Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice needed, think I've bought a duff lens?

Brizzoluk
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 03, 2014 14:59 |  #1

Hello everyone im new to the forum as I have been looking for a good place for advice and this place seems to be full of knowledgeable people :)

I own a Canon 550d and have recently bought a new lens (Sigma 17-70mm DC HSM)
I say recently but it was three months ago, i just havnt had the time to properly test it out.
I have used it taking pics of the kids in the park and also took some at a family wedding and i was pretty happy with the results.
Today i have been taking some of the kids in the house (close up face shots) and they didnt seem very sharp so i set up a little test for the lens and it seems the autofocus is a bit off.

I put the camera on a tripod and took some photos of some text on a box and then compared them on my pc, first i used normal autofocus, then live view auto focus, then manual focus.
The manual and live view autofocus came out well but the normal autofocus is quite a way off (viewing at 100%)

I also replicated the test with my 18-55mm kit lens and they came out fine so its definitely the Sigma at fault.
I bought the lens through amazon but being that it was so long since the purchase would they do anything about it?
Or my other option is going through Sigma, would they repair it as its under warranty?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this.

sponsored links
Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 03, 2014 15:38 |  #2

I have a question for you, is it the Contemporary (C) or the old version because if you have the (C) designated lens, you can always invest in the Sigma Dock and do microadjust on the lens from there. If not send it into Sigma they will repair it under warranty.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 03, 2014 16:07 |  #3

Sounds like it's not really a problem with the lens, or a problem with your camera, but that they need to be calibrated to one another. Since your 550D doesn't have MFA, the best would be to send the lens and camera to Sigma, and they can calibrate the lens to your body. Simple fix.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 03, 2014 16:47 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Brizzoluk wrote in post #16807416 (external link)
Hello everyone im new to the forum as I have been looking for a good place for advice and this place seems to be full of knowledgeable people :)

I own a Canon 550d and have recently bought a new lens (Sigma 17-70mm DC HSM)
I say recently but it was three months ago, i just havnt had the time to properly test it out.
I have used it taking pics of the kids in the park and also took some at a family wedding and i was pretty happy with the results.
Today i have been taking some of the kids in the house (close up face shots) and they didnt seem very sharp so i set up a little test for the lens and it seems the autofocus is a bit off.

I put the camera on a tripod and took some photos of some text on a box and then compared them on my pc, first i used normal autofocus, then live view auto focus, then manual focus.
The manual and live view autofocus came out well but the normal autofocus is quite a way off (viewing at 100%)

I also replicated the test with my 18-55mm kit lens and they came out fine so its definitely the Sigma at fault.
I bought the lens through amazon but being that it was so long since the purchase would they do anything about it?
Or my other option is going through Sigma, would they repair it as its under warranty?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Kirk is correct. The lens and the camera body are perfectly fine. Sometimes the autofocus calculation algorithm is just off by a hair and needs adjustment so the he pair of lens and camera is compensated for in the software. It's just a slight adjustment we all have to so with some of our lenses from time to time. Now, the next question is how important is it to you to fix it? You will have to spend a small amount of money sending the equipment somewhere.

My Homepage (external link)

Brizzoluk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 05, 2014 08:12 |  #5

Hey thanks for all the replies.
Its not the contemporary version so does that mean i cant use the sigma dock?
If it needs to be calibrated to my camera does that mean if i was to send it back to the retailer for an exchange, i would still have the same problem with a new one?
The other option, sending the lens and camera to sigma, how much would they charge me to calibrate it?

It is very important to get this fixed as i have paid in excess of £300 for this lens and its currently not even as sharp as my kit lens!

Thanks again for the advice.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 05, 2014 09:19 |  #6

I don't believe you can use the dock with it.
Exchanging it will result in either a lens that focuses fine with your body, or one that will also need calibrating.
I believe Sigma will calibrate your camera and lens for free if it's still under warranty.

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Brizzoluk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 05, 2014 09:50 |  #7

KirkS518 wrote in post #16811481 (external link)
I don't believe you can use the dock with it.
Exchanging it will result in either a lens that focuses fine with your body, or one that will also need calibrating.
I believe Sigma will calibrate your camera and lens for free if it's still under warranty.

Thanks kirk i have just emailed Sigma so ill wait to hear what they say.

Ilovetheleafs
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 05, 2014 17:54 |  #8

Brizzoluk wrote in post #16811544 (external link)
Thanks kirk i have just emailed Sigma so ill wait to hear what they say.

if its not under the contemporary designation the dock won't work. Also depending on when you got the lens and if it was second hand or not will depend on if its covered or not.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 05, 2014 20:30 as a reply to  @ Ilovetheleafs's post |  #9

As others noted probably just an issue of calibration. But FYI out of the various combinations of 3 cameras x 10-20 lenses I've use roughly ~30% of the combos need some kind of adjustment. Mfa is essential when buying non canon lenses (unless you can use the sigma dock) or used lenses. Canon will only adjust for free those canon lenses or bodies under warrantee.

Also unfortunately with some lenses the amount of adjustment needed varies with lighting conditions. In those cases you're screwed unless you have mfa.

Anyway... All just FYI. Things to keep in mind when you make your next camera purchase.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Brizzoluk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 07, 2014 12:45 |  #10

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)
I have heard back from Sigma and they have said to send the lens and camera to them and they will calibrate it under the warranty so its all good.
Just a small matter of mailing my camera and lens to them which fills me with a slight dread i have to say, does anyone have a recommendation of a good courier/postal service they have used for packages such as this?

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2014 14:58 |  #11

Sorry, can't help you with that, as I'm in the US. If you're sending it overseas, I'd suggest either FedEx or DHL. If it's staying in the UK, I'd would just use Royal Mail, as long as their tracking and insurance is good enough that you feel confident.

KeenanRIVALS
453 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 07, 2014 21:54 |  #12

Amazon will replace the lens, just contact their customer service via chat or phone.

KeenanRIVALS.com (external link) | Daily Street Photography Vlog's (external link)

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,420 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 08, 2014 19:18 as a reply to  @ KeenanRIVALS's post |  #13

I always thought that Duff just made beer not lenses.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Ilovetheleafs
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 08, 2014 23:11 |  #14

Xyclopx wrote in post #16812486 (external link)
As others noted probably just an issue of calibration. But FYI out of the various combinations of 3 cameras x 10-20 lenses I've use roughly ~30% of the combos need some kind of adjustment. Mfa is essential when buying non canon lenses (unless you can use the sigma dock) or used lenses. Canon will only adjust for free those canon lenses or bodies under warrantee.

Also unfortunately with some lenses the amount of adjustment needed varies with lighting conditions. In those cases you're screwed unless you have mfa.

Anyway... All just FYI. Things to keep in mind when you make your next camera purchase.

umm my experience says you don't need MFA.. both my Sigma lenses focus great.

Brizzoluk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 13, 2014 15:10 |  #15

Hi sorry to drag an old thread up but thought i would just update on my situation.
It took me a long time to get around to doing it due to not wanting to be without my camera for certain events but i eventually got around to sending my camera and lens off to Sigma.
The focus was off a little so Sigma have set it all up and i got it back today and am happy to report it is now focusing absolutely bang on!
Very happy with the result and the excellent service from Sigma, it was done under warranty and i sent it off last thursday and got it back today (very quick turnaround)
Thumbs up for Sigma :)

sponsored links

2,159 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice needed, think I've bought a duff lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.