is not.

Pretty sure the use of the equipment could be deducted. Probably use rental rates to get that figure. OP would know...he's the accountant. :D ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 27, 2014 22:00 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #16791635 (external link)
Additional work is additional work. Photography != accounting.

So what? If you want to sit in your cubicle and be passed over any future expansion in your responsibilities...jus​t focus on what you have been hired to do and you'll be pushing that same pencil in that same cubicle for the next 40 years.

Who cares you have not been hired to take photos. By taking the photos, you just expanded your worth to the company, not to mention your flexibility as an employee.

The best way to limit your career very quickly in today's climate is to say that job is not your responsibility.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,892 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 27, 2014 23:17 |  #52

I'm a financial analyst a large energy company. I've shot a bunch of stuff for the company magazine, promotional material etc etc....usually material circulated internally, but some external marketing stuff too. I've essentially become the "free" professional photographer for shoots our marketing and communications folks do within the office

I don't get any extra compensation, and no direct recognition beyond a caption next a photo occasionally.

It's helped me network in the office rather tremendously though, as it makes me very visible in a very large office. I've taken portraits of c-level executives in the office, and because of that, they're familiar with my work and know me on a personal basis. Can't complain about that.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 28, 2014 00:11 |  #53

Hogloff wrote in post #16791744 (external link)
So what? If you want to sit in your cubicle and be passed over any future expansion in your responsibilities...jus​t focus on what you have been hired to do and you'll be pushing that same pencil in that same cubicle for the next 40 years.

Who cares you have not been hired to take photos. By taking the photos, you just expanded your worth to the company, not to mention your flexibility as an employee.

The best way to limit your career very quickly in today's climate is to say that job is not your responsibility.

It's one thing to give 110% at your job. It's another to be abused. You have to recognize the difference.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 28, 2014 08:36 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #16791946 (external link)
It's one thing to give 110% at your job. It's another to be abused. You have to recognize the difference.

Really, taking photos rather than sitting in your cube pouring over numbers is being abused.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,838 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 28, 2014 09:20 |  #55

Hogloff wrote in post #16792439 (external link)
Really, taking photos rather than sitting in your cube pouring over numbers is being abused.

Keep in mind I chose to be a CPA, so I kinda like numbers and my office is pretty nice. It also gives me financial insights into the company, things like I know we have more than enough cash to hire a photographer.

And that value really doesn't add anything to my corporate value. If I was a nurse and CPA, then yes. A photographer and CPA, no.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 28, 2014 09:29 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

huntersdad wrote in post #16792524 (external link)
Keep in mind I chose to be a CPA, so I kinda like numbers and my office is pretty nice. It also gives me financial insights into the company, things like I know we have more than enough cash to hire a photographer.

And that value really doesn't add anything to my corporate value. If I was a nurse and CPA, then yes. A photographer and CPA, no.

Flexibility, being able to wear multiple hats, being multi-talented always adds value to both you and the company.

I'm a product manager in a high tech company and team members that can take on different roles or tasks throughout the development of a product are much more valuable to me than someone who is a one trick pony. In today's dynamic work environments, employees need to be flexible and multi-talented rather than stagnant with the same skill set year after year.

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 28, 2014 09:41 |  #57

Hogloff wrote in post #16789937 (external link)
Is he not already hired for this company. Don't they already pay him a salary for his time?

^^This...

Isn't every company asking employees to do more than the job description (except, of course, for Unions)...? My current employer, and previous employers all do this. It's standard. I work Tech Support for a software company, and when the copier jams, I'm there digging the paper out and not calling for a service call... The phone system, moving a desk, running a network cable, helping a customer with an invoice, even running outside to take a picture of the building for the marketing brochure... I would never think of saying no, not if I want to be a valued employee... the OP is a bit stuck, since he works there, and is doing work related stuff...

Getting 'company' equipment is probably the best scenario... then at least the OP's equipment isn't at risk...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 28, 2014 09:45 |  #58

I have to say, Huntersdad is in a pretty unique spot. I am going to be a little bit of a devil's advocate here, I am going to assume HD is a pretty good CPA, he (sorry if you are a she) also does a pretty bang up job as a photographer. If they hired HD to be the photographer, they would have to hire another CPA, which may be easy or hard depending on the location. So they ask HD to do a shoot now and then. So far, no extra money has been required. So why change what is working?
HD appears to be at the end of his rope in continue to do free work. That is OK, and it appears HD is now going to approach the non profit with a change in the current environment. That is really the best option. Just letting them know it is great, but takes more time than they think currently may mean they will either respect the need to use the people they are already paying to do that work, or they will offer something to HD to do the work, but receive some compensation/recogniti​on in doing so.
I think the key here is just letting the non profit know the pictures don't just magically happen. It they are a company of decent character, they will do what is right. I truly still believe that at the heart of things, people are still good by nature.
I will continue to follow this thread to see how things turn out.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 28, 2014 10:20 |  #59

mguffin wrote in post #16792591 (external link)
^^This...

Isn't every company asking employees to do more than the job description (except, of course, for Unions)...? My current employer, and previous employers all do this. It's standard. I work Tech Support for a software company, and when the copier jams, I'm there digging the paper out and not calling for a service call... The phone system, moving a desk, running a network cable, helping a customer with an invoice, even running outside to take a picture of the building for the marketing brochure... I would never think of saying no, not if I want to be a valued employee...

I am the same, I am a drafter/cnc programer that sits in his cubical at a computer, but today one of our wrench turners are on vacation and that department is backed up, so I am putting on my shop coat and headed out to get my hands dirty for the day. Very much not my job, and will see little thanks for it, but it helps the company which in turn will maybe .... probably not help come review time.

Hawk's ­ Feather
308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 28, 2014 10:26 |  #60

This is an interesting thread to follow and I have read it all. While I don’t know how many CEOs or other types of ‘Chiefs’ really are here, it could serve as a nice reminder to recognize those who are doing ‘more’ than their ‘normal’ job. It is usually the ‘little things’ that keep employees happy at their workplace and that doesn’t change if it is McDonalds or the highest paying company. That recognition can also apply to daily work and not just ‘extra’ work that is done for the company.

As for huntersdad, it seems that he enjoys photography, is good at it, and the company is more than happy to ‘use’ his skills in this area. Having done some similar work in the past there are a couple of things to think about. First would obviously be the amount of time (outside of work) that is needed to process the images. Second would be another obvious (to me) that while he is doing photography during the workday that he is ‘not’ doing the CPA work that he is hired to do while doing this photography. If you give up a day of work in the CPA office, isn’t it going to require additional work at some other time to make up for this? Even if you have assistants or secretaries that can cover for the day, it would seem that you would need to complete at lease some of your CPA work that you would have been doing had you not been out of the office doing photography. Finally, again maybe only to me, but it would seem that if there are already two photographers in the company and you can do their work and still complete your CPA work, then it is time for the company to cut at least one of the photographers and just give the work to you. After all, you are already doing it. {Yes, those two last sentences are somewhat my attempt at humor, but could also be true.} While I know that you have to take pleasure (as we all would) having your work used as you have mentioned, my personal view would be that it might be time to let the company know that due to the needed time of your CPA work, the photography work will need to be done by the two photographers who are already hired to do photography.

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

sponsored links

14,604 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to draw the line
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.