Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 00:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Commercial Photographer | help on blog ideas

AlanMura
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2014 00:21 |  #1

Hey everyone!

After overhauling my website I decided to start a blog. I often get requests on this forum (people and glamour/nude) on how I retouch and process images, and general tutorial stuff... however, I am wondering if there are other blog topics people from here might want to see? Tutorials would be the obvious... but what elements do you all (beginners-seasoned pros) look for in photography blogs??? besides pictures of course.

Thanks!

Feel free to check out my new site at: www.AlanMura.com (external link)

Regards,

Alan

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 02, 2014 07:23 |  #2

AlanMura wrote in post #16803303 (external link)
Hey everyone!

After overhauling my website I decided to start a blog. I often get requests on this forum (people and glamour/nude) on how I retouch and process images, and general tutorial stuff... however, I am wondering if there are other blog topics people from here might want to see? Tutorials would be the obvious... but what elements do you all (beginners-seasoned pros) look for in photography blogs??? besides pictures of course.

Thanks!

Feel free to check out my new site at: www.AlanMura.com (external link)

Regards,

Alan

Considering the importance of technique and that most users of this forum will be new to those techniques, it looks as if you've already answered your own question.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,978 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2014 07:31 |  #3

Hi Alan - you may want to consider featuring current projects, exhibits or shows in which you've been involved. I sometimes use those as a way to demonstrate technique on my own blog but mainly it helps to keep me in touch with family and friends.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 02, 2014 07:43 |  #4

I always look for behind the scenes and setups. U can describe to me in words for pages on end, but one photo of your setup works best for me....

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2014 09:30 |  #5

I'd like to see some case studies - from concept/vision all the way through the final product.
- Fleshing out the vision
- finding a model, assistant(s), MUA, wardrobe
- preparing a location/set
- lighting setup - not just "here's what I did," but "here's the look that I wanted, and these are the components that contributed to that look"
- directing the model
- culling the chaff and picking the keepers
- the retouch process
- prepping the file for final output
- creating the final output
- delivering to the client
- the final display.

I personally could stand to benefit from some seeing some full walkthroughs of others' retouching process. My retouching has stagnated, I need to find my path to take it to the next step.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,328 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 02, 2014 09:36 |  #6

The blog posts I prefer are those that take an image from concept to completion. By that I mean you describe the process of making an image from the initial idea, then describing how you decided to construct it, with an emphasis on lighting (if needed), location selection, and other descriptions. Its helpful if the behind the scenes images reflect the conditions you are working in. (if you are overpowering the sun to make it look darker, show it), that sort of thing.

1000WordsPhotography
515 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2014 11:16 |  #7

As a professional photographer I'd want to know more about the business of photography. How to find clients, stories around managing troubling clients and situations, that kind of thing. There are hundreds if not thousands of blogs on techniques but not a lot in that niche. And every blogger that I personally read regularly also dishes a little about who to make my business run better.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 02, 2014 12:52 |  #8

How ya gonna make money?

Seriously, do you have a monetizing plan? Otherwise it seems you're taking time away from the money making portion of your business.

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2014 14:07 |  #9

I go to bed and there are no responses and when I log on in the morning I have 7! Thank you all for your input, I truly appreciate it!

As a general response to everyone, I definitely will be posting BTS pics... That is a definite! As far as the business side of everything, I am still on the fence, but some tutorials here and there will I am definitely going to post.

Lastly, as far as monetizing my blog... This is a possibility eventually, however I believe that the monetization will come in a secondary form. I teach a pretty popular workshop 2/month here in LA. Many of the photographers follow my work, so it would be a secondary way of engaging new interest in my workshops. I do want to keep the blog as personal as possible tho.

In any event, this is all fantastic feedback. thank you all so much!

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 02, 2014 16:37 |  #10

AlanMura wrote in post #16804575 (external link)
I teach a pretty popular workshop 2/month here in LA. Many of the photographers follow my work, so it would be a secondary way of engaging new interest in my workshops. I do want to keep the blog as personal as possible tho.

It definitely could be a feeder to your workshops. Raise an awareness and interest in what you teach. Teach some in the blog, but if you really want to learn, sign up for my class.

Just a thought on a possible direction. Good luck.

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2014 16:58 |  #11

ryanshoots wrote in post #16804946 (external link)
It definitely could be a feeder to your workshops. Raise an awareness and interest in what you teach. Teach some in the blog, but if you really want to learn, sign up for my class.

Just a thought on a possible direction. Good luck.

Exactly. Thanks man!

Philip ­ Atkinson
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 06, 2014 00:44 |  #12

You firstly need to work out your reasons for the blog. Is it to promote your main business or your workshops?

Personally I'd steer the posts to your main clients, or clients you want.

So, for instance, if you get work from agencies why not make a post about the process from initial brief through all aspects of the shoot until final product. Many people won't know what your process is and what to expect so put it in black and white.

Make the posts long (or at least some of them) - if they are engaging people will read them.

Always keep in mind who your customer is and tailor your posts accordingly.

http://ignite-images.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

1,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
Commercial Photographer | help on blog ideas
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.