Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I REALLY messed up!

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 01, 2014 17:03 |  #1

I rented a 5D mark iii...............I 've used a 7D for all my dance comps shoots over the last three years and have always gotten good results. This time I decided to rent a 5D 3 and put it through its paces. Here is what I found vs my 7D when shooting dance comps.

1. The focusing systen on the 5D 3 is'nt better than the 7D's.....Its "WAY" better. I took 428 shots and missed focus on 3. Three shots, and those 3 were not unusable if I really needed them. I really liked the red focus spot indicator to instantly see where I had focused the shot. I didnt know it had until I used it. Very nice feature

2. ISO performance on the 5D 3 is much much better. No contest for this type of shooting. It performed so well I was able to shoot @ 1/1000 SS @ ISO 1600 for alot of the dances. On the 7D I would struggle to maintain 1/500 of a sec @ ISO 6400 at the same venue in the past.

3. The RAW files were amazing. One dance in particular a girl was wearing a Wedding dress. In the shot her gown was blown out bad and I figured it was a not a keeper. In post I decided to see what I could do with it. The ability to recover the dress was unreal. I brought it back down to reveal a beautiful shot.

I still love the 7D. It is a great camera however the 5D mark 3 lived up to all the hype I have read about it. I am sold on this camera.

So you ask "How did I mess up"? ...............Now I have to buy one.

Anyone looking for a kidney? I may have one for sale.

sponsored links
xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2014 17:56 |  #2

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16802442 (external link)
I rented a 5D mark iii...............I 've used a 7D for all my dance comps shoots over the last three years and have always gotten good results. This time I decided to rent a 5D 3 and put it through its paces. Here is what I found vs my 7D when shooting dance comps.

1. The focusing systen on the 5D 3 is'nt better than the 7D's.....Its "WAY" better. I took 428 shots and missed focus on 3. Three shots, and those 3 were not unusable if I really needed them. I really liked the red focus spot indicator to instantly see where I had focused the shot. I didnt know it had until I used it. Very nice feature

2. ISO performance on the 5D 3 is much much better. No contest for this type of shooting. It performed so well I was able to shoot @ 1/1000 SS @ ISO 1600 for alot of the dances. On the 7D I would struggle to maintain 1/500 of a sec @ ISO 6400 at the same venue in the past.

3. The RAW files were amazing. One dance in particular a girl was wearing a Wedding dress. In the shot her gown was blown out bad and I figured it was a not a keeper. In post I decided to see what I could do with it. The ability to recover the dress was unreal. I brought it back down to reveal a beautiful shot.

I still love the 7D. It is a great camera however the 5D mark 3 lived up to all the hype I have read about it. I am sold on this camera.

So you ask "How did I mess up"? ...............Now I have to buy one.

Anyone looking for a kidney? I may have one for sale.

I'm a little confused about your comment about iso performance. Light is light regardless of which camera you are using. If you are shooting perfect exposure at 1/500 2.8 at 6400 that should be the settings with the 5d as well.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,506 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2014 18:10 |  #3

One of the advantages of the FF sensors is that they have larger pixels and therefore a better signal to noise ratio for each one. This gives better results at higher ISOs vs the smaller pixels on the crop sensors or P&S sensors. So, all things equal in the exposure, you have much more manageable noise at any ISO on a FF sensor over a crop sensor.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2014 18:21 |  #4

Well, it looks as if some cameras take better pictures than others after all, huh? :)

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

jkbeats
152 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 01, 2014 18:23 |  #5

It all comes down to how you use your equipment. If you got good shots out the 5d 3 with that success rate then it just might be for you

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2014 18:29 |  #6

I'd agree that the OP should clarify the remarks about ISO "performance". the OP says:

"ISO performance on the 5D 3 is much much better. No contest for this type of shooting. It performed so well I was able to shoot @ 1/1000 SS @ ISO 1600 for alot of the dances. On the 7D I would struggle to maintain 1/500 of a sec @ ISO 6400 at the same venue in the past."

If the values you post are correct, that is "1/1000 SS @ ISO 1600" for the 5D and then "1/500 of a sec @ ISO 6400" for the 7D, well, I'm not sure what you are referring to..., unless you are saying that you got good recovery from underexposing the shot compared to the 7D shot? Or is it possible that the 5D shot was actually a higher ISO than 1600/6400? Or...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2014 20:02 |  #7

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16802442 (external link)

That just means there was more light or a wider aperture when you used the 5DIII.

ISO 1600 on the 5DIII with the same aperture will produce the same shutter speed as ISO 1600 on a 7D or any other camera.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 02, 2014 09:22 |  #8

Sirrith wrote in post #16802828 (external link)
That just means there was more light or a wider aperture when you used the 5DIII.

Or, it's a very good example of the hyperbole that is endemic amongst the FF evangelists.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Acetoolguy
397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 02, 2014 16:03 |  #9

I remember a study, or a Candid Camera episode....where they told some kids the mashed potatoes with fudge sauce was vanilla ice cream. Most of the kids said they loved it. you believe what you want to believe and see what you want to see.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 02, 2014 16:07 |  #10

I have both and like you I concluded the 5diii blows the 7d away. I am going to sell my 7d soon and upgrade. I still have some wonderful shots with the 7d. in particular i enjoy it for outdoors

sponsored links

1,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
I REALLY messed up!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.