Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New head for a Hama?

Orias
109 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 29, 2014 09:37 |  #1

Hi all,

I am not really that knowledgeable on the whole tripod scene, so I wanted to ask for some advice to make sure that I don't make a costly mistake.

I currently have a budget Hama Compact Traveller Pro tripod (you can see it HERE (external link)). Despite the cost, it's actually worked perfectly for me so far as I am not a heavy user. Unfortunately I've recently been noticing a lot of play in the top plate of the head, where the quick release plate on the camera snaps into. Basically, when I lock the head, there is some unavoidable movement that drops the camera down by a few mm. I tracked the issue down to a dodgy bolt where both the bolt, and the hole that is screws into, have been stripped. Basically, there is no easy way to fix it without an element of risk to my camera further down the line.

I know I should really fork out for a whole new tripod etc, but it's relatively expensive to do that, and it's not the right time of year for me to splash too much cash. My plan was to maybe get a new replacement head (as the legs etc of the Hama are fine) and then maybe upgrade the main tripod section at a later date, thus splitting the cost.

My main questions really are:
1. Is this a viable course of action?
2. Are there any compatibility issues that I should know about in terms of which heads will fit which tripods? I quite like the look of the Giottos MH5001 (HERE (external link)), but I am worried that it won't fit for some reason. From what I understand the Hama has a 1/4" (6.4mm) head attachment screw, and I think the Giottos 5001 is 3/8". But this is the bit that I am not sure about!

Basically just want something that will do the job, not too expensive, that I can transfer over to a better tripod once funds allow.

Thanks very much for any advice, hope that made some sense!
Cheers, James

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

jtmiv
347 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 29, 2014 12:23 |  #2

Dear Orias,

I have no knowledge of Hama tripods but I do know that it is relatively easy to fit a head with 3/8" threaded hole to a 1/4" threaded shaft with an adapter like the one shown here. You should be able to find one in any decent sized camera store and may be able to find one in a hardware store.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3_8_to_1_4_20_T​ripod.html (external link)

The idea of upgrading your ball head to a better one is a good one but you may want to consider purchasing something that you are confident that you will never outgrow. The brand you select is a personal choice, but you should be sure to get something with the capability to carry far more weight than you are presently using so you don't have to spend money again should you buy or rent a larger heavier lens in the future.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 29, 2014 12:54 as a reply to  @ jtmiv's post |  #3

Thanks very much Tim,

I was looking at the tech specs of the head that I am currently looking at, and it says:

"Mount thread 1/4" and 3/8" " ... so I guess it comes with the ability to fit both sizes which is good. It also says that it's good for up to 6kg which I think will be fine for me for the foreseeable future .. mine only weighs about 1.8kg right now even with my biggest lens + flash etc etc. Should be relatively future-proof if I upgrade the camera body too.

I'll have another shop around, but I think this should work out for me :D
Thanks again,
Cheers, James

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

720 views & 0 likes for this thread
New head for a Hama?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.