Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jul 2005 (Sunday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still unsure what Bokeh means?

this thread is locked
Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 02, 2014 01:36 |  #16

Bump ;-)a

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 02, 2014 01:46 |  #17

LOL Nick

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 02, 2014 02:00 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16803358 (external link)
Why not? I absolutely love old threads, and personally wish that no thread would ever die. I think that every thread ever started should go on and on, with replies on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. I hate it when all of the top threads in a forum all all ones that were started within the past year. I like what Adharr is doing, as it is a great way to bring these abandoned threads back to the top of the lists. Thanks, Adharr!

start searching then if you love them so much...i think you'll find really quickly that people get annoyed when the OP hasn't been around for 5 years, and yet you're out there trying to give them advice...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 02, 2014 02:17 |  #19

dead threads with no replies have no replies for a reason

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2014 06:43 |  #20

Adharr wrote in post #16803145 (external link)
No, I was seriously trying to be nice and answer old questions that nobody bothered answering. I just did a search for threads with 0 replies and started answering them.

But most of those old questions have been asked a hundred times since that thread started, the meaning of bokeh crops up quite often for sure. So, if you are going to answer that question, surely it is better to do so in a post where the OP is fresh and still looking for an answer. Reviving a 9 year old thread just to answer a question that has been answered a hundred times between then and now is just clogging up the forum and making it harder for those asking questions NOW to be seen.

It isn't helping the OP, as they will have sorted out the answer years ago, and it isn't helping out others who may be asking the same question as a quick search for "bokeh" will provide many threads where the meaning has been discussed already.

Why not? I absolutely love old threads, and personally wish that no thread would ever die.

Why not? Well, some of us spend much of our time in these forums trying to help out others. We have limited time and wasting some of that by trying to help someone with a query or problem, who no longer uses the site and will never see the answer, is time that could have been spent helping somebody who has a problem NOW.

Some of these necro threads have been answered by people asking the (now non existent) OP a string of questions to try and narrow down the problem they are having, and asking them to post images with exif etc., in order to help them out. This can take quite a bit of time when the original question was "why are my pictures blurry" for example. Surely it is better to spend that time on a current problem somebody is having, and with whom we can continue the process of sorting out their issue with a two way communication.

Nothing bugs me more than spending 20 minutes giving a detailed answer to somebody's question, then finding out that they are long gone and I could have answered a more relevant thread.

Imagine if you got your wish and "no thread ever died". We would have thousands of "24-70 or 24-105", "should I use a filter or not" type threads, which come up every week anyway as new threads, filling the front page and anybody asking new and more interesting questions would just be lost in the background noise.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 02, 2014 07:51 |  #21

sandpiper wrote in post #16803612 (external link)
Why not? Well, some of us spend much of our time in these forums trying to help out others. We have limited time and wasting some of that by trying to help someone with a query or problem, who no longer uses the site and will never see the answer, is time that could have been spent helping somebody who has a problem NOW.

Some of these necro threads have been answered by people asking the (now non existent) OP a string of questions to try and narrow down the problem they are having, and asking them to post images with exif etc., in order to help them out. This can take quite a bit of time when the original question was "why are my pictures blurry" for example. Surely it is better to spend that time on a current problem somebody is having, and with whom we can continue the process of sorting out their issue with a two way communication.

Nothing bugs me more than spending 20 minutes giving a detailed answer to somebody's question, then finding out that they are long gone and I could have answered a more relevant thread.

Imagine if you got your wish and "no thread ever died". We would have thousands of "24-70 or 24-105", "should I use a filter or not" type threads, which come up every week anyway as new threads, filling the front page and anybody asking new and more interesting questions would just be lost in the background noise.

In addition to these valid reasons, bumping 20+ threads in less than an hour will drive current threads down and off of the first page, meaning that they're much less likely to be seen by a fresh pair of eyes (ie someone not already subscribed). Necrodude claims he's trying to be helpful but this behavior is very counter-productive.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

kb9tdj
585 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 02, 2014 09:00 |  #22

WhyFi wrote in post #16803702 (external link)
In addition to these valid reasons, bumping 20+ threads in less than an hour will drive current threads down and off of the first page, meaning that they're much less likely to be seen by a fresh pair of eyes (ie someone not already subscribed). Necrodude claims he's trying to be helpful but this behavior is very counter-productive.

Yeah, I just got sucked in to replying to an 8 yr old thread because I didn't look at the original post date more closely. Ugh.

Scott
1D Mk IV | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 1.4x Extender
www.scottrichardsonpho​tography.com (external link) YouTube Channel (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,011 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Apr 02, 2014 11:27 |  #23

Please don't tell others what to do.

Interesting.... certain cooking utensils come to mind. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 02, 2014 15:14 |  #24

Adharr wrote in post #16803145 (external link)
No, I was seriously trying to be nice and answer old questions that nobody bothered answering. I just did a search for threads with 0 replies and started answering them.

Nice or not, I'm in the "please don't do it" camp. At the very least, you could have made your intentions clear in your first response.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,890 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2014 20:09 |  #25

dexy101 wrote in post #16802888 (external link)
Adharr is bumping tons of old threads, highly annoying.

He's continuing to do so. Several more today. Its obstructive. His responses to these old threads aren't even interesting. They seem to be mostly platitudes and are unremarkable and don't add any real value that would justify in any way re-opening 10 year old threads. I wish admin would put stop to this. It's a waste of time looking at "new" posts in the last 2 days.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 02, 2014 20:24 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

mwsilver wrote in post #16805453 (external link)
He's continuing to do so. Several more today. Its obstructive. His responses to these old threads aren't even interesting. They seem to be mostly platitudes and are unremarkable and don't add any real value that would justify in any way re-opening 10 year old threads. I wish admin would put stop to this. It's a waste of time looking at "new" posts in the last 2 days.

I already talked to the mods about this. Calm down friend.

My Homepage (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,889 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2014 20:26 |  #27

This is funny.:lol::lol::lol:

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 02, 2014 20:27 |  #28

Adharr wrote in post #16805498 (external link)
Calm down friend.

Nah - we're allowed to think that your behavior is annoying.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,890 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2014 20:29 |  #29

Adharr wrote in post #16805498 (external link)
I already talked to the mods about this. Calm down friend.

You are disruptive. No two ways about it. Are you going to reopen every dead thread on the forum just because you can? Most threads are dead for a reason. All you are doing is pushing brand new threads farther back and then THEY will not get responses. You are helping no one but yourself. Very selfish.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

windpig
Chopped liver
14,889 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2014 20:30 |  #30

Actually, I find for sale threads that don't get locked after the sale to be the most annoying.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

6,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still unsure what Bokeh means?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.