Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jul 2005 (Sunday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still unsure what Bokeh means?

this thread is locked
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 03, 2014 03:59 |  #46

DreDaze wrote in post #16805569 (external link)
dead for a reason? most of the threads he's commenting on never even had a reply so nobody's really looking at them again, they're looking at them for the first time...

Replies and views are two different things. No idea what it was before, but this thread had 1,700 views, so they are not being looked at for the first time.

Adharr wrote in post #16806173 (external link)
If all of you would have always been doing what I'm doing now, then there wouldn't be 12 years of backed up unanswered questions.

Jeez, check your ego at the door. All you are doing is pissing people off. Do you really think someone is going to say "hey...that thread I posted 8 years ago, I will head over to PotN and see if it got bumped up."

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2014 05:20 |  #47

And if you want to look at any current topic, it's very easy to just click to page 2 or 3 and you can see what has been talked about over the last 24 to 48 hours.

No, it isn't. The display doesn't tell you the date the first post in the thread was made. You clearly lack attention to detail - as with searching for threads with no answers and not checking the date. Why then should I believe any answer you give to a photographic question?

Well, your answer about bokeh was wrong.

All it takes is a periodic commitment of 20 minutes every month from people on here to look for questions that only have 1 or 0 replies, and then there would never be unanswered questions.

You fail to understand that the kind of answer you give depends on the audience. The answer to "what is bokeh?" is a case in point. If it's a beginner asking, I'd just talk about the use of shallow depth of field and point out if you're going to use it it might as well look good. If it's someone who clearly uses the effect, they must be asking for a discussion on how to describe and classify it. So there is no one list of answers like a TV quiz.

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 03, 2014 05:34 |  #48

Aw bless, this must be Adharr's first forum! :p

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 03, 2014 06:03 |  #49

I have done my share of replying to a zombie thread on a few occasions: by searching a topic such as 24L vs 24L II when I was looking into the differences without starting a new thread, by not noticing the date of the last responders.
Perhaps a valid suggestion would be to have threads that has a final reply older than a year ago locked automatically?
Or threads older than 5 years locked automatically; or thread where the OP has not posted in over a year lock automatically?
That way the explanations and descriptions given are still accessible to someone searching, and it keeps the threads fresh.
Should the OP or a reader have additional questions, they can always start a new thread. Win - Win situation.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

KeenanRIVALS
453 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 03, 2014 06:30 |  #50

At the end of the day these type of threads could be useful to someone else who just recently joined, sure dude may be gone but their may be a new member who has a question about bokeh and this would be the perfect search and find thread, wouldn't a new thread about the same thing 900 times be more annoying than a thread that already has the answers in it?

I hate when people think they own the forum, or like there or some super rules that go without saying but yet they are suppose to be followed.

KeenanRIVALS.com (external link) | Daily Street Photography Vlog's (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Gallery: 234 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 03, 2014 07:14 |  #51

And now this joker is sending PMs, too? Give it a ****ing rest, man.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2014 07:17 |  #52

KeenanRIVALS wrote in post #16806372 (external link)
...wouldn't a new thread about the same thing 900 times be more annoying than a thread that already has the answers in it?

Considering this thread had no answers in it at all, no.

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2014 08:06 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

melcat wrote in post #16806433 (external link)
Considering this thread had no answers in it at all, no.

Like I said. I am happy to provide answers to questions that went unanswered. And I think we would all be better off if everyone spent some time every so often going back through the threads and looking for unanswered questions.

My Homepage (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,585 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 03, 2014 08:25 as a reply to  @ Adharr's post |  #54

don't sweat it Adharr. You've done exactly the right thing by listening to the mods, nothing else to worry about.

This morning I noticed you bumped a bunch of threads (all less than a week old) and it reminded me of a guy on another forum who was notorious for doing things differently. He let other people's opinions of him stress him out too much and eventually left the forum. It was too bad too because he had a lot to contribute.

it takes all kinds.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2014 08:37 |  #55

Adharr wrote in post #16806517 (external link)
I am happy to provide answers to questions that went unanswered.

