Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ETTL issues when using multiple 600EXRT setup with on camera flash

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 01, 2014 18:43 |  #1

Ok, so hopefully someone here can help or give insight.

I'm encountering issues with this set-up:

2 600EX RT's set up on stands, and 1 600EX RT on camera.

When the 2 off camera flashes are behind the subject, the on camera flash underexposes when in a bounce position (works ok when straight on). Camera is in M mode. This was tested with a low, white ceiling.

I've tried this in both full ETTL on all flashes (in group mode), as well as setting the off camera flashes on M and dialing them way down and leaving the on camera flash on ETTL. I'm guessing the camera meter is seeing the bright flashes behind the subject as a well exposed scene and thus will not give a lot of fill? I've tried both spot and matrix metering with similar results.

The idea is to create rim/side light, while the subject is correctly exposed, and turning off and on various flashes as needed. This is all in Group mode. I want to use this type of lighting for wedding receptions.

Another issue I'm encountering, is when in group mode, if I turn off the OCF's (from the flash menu), the on camera flash won't fire, even if it's set to fire. I will have to take the flash out of group for it to fire.

Hope this all makes sense!

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 01, 2014 19:06 |  #2

pstyle1 wrote in post #16802650 (external link)
I'm guessing the camera meter is seeing the bright flashes behind the subject as a well exposed scene and thus will not give a lot of fill? I've tried both spot and matrix metering with similar results.

This is correct…..
The bright rim lights are telling the camera, "Hey there's a lot of light in this scene…" Thus shutting off the On-Camera Flash which leads to an underexposed image. Upping the Exposure Comp on the On-Camera Flash to say a +1 or +2 may help…..

The idea is to create rim/side light, while the subject is correctly exposed, and turning off and on various flashes as needed. This is all in Group mode. I want to use this type of lighting for wedding receptions.

At my Wedding Receptions, what I do is set the two OCF to Manual, (Left side Group-B / Right Side Group C) then meter my exposure towards the middle of the dance floor (For Example, let's say ISO 1600 @ f/2.0). Then set my On-Camera Flash (Group A) to E-TTL… Camera is in Manual Mode at ISO 1600 Shutter between 1/30 - 1/200 @ f2.8 (My shutter range is so, depending on the amount of ambient I want to let in). Now, you can still shut off which individual Groups you want or keep them all on…..

Another issue I'm encountering, is when in group mode, if I turn off the OCF's (from the flash menu), the on camera flash won't fire, even if it's set to fire. I will have to take the flash out of group for it to fire.

Never had this experience…..

MARK

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 01, 2014 19:25 |  #3

How do you assign a group to the on camera flash? It's not obvious to me just looking at the back lcd of the flash. I just make sure the little flash symbol is on so it will fire.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 01, 2014 20:13 |  #4

The on-camera flash adopts Group A settings. So, to set a ratio, the on-stand flashes should be in group B,

In the camera's flash control menus, set Wireless = Enabled, Firing Group = A:B, and A:B ratio to something like 2:1, then test and adjust.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 01, 2014 20:28 |  #5

pstyle1 wrote in post #16802756 (external link)
How do you assign a group to the on camera flash? It's not obvious to me just looking at the back lcd of the flash. I just make sure the little flash symbol is on so it will fire.

The On-Camera Flash is automatically set as Group A.....

MARK

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 01, 2014 21:42 |  #6

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16802867 (external link)
The On-Camera Flash is automatically set as Group A.....

Ah.. thanks for that! That's why the on camera flash kept turning off when I turned my Group A OCF off! Learned something new! Thanks again!

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 01, 2014 21:46 |  #7

aaaand that took care of my under exposure issue.. DUH! I didn't know the on camera flash was automatically set to Group A, so when I had my Group A on manual power at 1/64th, the on camera was also on M!

I was scratching my head for way too long over that one.

I owe you a beer next time I'm in Houston!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 01, 2014 21:57 |  #8

I use Gr mode exclusively at wedding receptions.
On camera is Gr A usually set to -1 or more EV ETTL
One off camera 600EX-RT in Gr B set to -2/3 EV ETTL
Other off camera 600EX-RT to Gr C set to 0 EV ETTL

Works like a charm. I usually have the camera set in M to about -1 1/2 to -2 EV.

The result is:

IMAGE: http://www.dmwfotos.com/weddings/galleries/sharronryan/photos/20130316DMWB0886-SR.jpg

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,021 views & 0 likes for this thread
ETTL issues when using multiple 600EXRT setup with on camera flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.