Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 14:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography keeper rate

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 31, 2014 12:00 |  #16

peeaanuut wrote in post #16799050 (external link)
It really depends on the subject and my experience. When I am at the track I get about 85% keepers. But when I head down tothe beach for surfing I get about 25% keepers as it is not my normal subject. At the wild animal park I am at about 70% keepers but when setting up the lights and trying portraits I am at bout 5% if that. lol.

Good point there, about knowing what you are shooting.

I believe Robert Capa's quote "if your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough" was not talking about physical proximity to the subject, but about knowing the subject.

As an example, I used to shoot a lot of Motorsport, my parents were involved in racing, and i grew up around it. With the photography,it got to the point I could see spins, crashes and accidents happening before anyone else, I could see it in the attitude of the cars, something wasn't quite right.

I occassionally shoot football too, and it's not a sport I'm interested in, so my pics, while being acceptable, are never going to be prize winners, I just don't have the knowledge to see what's going to happen next.

Guys i see regularly who happen to shoot for agencies like Getty and AP, and who love their footy are incredible, they can see what's happening before it happens, but don't have that sixth sense at the racetrack.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sponsored links
peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 31, 2014 12:21 |  #17

I would take it even a step further that some types of shooting lend themselves to higher toss rates especially in the digital age. Using motorsports for an example. Shooting into a turn you see a spin about to happen, you snap off as many as you can get. Sometimes they work out great for a sequence shot and sometimes you are able to snag that one shot where the tire blows or the impact into the dirt runoff, etc.

Keep rates are exactly the reason I do not shoot weddings. People see my wildlife or motorsports photos and assume I can do weddings. I try to explain to them that its a completely different beast. Sort of like being a pitcher vs a right fielder in baseball. 2 different skill-sets in the same sport.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Supersteve911
613 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 03, 2014 00:07 |  #18

The last shoot I did of 1800 shots I had about 750 I kept.

5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2014 01:01 |  #19

Adharr wrote in post #16795244 (external link)
I was just curious. What is the keeper rate most of you get when you photograph anything? Like 10 shots out of 100? 1 out of 50? 45 out of 60?

I couldn't find this question posted anywhere before. It made me wonder what people here get, and what some of the pros get? Or what professionals used to get in the film days?

Thanks for your responses.

If by "keeper" you mean "what I don't delete or throw in the trash", then my keeper rate is damn near 100%.

If by "keeper" you mean "great image that actually serves some purpose rather than being stored in a box or a hard drive", then my keeper rate is damn near 0%.

The way I see it, storage is cheaper and easier than it's ever been, so I have no excuses for throwing images away. I wouldn't burn my negatives, so I'm not gonna delete my digital files.

But on the other hand, I've heard that it's good to only show one's best stuff. And if that's true, then I wager that it's true regardless of how good one's stuff is. You might be so good that EVERY image that you take is great, but realistically speaking you're only ever gonna DO anything with a small percentage of them. So you're still gonna cut it down to a small percentage of your output. That's still sort of a small "keeper rate".

Anyway, I don't really keep track of my keeper rate, because I don't care about such things. I'm not sure why it matters or why that's something I should pay attention to.

Adharr
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2014 02:40 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Echo63 wrote in post #16799163 (external link)
Good point there, about knowing what you are shooting.

I believe Robert Capa's quote "if your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough" was not talking about physical proximity to the subject, but about knowing the subject.

As an example, I used to shoot a lot of Motorsport, my parents were involved in racing, and i grew up around it. With the photography,it got to the point I could see spins, crashes and accidents happening before anyone else, I could see it in the attitude of the cars, something wasn't quite right.

I occassionally shoot football too, and it's not a sport I'm interested in, so my pics, while being acceptable, are never going to be prize winners, I just don't have the knowledge to see what's going to happen next.

Guys i see regularly who happen to shoot for agencies like Getty and AP, and who love their footy are incredible, they can see what's happening before it happens, but don't have that sixth sense at the racetrack.

Yes, I have experiment this as well.

My Homepage (external link)

Adharr
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2014 02:42 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Clean Gene wrote in post #16806009 (external link)
If by "keeper" you mean "what I don't delete or throw in the trash", then my keeper rate is damn near 100%.

If by "keeper" you mean "great image that actually serves some purpose rather than being stored in a box or a hard drive", then my keeper rate is damn near 0%.

The way I see it, storage is cheaper and easier than it's ever been, so I have no excuses for throwing images away. I wouldn't burn my negatives, so I'm not gonna delete my digital files.

But on the other hand, I've heard that it's good to only show one's best stuff. And if that's true, then I wager that it's true regardless of how good one's stuff is. You might be so good that EVERY image that you take is great, but realistically speaking you're only ever gonna DO anything with a small percentage of them. So you're still gonna cut it down to a small percentage of your output. That's still sort of a small "keeper rate".

Anyway, I don't really keep track of my keeper rate, because I don't care about such things. I'm not sure why it matters or why that's something I should pay attention to.

I had just culled from a shoot and sent off only 25 to the client. And since I was new here, I thought I'd ask the question, since I never have asked anyone that before.

My Homepage (external link)

panicatnabisco
971 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 03, 2014 15:20 |  #22

For weddings:
75% will be usable but mostly boring, 5% will be unusable exposure/composition tests, 5% would be missed focus (LOL 50L) and 15% will be the best ones delivered to the client

For Motorsports (or sports):
90% will be spray and pray, 5% calculated usable shots and 5% will be delivered to the client

Canon 1DXmkIII |1DX | 6Dii | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 35/1.4ii | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,658 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 12, 2014 17:22 as a reply to  @ panicatnabisco's post |  #23

I shoot air shows, where I have to pan flying aircraft. If it's a propeller plane I'll shoot at slow shutter speeds to capture prop blur. Under these conditions my keeper rate may be only 10-15%. But 5% or less are those photos that are exceptionally good.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 14, 2014 20:01 |  #24

Sports action: 10%, of those, about 10% are really good.

Travel: 60%+ unless it is birds-in-flight...

Weddings: 10%

X-wife pictures: 0%

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

panicatnabisco
971 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2014 19:05 |  #25

S.Horton wrote in post #16833956 (external link)
X-wife pictures: 0%

100% for x-girlfriends ;)

Canon 1DXmkIII |1DX | 6Dii | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 35/1.4ii | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

sponsored links

3,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography keeper rate
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.