Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Mar 2014 (Friday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone a fan of this type of processing?

bpiper7
that type of outlier
1,333 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2014 13:55 |  #16

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16793172 (external link)
I also don't dig the image. But to bring a little bit of dissent to the thread, I think you would be crazy to stop an artistic pursuit because some people (on the innernet !) don't like this particular rendition. Maybe we have bad taste. Maybe this particular piece is in fact bad but through refinement over time the process could result in images that are universally lauded--or not. At the very least, you're experimenting, which is great.

^^^^^^ This.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,683 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2014 14:08 |  #17

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16793172 (external link)
I also don't dig the image. But to bring a little bit of dissent to the thread, I think you would be crazy to stop an artistic pursuit because some people (on the innernet !) don't like this particular rendition. Maybe we have bad taste. Maybe this particular piece is in fact bad but through refinement over time the process could result in images that are universally lauded--or not. At the very least, you're experimenting, which is great.

You have a point. But the counterpoint is that far too many people get caught up in applying crappy post effects in pursuit of creating art. It inhibits growth in the actual artistry of photography which gives you a much better basis to then explore expression.

bpiper7
that type of outlier
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2014 14:15 |  #18

gonzogolf wrote in post #16793211 (external link)
You have a point. But the counterpoint is that far too many people get caught up in applying crappy post effects in pursuit of creating art. It inhibits growth in the actual artistry of photography which gives you a much better basis to then explore expression.

Many people get "caught up" in making crappy photographs. Many get "caught up" in making crappy oil paintings. That doesn't inhibit the growth of actual artistry in photography or painting. It causes the growth in artistry when some of them learn and improve. Same thing with people who experiment in "painterly" processing of images. Some folks get good at it.
I would submit that the inhibition results from people simply dismissing something that's different from what makes them comfortable.

Bill

Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

Nathan
So boring
7,738 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2014 14:22 |  #19

fine line between art and accident.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

bpiper7
that type of outlier
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2014 14:36 |  #20

Nathan wrote in post #16793238 (external link)
fine line between art and accident.

Often an invisible one. My son is an art historian. He will take either side of that argument of what is art and destroy you. :D

Bill

Tedder
384 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 28, 2014 16:06 as a reply to  @ bpiper7's post |  #21

I am not a fan of the processing but agree that it can be fun to make over-the-top changes.

Tedder Stephenson on Flickr (external link)

Tedder
384 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 28, 2014 16:09 as a reply to  @ bpiper7's post |  #22

I would also suggest that people who dismiss with inhibition the comfortable results of actual artistry by universally lauded people different from what makes them submit cause refined growths, although it's sometimes the case that artistic growths by comfortably inhibited actual artists suggest that people who dismiss universally lauded refinement should submit.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 28, 2014 16:17 |  #23

Tedder wrote in post #16793489 (external link)
I would also suggest that people who dismiss with inhibition the comfortable results of actual artistry by universally lauded people different from what makes them submit cause refined growths, although it's sometimes the case that artistic growths by comfortably inhibited actual artists suggest that people who dismiss universally lauded refinement should submit.

Wow.. trying to read that gave me a headache! :lol:

Kel
Gear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,683 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2014 16:19 |  #24

1Tanker wrote in post #16793505 (external link)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 28, 2014 16:30 |  #25

I'll pass.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 28, 2014 16:32 |  #26

Tedder wrote in post #16793489 (external link)

Can you rephrase this in English please.  :p

Sevas Tra

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 28, 2014 16:46 |  #27

I find this a very challenging topic to be clear about. If person 'x' finds images a,b,c artful, and if a,b,c have a certain aesthetic (deep vignetting, selective color), I think it's perfectly reasonable for x to apply those effects to their images. In a sense they are arbitrarily applied, I agree, but in a sense they aren't: x is attempting to engage in the language as expressed by images a,b,c.

If we can tease 'content' from 'style' & 'form' -- and I think that's hard to do, I agree that the person engaging in this process is likely failing to think about their contribution to content and certainly style. But I think that's okay.

gonzogolf wrote in post #16793211 (external link)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Tedder
384 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 28, 2014 17:10 |  #28

1Tanker wrote in post #16793505 (external link)

Sorry. My aim was not to cause headaches but to contribute an additional blast of hot air.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2014 18:21 |  #29

Heh!

You should realize, Jarvis, that posting stuff like this in a "General Photography"discussion sub-forum will, well, tend to invite mostly critics, as we have seen!:)!

However, there are spots where you might get more meaningful interaction, both in critiques and maybe some creative ideas.

Here's one thread to check out:

https://photography-on-the.net …7130&highlight=​manipulate

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,738 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2014 21:44 |  #30

art wouldn't be art if it didn't create discussion... lol... in some regard, discourse and dissent sets the boundaries that art push...

still don't like the processing and don't know what "type" it is... playing with settings and calling it art isn't art. i did that in high school when digital media was very new... easy A

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

3,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone a fan of this type of processing?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.