Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 May 2013 (Tuesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cemetery photography....

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2014 00:59 |  #31

OhLook wrote in post #15906731 (external link)
The sentient beings in a cemetery are the visitors, the staff, and the wildlife. As for the permanent occupants, only their remains are there. If you believe otherwise, you might try thinking of cemetery photography as a way of honoring the dead, extending their memorials, rather than anything disturbing.

Opportunities exist there. Many cemeteries contain interesting artwork in the form of monuments. Old cemeteries give you material for connecting with history. A long thread for such photos, "Bring Out Yer Dead," is in the Urban & Travel forum.

That's how I like to think of it. I don't think of it as disrespecting the dead (usually). Most cemetary photographs I've seen seem to be trying to at least be respectful (even if they're super-cliched). I usually see it as a tribute to the dead before I see it as exploitation of the dead.

Having said that, what I think doesn't matter. Follow your own moral compass. If it seems wrong, then do something else. Lord knows there's plenty of other stuff to shoot. Another cliche is photographing homelessness and poverty. The people who do it defend it on the basis of it shedding light on important issues, while the people who criticize it see it as exploitative. I'm not gonna take a side in that debate, both sides have valid points. But it ultimately comes down to "don't do it if you aren't okay with it", and that's something that only the photographer can decide.

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,738 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 27, 2014 01:12 |  #32

some of my best shots are cemetery ones (esp. IR)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter purchased for:
TF posting: here :-)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 27, 2014 08:18 |  #33

TooManyShots wrote in post #15906550 (external link)
What is your thoughts? I have been on the fence with this one since there is the Greenwood cemetery in Brooklyn. I am concerning about the artistic nature of it. Well, I am very receptive to the spirit world. :) Emotionally and psychologically, I am not sure I should be just randomly shooting there.

nothing wrong with shooting (respectfully) in a cemetery

juscuz
826 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 27, 2014 14:25 |  #34

As said before, follow your own moral compass, but I sure don't see anything wrong with it. There's a flickr group dedicated to Glenwood Cemetery here in Houston...

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/729449@N22/ (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2014 21:23 as a reply to  @ juscuz's post |  #35

We had some walk under heavy snow in a small Swiss Alps town St. Niklaus, I noticed some beautiful statues and I took some photos. Suddenly I realized we're in local cemetery. In respect, I deleted all the photos as I didn't feel I had the permission to take photos there.

In other hand when we visited La Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires (Evita Tomb), I just took some photos as all other tourists.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 28, 2014 06:58 |  #36

I have a brother-in-law buried in Arlington. That place is emotionally charged. I took a few photographs for my sister-in-law plus we did a pencil etching of his gravestone. I've only been there that one time when we met our sister-in-law who came out from Montana over the Memorial Day weekend. The whole weekend was moving.

Each of us has views about life and death, at least, most of us do. I think respect is the central theme here. I think X_tan's post was telling.... sometimes it feels ok to take photographs and sometimes, it just feels wrong. I pay attention to those inner impressions. I might just be deluding myself, but I suspect we are all prone to self delusion in one way or the other. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2014 17:18 |  #37

Cemeteries are, to me, "rich" with photo subjects that can be interesting in various ways, historical, for sure, evocative for sure in terms of thinking of human life and death and all that involves...

And then, that got me thinking about photos that go beyond the old historical subjects to ones that "cut to the chase" of the human element, ones that can, well, cut to the heart!

Here, for example, is some "old" graves...maybe the people have family here, or maybe they are forgotten...but what strikes us is the sense of history, of time having passed, not just of "people buried":

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/95071177/original.jpg

And then, in the same cemetery, there is a gravestone that evokes history. This part of town is named "Fisher's Landing" and has become a bustling part of "suburbia", but this grave/headstone reminds us that, well, names have historical meaning:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/95071187/original.jpg

Well, those are to me examples of the "rewards" of cemetery photography, when we stumble across some history!

