Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 07:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon is facing a serious downturn

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 02, 2014 07:11 |  #1

After being with Amazon for many years it seems the giant is going to slay itself soon. Gone are the days of damn near everything being cheaper than retail and with free shipping to boot. Many sellers and especially the Chinese are no longer shipping as much product for Prime fulfillment. This means most items are now priced the same or even cheaper in some cases on eBay.

And on top of all the minor issues Prime is going up in cost. They boot customers who return to many items without saying how much is to much. Customer service is now sourced to India and the selection of goods actually worth buying to save a buck is shrinking by the week. I can barely find what I need without having to wait a week or more for Amazon to actually get new stock.

Plus they want customers to pay a higher premium to be a Prime member but they don't want to offer increased benefits. I used to love/support Amazon and spent so much money there. But I can no longer see that added value in paying to be a customer anymore. If they had the same benefits as Costco for example it would be different. In most cases however even Walmart now has better deals along with dirt cheap shipping.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 02, 2014 08:20 |  #2

I just bought a 70D and a 35 f/2 IS lens from Amazon. I haven't had a problem with them. In both cases, their prices were as good as anyone I could find other places: $150 off list for the 70D and $40 off the lens.

I buy their kindle books for books with no colored photographs as I use their paperwhite model. I like the convenience of a smaller device instead of adding to buy already too full bookshelves. I do buy actual photography books, for instance.

Last year, I think I paid $89 for their Prime membership. This year, it will increase $10. That's less than one order's two day shipping cost. I can't manage to get upset about it. I did make an effort for a few milliseconds.

That being said, I am going to make an effort to use both B&H and Adorama more often.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 02, 2014 09:10 |  #3

I agree they are losing my love, but I'm not bailing on them yet. Stock is drying up and their CS quality is eroding IMO.

I preordered an item. On the day it was supposed to ship, the stock went to backorder with no expected ship date. I chatted with customer service. They informed me that they didn't know why my order wasn't filled and then said they have no idea when they would receive stock.

They asked me if they answered my questions. I said no. Then they asked what I thought they should do to fix the problem. I said find out when you expect to stock the item. They said they didn't no. Then they asked me if they answered my questions. I said no and hung up.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2014 09:24 |  #4

isoMorphic wrote in post #16803638 (external link)
If they had the same benefits as Costco for example it would be different. In most cases however even Walmart now has better deals along with dirt cheap shipping.

+1 on the Costco suggestion. I wish they'd give out little samples of food as we shop, maybe use those drones to deliver it.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 02, 2014 09:36 |  #5

Gone are the days of damn near everything being cheaper than retail and with free shipping to boot.

Most everything I've needed and wanted in the last 3-4 years has been Prime eligible.

This means most items are now priced the same or even cheaper in some cases on eBay.

This has been the case for a while. eBay always has good deals. But it doesn't have 2-day shipping or Amazon CS.

And on top of all the minor issues Prime is going up in cost.

It's called inflation. Everything increases in cost eventually. I'm surprised it took Amazon this long to increase the cost of Prime.

They boot customers who return to many items without saying how much is to much.

They boot customers that abuse the return policy. I don't see anything wrong with that.

They boot customers who return to many items without saying how much is to much. Customer service is now sourced to India

I deal with their CS about once a month and have never had an issue.

I can barely find what I need without having to wait a week or more for Amazon to actually get new stock.

Maybe because actually more people are turning to Amazon and buying up the stock before you?

Plus they want customers to pay a higher premium to be a Prime member but they don't want to offer increased benefits.

Gas prices have gone up and up...no increased benefits, yet I still buy gas.

But I can no longer see that added value in paying to be a customer anymore.

I'm sure Amazon will survive without you.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2014 09:37 |  #6

Still mainly an Amazon shopper. I bought a very nice APC Back-UPS the other day for $30 or so less than most other retailers and got 2-day shipping with Prime. Not bad for a 28lb package. The main thing that will hurt Amazon sales will be if Congress passes an internet sales tax. But even then, we'll still be using Amazon because out here in the boonies we have very few other choices. Nearest Sam's Club is an hour away. No Costco here.