Apparently you didn't find the following thread started more than a year after this one:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=233259

So, actually, the question was asked and answered. I didn't read it, but on the face of it a thread with a well-posed question and numerous answers including posted image examples might... just might be a better one to add to instead of this one.

And there's no denying you're happy - but by your own account half the people reading are not.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 03, 2014 08:44 |  #56

if you want to look at any current topic, it's very easy to just click to page 2 or 3 and you can see what has been talked about over the last 24 to 48 hours. It's like everyone thinks that only the first page of this forum exists in real time.

But that is wrong, very wrong. You can't click back to page 3 and see that far back, this forum moves very quickly. I just checked and the thread at the bottom of page three is showing as 1 hour old (in reality that means "under two hours"). You can only go back 10 pages (300 threads) and the bottom of page 10 is still only 8 hours old. Anything older than that and it is gone from the front page and will only be seen in the individual forums. Much of the help comes, I suspect, from the front page, so after 9 hours the chances of getting an answer diminish significantly. So answering lots of dead threads is pushing people asking questions NOW off the front page much quicker and meaning that whilst some guy who left the forum 4 years ago now has an answer (but will never see it) somebody else, needing an answer now may have missed the opportunity.

If all of you would have always been doing what I'm doing now, then there wouldn't be 12 years of backed up unanswered questions.

But these questions aren't unanswered. When somebody doesn't get a reply they tend to post again and THAT thread may have generated several replies. They got their answer then. Even if (in this case) the OP didn't repost asking about the meaning of bokeh, it is a common question that gets asked all the time and they would soon see another thread asking the same thing.

All it takes is a periodic commitment of 20 minutes every month from people on here to look for questions that only have 1 or 0 replies, and then there would never be unanswered questions.

There are quite a number of us who dedicate quite a lot of time to helping others out, by answering their questions. If we diverted our attention to dead threads where nobody is actually looking for answers any more then, for each one we answer, we have used time that could have answered a current question. Personally, I agree that unanswered questions are not ideal, but I don't see the point in answering old, forgotten ones when it means that some current ones will now go unanswered.

KeenanRIVALS wrote in post #16806372 (external link)
At the end of the day these type of threads could be useful to someone else who just recently joined, sure dude may be gone but their may be a new member who has a question about bokeh and this would be the perfect search and find thread, wouldn't a new thread about the same thing 900 times be more annoying than a thread that already has the answers in it?

Yes, of course it is better to have someone find the answer by searching for it, but your own logic fails here. We do get many subjects being posted over and over (meaning of bokeh being one of them). It was ALREADY easily searchable and doesn't require ANOTHER thread to add to that search and find. This thread has, in effect, simply added to the new threads by being bumped up to the top again.

And that doesn't allow for the fact that this wouldn't be the "perfect search and find thread" as you put it, because the guy who resurrected it gave the WRONG ANSWER.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,135 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2014 09:14 |  #57

I think some users took offense to my saying in my earlier post "Don't do that" I admit I came off as being bossy. What I should have said is this "Please don't do that, or the majority of member here will think you are being a pain in the @*#*#." I meant only to be helpful, please accept my apology. Otherwise I stand by the previous sentiment.

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 03, 2014 09:18 |  #58

The more people discuss this the more the thread gets bumped....

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2014 09:24 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16806640 (external link)

Yeah, seriously. Where is Rick Grimes when we really need him?

My Homepage (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,874 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 03, 2014 10:31 |  #60

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16806640 (external link)

Yes, but it will get worse off we ignore it. Not satified with upsetting people on the lens forum, by his own admission Adharr is now starting to do the same thing on other forums here. Maybe he'll respond to someone's 8 year old question about whether they should consider upgrading their 10D body. That would be really useful.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links

5,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still unsure what Bokeh means?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.