Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony RX100II with Nikon SB28 or Canon 580EXII, any one tried it?

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 02, 2014 14:00 |  #1

Has anyone actually used a Nikon SB28 (or similar Nikon flash) or Canon 580EXII flash on an RX100II, without damaging the camera?

I realise the flashes wont talk to the camera but I'm only after manual flash control anyway, old skool stuff.

The SB28 and 580EXII have a locking pin which is lowered as the flash is tightened and I wonder if this will cause a short on the cameras electrical contacts?

The 580EXII also has a metal foot so I also wonder if this has potential to cause shorts?

Thanks in advance

JJ

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,785 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 02, 2014 19:42 |  #2

Clicked into this thread only because I have those two flashes, but not that camera. Out of curiosity I googled the camera and found this thread.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/357175​1 (external link)

Sounds like a bad idea. That hotshoe is way different than anything from Nikon or Canon.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jjphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 03, 2014 01:19 |  #3

hes gone wrote in post #16805392 (external link)
=he's gone;16805392]Clicked into this thread only because I have those two flashes, but not that camera. Out of curiosity I googled the camera and found this thread.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/357175​1 (external link)

Sounds like a bad idea. That hotshoe is way different than anything from Nikon or Canon.

Thanks. I searched dpreview before posting my question, but obviously not very well.

I'm not sure that the RX100II hot shoe is dramatically different and there's also nothing conclusive in the thread you linked to but I'm not going to jump to any conclusions either. I'll certainly proceed cautiously.

Again, thanks
JJ

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony RX100II with Nikon SB28 or Canon 580EXII, any one tried it?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.