Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 12:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WL-X3200 and Hypersync: Best transceivers?

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2014 12:48 |  #1

I am looking to purchase one of PCB's White Lightning X3200's for use with hypersync as many claim this is a winning recipe. I currently own 4x YN-622's but after a bad shoot on the weekend, I'm ready to toss them in the garbabe. I can't rely on YongNuo anymore. So, with that said, what should I buy to trigger my future X3200 and potentially other PCB strobes? Are PW's a no-brainer or are there other viable and most importantly, RELIABLE options now? Please, steer me in the right direction.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2014 14:13 |  #2

Hmmmm.... I just watched a bunch of different comparison videos and it seems like PW really 'is' the best system without a doubt. Anyone care to persuade me otherwise?

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 01, 2014 14:29 |  #3

The plus X range is $99 each, but for reliablity they hard to beat, especially if you sharing space with other shooters or theres a fair distance between you and the lights.

Why do you say the Yongnuo's failed you?

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2014 15:05 |  #4

FerozeK wrote in post #16802060 (external link)
The plus X range is $99 each, but for reliablity they hard to beat, especially if you sharing space with other shooters or theres a fair distance between you and the lights.

Why do you say the Yongnuo's failed you?

The Plus X can do hypersync?

My YN-622's have been VERY unreliable. My last 2 snowboard/ski shoots were a total embarrassment. I brought a bag full of fully charged AA eneloops as well as a bag of energizer alkalines. No matter what I did, about half of the images were misfires. I'm sick of @#$%ing around. I have the money, I just figured 'why waste money' when the YN-622's were so capable. Now I now why. When you want reliability, you need to shell out the bucks.

That's another discussion altogether though. I am looking for a wireless system that allows for Hypersync and so far it seems like PW may be the best option.

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2014 19:09 as a reply to  @ Aressem's post |  #5

You guys took too long to reply so I pulled the trigger and bought a Mini + Flex + AC3. Now I'm just contemplating, keep the ranger and buy a Freelite S head for hypersync, OR sell all my Elinchrom stuff and jump ships to PCB and try out the WL X3200 and vagabond. Decisions, decisions....

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2014 19:16 |  #6

6 hours. That's some serious patience right there. :lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2014 19:21 |  #7

I was going to ask if you had looked at the Odins. Especially with the troubles PW have been having lately.

http://flashhavoc.com …-odin-ttl-trigger-review/ (external link)

With firmware updates from August 2013 the Phottix Odin TTL triggers for Canon and Nikon have a great feature called Over Drive Sync, or ODS. ODS is a fast and simple (but also very precise) timing adjustment, allowing you to tune in the best results possible when using higher sync speeds with studio lights. Adjustments are made quickly and easily directly on the Odin transmitter interface.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2014 19:35 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16802741 (external link)
I was going to ask if you had looked at the Odins. Especially with the troubles PW have been having lately.

http://flashhavoc.com …-odin-ttl-trigger-review/ (external link)

What troubles?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2014 20:29 |  #9

Aressem wrote in post #16802770 (external link)
What troubles?

Just search here for any recent PW thread. ;) When a company has to lay off half their workforce it's usually not a good sign.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 01, 2014 21:07 |  #10

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16802868 (external link)
Just search here for any recent PW thread. ;) When a company has to lay off half their workforce it's usually not a good sign.

Ah right I'm aware of that but not concerned. i can't see PW collapsing.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2014 21:21 |  #11

I'm pretty sure people said that about Kodak too. ;)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 01, 2014 22:43 |  #12

Should have post a PW wanted thread. I would have sold you mine for peanuts. They are sitting on my desk as paper weights.

PW will be obsolete in 2 years... If they even last that long.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 02, 2014 07:34 |  #13

EmaginePixel wrote in post #16803178 (external link)
Should have post a PW wanted thread. I would have sold you mine for peanuts. They are sitting on my desk as paper weights.

PW will be obsolete in 2 years... If they even last that long.

Do you have the AC9 or the one for Eli? Send me a PM

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 02, 2014 22:16 |  #14

Aressem,
Was the problems related to the triggers or to expecting the lights to recycle faster than they are capable of recycling on batteries. Remember, hyper sync means the capacitor energy is expended over time. So there is more drain than for a similar exposure setting with x-sync.

Most triggers, especially PW, are sensitive to battery voltage. I think Yongnou recommends only fresh alkys I know PW does.

Of all the things I can think of that will muck up a HyperSync shoot, the triggers, if they support FP sync, are not the first concern.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 03, 2014 15:59 |  #15

dmward wrote in post #16805772 (external link)
Aressem,
Was the problems related to the triggers or to expecting the lights to recycle faster than they are capable of recycling on batteries. Remember, hyper sync means the capacitor energy is expended over time. So there is more drain than for a similar exposure setting with x-sync.

Most triggers, especially PW, are sensitive to battery voltage. I think Yongnou recommends only fresh alkys I know PW does.

Of all the things I can think of that will muck up a HyperSync shoot, the triggers, if they support FP sync, are not the first concern.

I was not shooting one after another. It was a competition so there was plenty of time in between shots. Even during test shots, the YN-622's just blow in terms of range. It's really disappointing because I LOVED these puppies :( I was using Sanyo Eneloops in one and brand new Energizer AA Alkalines in another.

sponsored links

2,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
WL-X3200 and Hypersync: Best transceivers?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.