Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 10:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

wacom type tablets

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 28, 2014 14:11 |  #16

There is definitely a learning curve with drawing tablets. Some photographers love them, others hate them. Full-time retouchers seem to praise them more often than photographers, but again it is a preference. In my experience, if you are doing a lot of photo-illustration where painting techniques apply, then you will likely benefit. Photoshop has built-in features such as pressure for variable width brush strokes that add sensitivity one does not have with a mouse.

FYI, I used the Wacom Cintiq (external link) for awhile which changes the game if one can afford it. Cintiq is the new line of HD LCD tablets if you can imagine drawing directly on a large iPad screen, for example. It's more intuitive than the popular Intuos tablets that are the industry standard, but costs $1000-3000 depending on size. You use it much like a second monitor. The new Companion line recently announced are actually Windows or Android mobile tablets themselves. On the other end of the spectrum, a cheaper alternative to Intuos tablets are the ones from Monoprice.com (external link). For under $100 they are hard to beat.

sponsored links
Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 28, 2014 14:49 |  #17

I don't draw/paint/write well, so I find a tablet very difficult to use.

I think that people who can draw will be drawn to using tablets.

Is there anyone who cannot draw (stick figured don't even look like people) that like using tablets?

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 28, 2014 15:07 |  #18

My work got me one in 2004, a large Wacom one (I want to say 12 or 18 inch). I had never had any experience with one before that. I often wondered if maybe I should have gotten a smaller one to learn on as it always seemed like the large one was too big. Never could grasp it, could always do things better with a mouse.

Like Heath, I don't draw or paint.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

frs
214 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 28, 2014 18:47 |  #19

Heath wrote in post #16793292 (external link)

Is there anyone who cannot draw (stick figured don't even look like people) that like using tablets?

badams wrote in post #16793337 (external link)
My work got me one in 2004, a large Wacom one (I want to say 12 or 18 inch). I had never had any experience with one before that. I often wondered if maybe I should have gotten a smaller one to learn on as it always seemed like the large one was too big. Never could grasp it, could always do things better with a mouse.

Like Heath, I don't draw or paint.

I draw and paint, but sold the wacom, since for photo editing on computer, a mouse is fine for me.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2014 19:16 |  #20

I couldn't draw to save my life. I love my tablet. The magic mouse that comes with the iMac sucks for photo editing so I can either buy a nice mouse for $75-100 or a tablet for $100. Took me two days to get used to the tablet.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 29, 2014 11:18 |  #21

I really cant draw, even my stick figures suck (and dont ever follow a map i have drawn)
I love my tablet though, it feels more intuitive to me, its more like colouring between the lines than actually drawing.

In terms of pointing/retouching devices for computers, my choices are
1. Good tablet
2. Apple multitouch trackpad
3. Crappy tablet
4. Normal mouse (love the old microsoft ergonomic mice)
5. Apple magic mouse (god i hate the magic mouse, its looks great, but is uncomfortable to use)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sponsored links

2,967 views & 0 likes for this thread
wacom type tablets
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.