But, moving along, what happens when we come across something that is more current as far as not just the timeline, but also as to the human emotion involved? That can be challenging, because, well, such feeling and involvement, that's "personal", one doesn't want to intrude...but sometimes, well, we might find ourselves "in there"!

For example, here is a grave of a couple who "passed" a few decades ago. One might glance at it in passing, note the flag, possibly ponder the meaning of the flag:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/147592743/original.jpg

But...the occasion of me taking this photo was that I was visiting it with an old friend (Jim Rosenback), his various family members are buried here, and in fact, this is the grave of his parents, he placed the flag there to honor his father's service:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/147592742/original.jpg

It can be pretty poignant sharing such moments! What is even more moving for me is the fact that my friend Jim, a disabled VietNam war vet, underwent some surgery a few months after this occasion, failed to recover, and passed on, and was himself buried here, staying close to his family! When I visited the cemetery, though, things weren't "set up" for a photo, but still...

I hesitate to inject more "personal" photos in here, but they are relevant to my discussion here...

So, here is the grave/headstone of a young man who, at the age of 20, died about 20 years ago:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/119168289/original.jpg

Again, one could view the grave in passing, pondering the youth of the lad and the saying "Shine On you Crazy Diamond", noting that he must have been a Pink Floyd fan!

And then you might move on, except, well, for me there is no "moving on". He was my son, his loss is "forever", and I was here with my grandson, who harbored fond memories of his uncle, and shared the feeling of loss at his passing:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/119168270/original.jpg

And just to drive the "human element" closer, I was at his grave last year, marking what would have been his 40th birthday, 20 years after his death, still the father:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Pardon my ramblings, like I said, cemeteries can be great "photo ops", but also places of deep feeling. That doesn't need to scare us away, but rather to show consideration, sensitivity, and being prepared to grab a "moment" if, well, the moment presents itself in a way that we can do so without being insensitive/intrusive!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2014 19:04 as a reply to  @ post 15916341 |  #38

In Brooklyn check out Gravesend Cemetery. I've shot there. Really weird stuff goes on there. Spooky.
And Washington cemetery is dope; you'll find oodles of rabbinic wisdom written on tomb stones of the learned rabbis. A small section on Bay Parkway has the 19th.c. of sunken tombs, most others are newer.
The bums from FDR used to hang out there and get wasted, but no more.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2014 09:45 as a reply to  @ Gomar's post |  #39

tonylong ....... very touching.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 02, 2014 17:04 |  #40

Nothing wrong with shooting in a cemetery. Same rules apply as anywhere else.....don't be a jerk.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5222/5612341386_f94d8213e4_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/9xWH​yE  (external link)
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5017/5562773040_7bc2c9e6bf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/9tyE​C1  (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

coogee
172 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 03, 2014 01:03 |  #41

Thanks for sharing that Tony and really well expressed.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2014 13:48 |  #42

Tony, thanks for the post.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 03, 2014 19:00 |  #43

Sibil wrote in post #16796737 (external link)
tonylong ....... very touching.

coogee wrote in post #16806016 (external link)
Thanks for sharing that Tony and really well expressed.

nathancarter wrote in post #16807254 (external link)
Tony, thanks for the post.

Hey, I hope I was able to contribute to the conversation, not just provide a "moment"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Nieman
113 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 04, 2014 11:26 |  #44

Tonylong great post. Brought me to Tears..

Nathan Nieman
Canon 70d, Kaavie grip, 18-55 IS STM lens, 55-250 mm Lens, 50mm f1.4

h14nha
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 05, 2014 15:36 |  #45

tonylong wrote in post #16807981 (external link)
Hey, I hope I was able to contribute to the conversation, not just provide a "moment"!

I had a lump in my throat as I read your post. My little girl was playing at my feet ( 15 months old ) and it just struck a chord :( Sorry for your loss.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links

8,336 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cemetery photography....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.