Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poor First Shots

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2014 00:56 |  #31

OhLook wrote in post #16800763 (external link)
I'm not familiar with this feature. No DSLR here, just a G.

Thanks!

And I think that might explain it, because this varies by camera model.

Which means that I'm gonna stop my role in this right now. Some cameras operate like you said, some operate like I said, but the person who started this thread DEFINITELY doesn't need to be thinking about any of that right now and how the actual mechanics depend on what camera he has. The bottom line is "more light equals brighter image, less light equals darker image" and that concept applies regardless of what camera he is using.

sponsored links
OhLook
you get what you get
19,330 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 01, 2014 13:08 |  #32

Clean Gene wrote in post #16800809 (external link)
The bottom line is "more light equals brighter image, less light equals darker image" and that concept applies regardless of what camera he is using.

I think he knows that. He just needs to get comfortable with the numerical scales for the three contributors to exposure, so that knowing which way to go becomes easy.

Higher number for the denominator in shutter speed sends LESS light to the sensor

Higher number for aperture (again, this is a denominator) sends LESS light to the sensor

Higher number for ISO sends MORE light to the sensor

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2014 13:40 |  #33

OhLook wrote in post #16801877 (external link)
Higher number for ISO sends MORE light to the sensor

No - higher numbers for ISO just makes the sensor more light-sensitive. But turning up the amplifier to make the sensor more sensitive also adds more noise.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

OhLook
you get what you get
19,330 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 01, 2014 15:48 |  #34

pwm2 wrote in post #16801954 (external link)
No - higher numbers for ISO just makes the sensor more light-sensitive.

Well, okay, how about this: higher numbers for ISO make the picture lighter?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 01, 2014 16:51 |  #35

I actually like the overexposed out of focus winter image. it has it's own artful patina or look. manual is useful for forcing the camera to use auto-iso to adjust exposure while the aperture and shutter speed are fixed. I use lenses which have manual aperture rings but the camera controls the shutter speed and auto-iso when enabled. The other setting I use is A for aperture priority (manual aperture ring) and constant ISO. In this case the shutter speed varies. It depends on the lens and whether I use mirror lockup or high shutter speeds (to loose focus due to mirror slap or camera jitter).

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2014 04:24 |  #36

With all this advice, you must have a better shot you can post here now?

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 02, 2014 17:04 |  #37

Martin Dixon wrote in post #16803508 (external link)
With all this advice, you must have a better shot you can post here now?

Not yet I have been busy with other things hope to get another one up the weekend.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 02, 2014 17:05 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

^^^Quick question: Are you serious about learning photography?

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 02, 2014 18:47 |  #39

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16805000 (external link)
^^^Quick question: Are you serious about learning photography?

Sure am. But I have other things that go on and cannot walk around with a camera in my hand all the time. I work during the day and have honey do list so the weekend is about all the time I have and sometimes I do not have that....is this forum all of a sudden for just photographers that walk around with a camera all the time? If I was not serious I would not have spent what I did for that Canon.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,330 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 02, 2014 18:56 |  #40

ThinMan wrote in post #16805233 (external link)
is this forum all of a sudden for just photographers that walk around with a camera all the time?

No, it isn't. Please post when you can get to it.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 02, 2014 20:27 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

ThinMan wrote in post #16805233 (external link)
Sure am. But I have other things that go on and cannot walk around with a camera in my hand all the time. I work during the day and have honey do list so the weekend is about all the time I have and sometimes I do not have that....is this forum all of a sudden for just photographers that walk around with a camera all the time? If I was not serious I would not have spent what I did for that Canon.

Spending money on photographic equipment does not means any real intention of learning photography. I do not walk around with a camera all the time and I also have a very demanding work. Good luck in whatever you end up doing with your camera.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2014 18:10 |  #42

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16805508 (external link)
Spending money on photographic equipment does not means any real intention of learning photography. I do not walk around with a camera all the time and I also have a very demanding work. Good luck in whatever you end up doing with your camera.

Spending money on photographic equipment does not means any real intention of learning photography.

You are absolutely right. My original intention when I bought the camera was to do gravestone photography and I still plan on doing this occasionally. I am still finding my feet with this. And for its worth I have taken some more photos and will post them in this thread the weekend. And I can say they are a lot better than my first incident with the barn. Thanks to some excellent explanations here on ISO, exposure, and aperture I am getting the hang of it and using MANUAL to do it.

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 03, 2014 20:52 as a reply to  @ ThinMan's post |  #43

I'm not quite sure why it is, but every once in a while, a thread seems to take off in the wrong direction. The recent "6D is Better for Sports than 7D" thread comes to mind.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1364469
OP - I do sense a bit of indignation in some of your responses - not that some of the replies haven't been a somewhat contributing factor. That said, and hopefully moving on - this website, and the vast majority of the users that make up its community, are not only some of the most knowledgeable and talented photographers amassed in one site - they are also for the most part some of the most giving, considerate and helpful to those willing to take their advice and learn. Sounds like you have some incredible gear starting out - the fact you've taken to using manual is a huge first step in learning and understanding the functions of the components in the "exposure triangle". Be patient - shoot as much as possible - and analyze the results and what you can do to alter the results by changing any one, or combination of those 3 components of proper exposure. Be grateful of the advice presented here, even if it's not wrapped up in a pretty bow - you'll benefit greatly from the huge wealth of knowledge and skill just waiting to be tapped into. Looking forward to seeing more of what you shoot.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,782 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 03, 2014 22:01 |  #44

BigLobowski wrote in post #16808225 (external link)
I'm not quite sure why it is, but every once in a while, a thread seems to take off in the wrong direction. The recent "6D is Better for Sports than 7D" thread comes to mind.
OP - I do sense a bit of indignation in some of your responses - not that some of the replies haven't been a somewhat contributing factor. That said, and hopefully moving on - this website, and the vast majority of the users that make up its community, are not only some of the most knowledgeable and talented photographers amassed in one site - they are also for the most part some of the most giving, considerate and helpful to those willing to take their advice and learn. Sounds like you have some incredible gear starting out - the fact you've taken to using manual is a huge first step in learning and understanding the functions of the components in the "exposure triangle". Be patient - shoot as much as possible - and analyze the results and what you can do to alter the results by changing any one, or combination of those 3 components of proper exposure. Be grateful of the advice presented here, even if it's not wrapped up in a pretty bow - you'll benefit greatly from the huge wealth of knowledge and skill just waiting to be tapped into. Looking forward to seeing more of what you shoot.

What he said!! Post up some pics with the exposure info and we can tell you exactly where you are right and where you are wrong!

Canon 5D mk IV, Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 04, 2014 05:06 |  #45

BigLobowski wrote in post #16808225 (external link)

Yeah it has....if a Mod sees this thread close it.

OP - I do sense a bit of indignation in some of your responses - not that some of the replies haven't been a somewhat contributing factor.

Nope. And how so? This is not an Ancient Text site please do not read more into what is not there.

Sounds like you have some incredible gear starting out -

I do. And the fact that one poster decided to take a pot shot at my seriousness about this pissed me off.

I will pleasantly let this go and go find another forum. Or start my own, hell I got V Bulletin to.

sponsored links

9,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Poor First Shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.