Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 31 Mar 2014 (Monday) 00:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"You Suck As A Photographer"!

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 31, 2014 09:33 |  #16

2 minutes doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Get your setup done, use a stand in and be 100% ready by the time you ask for them to step in. I realize it depends on exactly what kind of photo you're generating (environmental might take more time), but 2 minutes should be sufficient to get a reasonable posture and expression.

I think it's good that you asked for the time and got it, but I'm not sure I see how the CEO was being rude.

Gizmo1137 wrote in post #16798871 (external link)
Just rude. I had an assignment to photograph a CEO, upon my arrival in a rude obnoxious way, he told me in no uncertain terms, I had 2-minutes to make the photograph because he was very busy. I said perhaps then we should reschedule at a better time, because I would not be able to do the photographs well or to what was expected of me in 2-minutes. He then said well, how long do you need and I said I can be out in 15 minutes, to which he agreed.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,228 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 31, 2014 09:42 |  #17

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16798885 (external link)
2 minutes doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Get your setup done, use a stand in and be 100% ready by the time you ask for them to step in. I realize it depends on exactly what kind of photo you're generating (environmental might take more time), but 2 minutes should be sufficient to get a reasonable posture and expression.

I think it's good that you asked for the time and got it, but I'm not sure I see how the CEO was being rude.

Often times with people in power, CEO's or Politicians they often say stuff like that to make sure you know that their time is more valuable than yours. Personally I like the approach of offering to reschedule. It says that you value doing a good job and aren't prepared to sacrifice quality for expedience. Once you do that, you get respect back, unless the guy is a total asshat.

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 31, 2014 10:31 |  #18

in over 300 wedding never herd something like that
i think you might have to do better at catering to all guests even the drunk and hungry

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,969 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 31, 2014 10:46 |  #19

jkdjedi wrote in post #16798368 (external link)
I've only done two weddings so far and on both of them I've had a woman tell me that I suck as a photographer. What gives!? Is there always that one in the crowd at every wedding??

The odds of there being at least one increase with the amount of liquor served.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

jkdjedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 31, 2014 11:08 |  #20

peeaanuut wrote in post #16798868 (external link)
the hungry one is explainable, but still not good.

People, no matter how many weddings they go to tend to forget that there generally is a large gap between ceremony and reception and an even further gap until the food starts. They get cranky. She was just hangry, rude, but hangry. The other one was drunk.

But the question is, were the clients pleased?

Yes they were very pleased, I got an unexpected tip from them. :)

http://www.fernandezim​ages.com/ (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 31, 2014 11:56 |  #21

So many generalizations about poor people, CEOs and politicians... which basically says we've run the gamut of the human socio-economic spectrum. Put those generalizations aside... if people are arseholes, they are arseholes, regardless. Status has nothing to do with it. I've worked and volunteer with "poor" people and now I work regularly with CEOs of small to large size companies and politicians. All sorts of types, but 98% of the time people are courteous, polite and professional.

Part of it has to do with my effort in presenting myself as courteous, polite and professional. That's what is key here. Sorry to the OP for encountering these situations. Just remember that your response should always be courteous, polite and professional regardless.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 31, 2014 12:17 |  #22

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16798885 (external link)

I should have mentioned in my original post the two minutes included set-up as it was in his office and studio lights. Under the circumstances you described, I would agree, 2-minutes would be enough time. But this guy was expecting me in and out in 2-minutes.

Best, Bruce

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 31, 2014 12:36 |  #23

^ ah. That's insane ! You handled it well.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,969 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 31, 2014 13:32 |  #24

Nathan wrote in post #16799156 (external link)
So many generalizations about poor people, CEOs and politicians...

Any problem with generalizations about wedding guests who drink too much?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 31, 2014 15:22 |  #25

OhLook wrote in post #16799396 (external link)

They're people, too. :p

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,654 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 31, 2014 19:05 |  #26

OhLook wrote in post #16799396 (external link)

In my experience the behavior of inebriated people is about as variable as sober people.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2014 10:53 |  #27

Pixil Studio wrote in post #16798980 (external link)
in over 300 wedding never herd something like that
i think you might have to do better at catering to all guests even the drunk and hungry

I concur. It happening once is a worry. Twice is a clear sign the OP isn't managing things very well.

Personally I find the drunker people get the more complimentary they get.

Peter

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 01, 2014 11:21 |  #28

Hopefully with time you will get the opposite. Although I am retired from wedding photography my clients usually are surprised at the minimum time I got the formals. There is a certain sequence I follow and the mono-light is set up prior so that it will take longer to get people to the front than to set it up. Always make sure that they see themselves as holding you up. You must also learn to use the bride and groom to control the crowd. Repetition good! When meeting with them tell them you order. Remind them of your order on the day when you see them before the ceremony. Remind them again when the time comes. Soon they will become your lieutenants in control of the family. They want to get to the reception as well. my 2 cents.

BTW, not a fan of the formals, would rather the informal.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 01, 2014 13:38 |  #29

jkdjedi wrote in post #16798394 (external link)
LOL!! Not sure anymore... I was setting up my monolight for formals and I guess her party was hungry wanting me to hurry up, she yells it loud enough for me to hear ... It hurt but I calmly explained that I'd rather set things up once rather than rushing and setting things up two or three times... Anyway lesson learned though, leave the moonlight at home and do what u can with something more portable.

How long did it take you to get setup? If you kept the people waiting for more than 5 minutes then yes....you do suck as a photographer.

You really should be able to set your light in less than a minute or two at the most.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 01, 2014 13:55 |  #30

Your client was happy, so I would brush it off and move on. You really can't please some people.

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

sponsored links

9,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
"You Suck As A Photographer"!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.