Mark J.
Gear

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 02, 2014 09:37 |  #7

Amazon customer service has done right by me several times in the past few months, I'm sticking with them for items which I can't find easily or as cheaply over here.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2014 09:41 |  #8

I know someone who got a camera and lenses from Amazon, took them to Europe for a week, then returned them when they got home. Basically they "borrowed" the stuff from Amazon. I have no problem with Amazon booting the return policy abusers. They should do it more often.

My other favorite shopping place is LL Bean. But if you order something from them and it doesn't fit, you eat the return shipping.

Mark J.
Gear

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,736 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2014 09:51 |  #9

Is it that Amazon is getting more expensive or others have gotten the message and are competing with them. All in all it's good for costumers and an example of competition at it's finest. Now it's Amazons turn to innovate once again driving prices even lower.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

outmywindow
672 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 02, 2014 09:53 |  #10

M_Six wrote in post #16803930 (external link)
Still mainly an Amazon shopper. I bought a very nice APC Back-UPS the other day for $30 or so less than most other retailers and got 2-day shipping with Prime. Not bad for a 28lb package. The main thing that will hurt Amazon sales will be if Congress passes an internet sales tax. But even then, we'll still be using Amazon because out here in the boonies we have very few other choices. Nearest Sam's Club is an hour away. No Costco here.

In states where Amazon has some type of presence, the sales tax alone has already made buying some items (particularly items which are essentially priced the same as local retailers) not worth the hassle of waiting for shipping and whatnot because it essentially comes out to being the same price locally, and if you buy it local you can walk away with the item in hand vs waiting 2 days. Mind you I still use Amazon to buy a lot of things, but I have definitely become much more selective recently.

Just a soul with a camera

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 02, 2014 09:59 |  #11

my only complaint with amazon is their increasing usage of USPS-based fulfillment

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2014 10:00 |  #12

outmywindow wrote in post #16803971 (external link)
In states where Amazon has some type of presence, the sales tax alone has already made buying some items (particularly items which are essentially priced the same as local retailers) not worth the hassle of waiting for shipping and whatnot because it essentially comes out to being the same price locally, and if you buy it local you can walk away with the item in hand vs waiting 2 days. Mind you I still use Amazon to buy a lot of things, but I have definitely become much more selective recently.

I'm sure if they pass the internet sales tax or Amazon develops a presence here I'll be more choosy as well, but as I said, there aren't a lot of options here. I'm seriously into instant gratification and if could drive down the street to buy a lens I would, even if it cost a bit more.

Mark J.
Gear

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2014 10:01 |  #13

ekinnyc wrote in post #16803984 (external link)
my only complaint with amazon is their increasing usage of USPS-based fulfillment

I hate that. Sometimes I'll have UPS hold it for pickup so I can get it a day or two earlier. The UPS depot is 10 minutes away.

Mark J.
Gear

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 02, 2014 10:16 |  #14

I don't think it is an issue with Amazon no longer offering low prices and free shipping, I think that the competition is finally catching up and competing successfully. I hate driving to the store only to find something not in stock so 2 day prime is good for me. Not sitting in traffic and dealing with the stress of that is worth the prime fee.

The competition is offering similar shipping options but not at the level amazon is with tracking, easy returns, customer service, etc. I will give it another year on my membership then reevaluate.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 02, 2014 10:39 |  #15

Eventually, all 50 states will pass legislation that forces online retailers to collect their sales tax. As was mentioned earlier, it's already automatic if the online retailer has a distribution center in the state.

This will open up the door for brick and mortar store restarts. We had a great photo shop here until they could no longer compete due to the sales tax issue. They could get their prices the same as Amazon, B&H and Adorama, but they couldn't compete when they had to add 6% sales tax to the order.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

5,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon is facing a serious downturn
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.