Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2014 (Friday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with importing raw files

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,672 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 29, 2014 06:14 |  #16

shaunmcfd wrote in post #16793904 (external link)
I do have another question though. I am using Photoshop for the first time tonight and I have anout 150 photos to run through it that may or may not need the lighting adjusted. I saved them as raw images to a folder by themselves. Is there a better way to accomplish this or do I need to open them one by one in PS and make adjustments as necessary? I realize this may be a stupid question but I wanted to ask any way. Thanks in advance!

You want to adjust the raw files and you can do this in batch with dpp. Then you can batch convert those to jpg. You also can craft an action in Photoshop, then run that in batch mode on all files in a folder. Both dpp and Photoshop support batch mode processing.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2014 06:29 |  #17

Adobe Bridge comes with Photoshop and you can view raw files and add to the XMP data.

JIM

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 29, 2014 11:58 |  #18

You don't need any software to move (actually copy) your RAW files to your computer.

First, get a card reader and use that, instead of plugging the camera in. A card reader will be faster and more secure transfering files, and you aren't dependent upnn the camera's battery.

Create a destination file on your computer, where you want the RAW files to be archived. Exactly where you set that up is entirely up to you, just make it someplace easy to find and not too deeply embedded in the system. Now open that destination folder.

Next pop the memory card into the card reader and it will appear as another drive.... Open it in another Explorer window and drill down into the folder containing your images. Click on one of them, then use Ctrl A to highlight all of them, then drag and drop all of them to the destination file on your computer. If you use the lefthand mouse button to drag and drop, the files should be copied rather than moved. If you use the righthand button to drag and drop, you'll get a menu allowing move, copy, and more. Choose copy. Depending upon how many files you are moving, it can be just a few seconds or quite a few minutes to transfer.

The reason for copying is just in case something happens. Get in the habit of waiting to delete the images from the memory card (by formating it in your camera) until you have viewed the images on your computer and confirmed they're okay. This is just a simple, easy to do precaution.

It takes a whole lot longer to write or read this, than it does to actually do it once it's set up.

Now you can import those images on your computer into whatever software you want to use. I would recommend you get Photoshop Elements.... It's got features of both Lightroom and Photoshop, lite versions from each, and is reasonably priced.

Lightroom is a very good cataloging tool with batch RAW conversion, but only minimal image editing tools, for high volume work. It can do a lot, but really isn't intended for putting the finishing touches on an image.

Photoshop is the biggest and most complete image editing software, with minimal cataloging and virtually no batch processing ability. It's ideal for finishing select images, but not great when you want to deal with a sizeable number of images. It's also quite expensive and has a hefty learning curve.

For many professionals and advanced amateurs Lightroom is not complete without Photoshop and Photoshop is not complete without Lightroom. Some people make do with only LIghtroom. I use it up to the point of making proof files and proof prints and thumbnail catalogs with it, but it still cannot really do what I need for final image finishing for larger printing or publishing. For that, I pass the image off from to Photoshop.

Elements has both cataloging, batch processing from LR, as well as more image editing abilities like PS, sort of lite versions of features from both LR and PS.... Elements is also a great way to get started... easier to use than either of the two big programs, yet still introducing you to things you will use if and when you ever need or want to "step up" to LR and PS.

I also use Win 7 64 bit. One thing you will notice right away is that you can't view RAW files directly in Explorer. Canon offers a free, downloadable codec that allows viewing CR2 files, but last time I looked it only works on 32 bit systems. So I recommend an inexpensive software called FastPictureViewer (external link), which does allow you to view those RAW files and works on 64 bit systems. It not only allows viewing CR2 files, but also RAW files from virtually any camera manufacturer (I often work with photographers using Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc... so this comes in handy), as well as some other image files that Explorer normally can't display.

Once you have installed FastPictureViewer, which will cost you $15 per computer, you can see all your RAW files when you set the medium, large or extra large icon view in any Explorer window. It also allows you to open any RAW file in Microsoft Photo Viewer which is built into Win 7... However, that's not a color calibrated software and it displays RAW files a bit oddly... so don't trust Photo Viewer for color, contrast, etc. It also doesn't allow you to work on the images in any way. Only use it for a quick larger look at a RAW image, perhaps to help with selection based on exposure, composition, focus, sharpness, noise levels, etc. Just don't trust it for more than a quick preview in a larger size.

Also, you can right click on any file in Explorer and choose other softwares (including Photoshop or Elements) to open that file for editing.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with importing raw files
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.