Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 18:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Speedlite being aimed 45degrees right...confused

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2014 13:53 |  #16

Well 250 feet is a long way I think but if you read Neal van Niekerk's work it is amazing at what distances or objects he will bounce off. I look for anything when I walk into a place these days. At least she understands bouncing and maybe had the ISO cranked and was just getting a kiss from the flash. At least she did not use tupperware to light the whole building ;)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2014 14:01 |  #17

digital paradise wrote in post #16807264 (external link)
Well 250 feet is a long way I think but if you read Neal van Niekerk's work it is amazing at what distances or objects he will bounce off. I look for anything when I walk into a place these days. At least she understands bouncing and maybe had the ISO cranked and was just getting a kiss from the flash. At least she did not use tupperware to light the whole building ;)

Thats what I was going to say that as well. Using really high ISO you can squeeze more out of a flash than you might think if you are just looking for some fill. But yeah 250 with a sideways bounce seems overly optimistic. Neil also says never buy a used flash from him because he fries them on a pretty regular basis.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2014 14:04 |  #18

Yeah. It would look pretty melted anyway.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2014 14:12 |  #19

I was shooting a choir my wife was singing in one christmas. Our legislative building. Huge Tyndall stone structure and the ceiling was out of reach. I picked a big column/wall to bounce off. I guess it was about 100 feet from me, to the column and back to the choir. I checked to see by taking a shot while my head was turned to the choir. A fair bit of light was reaching them.

Image Editing OK

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2014 14:16 |  #20

digital paradise wrote in post #16807309 (external link)
I was shooting a choir my wife was singing in one christmas. Our legislative building. Huge Tyndall stone structure and the ceiling was out of reach. I picked a big column/wall to bounce off. I guess it was about 100 feet from me, to the column and back to the choir. I checked to see by taking a shot while my head was turned to the choir. A fair bit of light was reaching them.

I used to shoot in the legislative chambers in our statehouse quite a bit. This is back in the film days with vivitar 285's and I could bounce off of the ceiling that were 30+ feet up so I know what you mean. The improved zoom features and canon's more efficient circuitry allows some crazy things.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2014 14:20 |  #21

Sometimes I walk in a place and people I know start to look up at the ceiling, etc with me trying to figure out what I'm seeing. It can be pretty funny.

Image Editing OK

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 03, 2014 16:12 |  #22

There's no point in making sense of the things stupid people do.

I've regularly seen people pointing speedlights up at the sky when shooting outdoors at night (night drag races).

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 03, 2014 16:23 |  #23

How did her shots look?

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 03, 2014 16:59 |  #24

Patman99 wrote in post #16807648 (external link)
How did her shots look?

I don't know yet. She is a GREAT shooter and has fantastic work, I just had to find out myself if there was merit to this technique, and it seems as if some of you sorta say it is possible

I had a pic of the venue on my phone. Here is where she was (open back doors in the circle) and the arrows show the bounce and the distance to stage. And I take it back, maybe 160 feet away.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3758/13611093663_e63db8a514_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mJLp​WF  (external link)

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 03, 2014 17:13 |  #25

zooming the speedlite to 200mm does make a long bounce more likely too work.
High ISO wide open aperture on a fast lens, could work.

As mentioned, at least she had an idea about what she was doing. Without seeing the location and situation its all a guess. 250 feet, even a zoomed flash bounced is going to be lighting up a lot of foreground brighter than the subjects. I can't imagine that fill bounce from that distance would be very effective. Again, more influence on foreground elements that one would probably prefer were not lit.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,794 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 03, 2014 18:24 |  #26

ian_socool wrote in post #16807730 (external link)
I had a pic of the venue on my phone. Here is where she was (open back doors in the circle) and the arrows show the bounce and the distance to stage. And I take it back, maybe 160 feet away.[/URL]

I'd say that looks like less than 160, that is if the front of the stage is 10 -15 feet from the front row. A room like that can easily be lit up by one bare flash. Fill is certainly achievable, the ceiling is not that high, maybe 25 feet.

Edit: when I say "a room like that could be lit up" I mean at least enough to fill a longish lens field of view.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2014 18:27 |  #27

That is what I'm thinking. I'd kill for that type of worse case scenario ceiling every time. She knew what she was doing.

Image Editing OK

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 03, 2014 18:36 |  #28

I've bounced an on camera speedlite off the walls of a church with a main isle longer than the distance to the back doors in this venue.

Well within reality given a highish ISO and open aperture. And, as mentioned, given the size of the room actually kind of low ceiling.

If the room lighting was as shown, it wasn't a difficult situation. Larger reception venues and large churches are at least as challenging.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

F-Stran
403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 03, 2014 18:44 |  #29

People tend to discount the ability of a flash in spaces with high ceilings. Unless you really test it for yourself don't disregard a flash at full power.
I had a situation where I had to bounce a flash (Yn-560II) at full power into a ceiling, which was approx. 60ft, at an event where there was very little light. All I needed was 1/2 stop of light and I was at iso 800 1/60 f /2.8.

5DMK IV | 60D | 40D | Tamron 70-200 G2 | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 55-250
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 03, 2014 18:45 |  #30

So it is possible she was bouncing off that "ledge" on the right side of the room? That room in reality was at least 2 1/2 bus lengths (which is about 100feet) then the extra 15 feet, so maybe 250 more than I actually remembered. This is why I asked you guys.

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,111 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Speedlite being aimed 45degrees right...confused
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.