Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 07:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon is facing a serious downturn

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2014 07:01 |  #31

outmywindow wrote in post #16803971 (external link)
In states where Amazon has some type of presence, the sales tax alone has already made buying some items (particularly items which are essentially priced the same as local retailers) not worth the hassle of waiting for shipping and whatnot because it essentially comes out to being the same price locally, and if you buy it local you can walk away with the item in hand vs waiting 2 days. Mind you I still use Amazon to buy a lot of things, but I have definitely become much more selective recently.

Amazon already has a presence here in VA, but I still buy from them, because they carry things that I cant get at my local stores. And usually but not always they are cheaper even with the added tax..And if the item is stocked locally, shipping is 1 day...;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 03, 2014 07:11 |  #32

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16803768 (external link)
That being said, I am going to make an effort to use both B&H and Adorama more often.

Thank you! :D - and if you ever need any advice or after-sales support, please don't hesitate to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com (external link)

gpswiz
671 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2014 12:44 |  #33

v35skyline wrote in post #16803929 (external link)
I'm sure Amazon will survive without you.

I am not sure if you know anything about running a retail business but if you're in retail, every customers counts. Yeah, there are a few "un-profitable" customers out there but this is a part of retailing business....

And, if you are capable of planning ahead or have a little patience, that little 2-day shipping perk does not mean much....

Amazon used to be very competitive but now with the taxes and price increases, I am pretty sure that most people don't mind buying local since the price difference is not that great.

Body - 5DIII, 50D
Souls - 85L f/1.2, 24-70L, 24-104L f/4.0, 70-200L IS f/2.8, 100mm Macro, MP-E 65mm, 18-200mm IS, nifty 50
Companions - 580EX ii, MT-24EX, BG-E2N, Gitzo G1564L monopod, , Gitzon GT3541, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4, This hobby is getting too expensive....

oahumike
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 03, 2014 14:05 as a reply to  @ gpswiz's post |  #34

I would use Adorama or BH if they had free shipping to HI. Adoramas eBay site doesn't even deliver here at all. I know it costs money but I'd be happy with a flat rate box because I haven't had any problems. I'll stick with amazon and Buydig for now.

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 03, 2014 14:34 |  #35

oahumike wrote in post #16807291 (external link)
Adoramas eBay site doesn't even deliver here at all. I know it costs money but I'd be happy with a flat rate box because I haven't had any problems. ...

Unfortunately, this is due to limitations set by eBay. I'm really sorry. But if you would like to email me: Helen@adorama.com (external link) next time you are looking to place an order from the main website, I can certainly ask one of the rreps if there may be anything he can do to help you with the shipping costs.

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 03, 2014 15:08 |  #36

isoMorphic wrote in post #16806205 (external link)
And for the unbelievers the financials do not lie. Amazon is bleeding and the only real money being made is from Kindle/Digital media and Prime fees. They obviously need to raise Prime to be able to cover the huge expense of their new TV box venture.

http://www.marketwatch​.com/investing/Stock/A​MZN (external link)

Umm... did you go to that link? If you did you may need to be reminded that the alligator eats the larger number > vs <.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,885 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 03, 2014 15:16 as a reply to  @ travisvwright's post |  #37

I've noticed lately that printed books and CDs are not the cheapest at Amazon like they used to be.

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur that still buys printed books and CDs. ;)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 03, 2014 16:02 |  #38

gpswiz wrote in post #16807094 (external link)
I am not sure if you know anything about running a retail business but if you're in retail, every customers counts. Yeah, there are a few "un-profitable" customers out there but this is a part of retailing business....

And, if you are capable of planning ahead or have a little patience, that little 2-day shipping perk does not mean much....

Amazon used to be very competitive but now with the taxes and price increases, I am pretty sure that most people don't mind buying local since the price difference is not that great.

Mhmm.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 03, 2014 21:00 |  #39

It could also be MAP pricing.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2014 21:01 |  #40

travisvwright wrote in post #16807439 (external link)
Umm... did you go to that link? If you did you may need to be reminded that the alligator eats the larger number > vs <.

Check the earnings and get back to me.

kthanxbye

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 03, 2014 21:48 |  #41

isoMorphic wrote in post #16808246 (external link)
Check the earnings and get back to me.

kthanxbye

Hmmm.. Doesn't really look that bad unless your one of the Wall Street types who tend not to live in reality. $24 billion in sales, a 20% increase over last year, $240 million in profit, doubling last years results. Seems that the only ones ticked off are the traders who set their expectations higher.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Windsun33
138 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 03, 2014 22:02 |  #42

gpswiz wrote in post #16807094 (external link)

Quite often for me the issue is not price or taxes, but availability. Amazon has a major warehouse only about 9 miles from my home, so I can get 90% of what I order in 2 days - and in some cases the same day. And they carry something like 3 million items.

I also buy fairly often from B&H and Adorama, mainly again for the availability. The chances of any local stores having many of the items I buy are usually pretty low. While I can find many major items - such as a camera - locally, often small gadgets and accessories are pretty limited.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 70D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Speedlite 600EX-RT

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2014 23:15 |  #43

Windsun33 wrote in post #16808359 (external link)
Quite often for me the issue is not price or taxes, but availability. Amazon has a major warehouse only about 9 miles from my home, so I can get 90% of what I order in 2 days - and in some cases the same day. And they carry something like 3 million items.

I also buy fairly often from B&H and Adorama, mainly again for the availability. The chances of any local stores having many of the items I buy are usually pretty low. While I can find many major items - such as a camera - locally, often small gadgets and accessories are pretty limited.

Abso-freaking-lutely.

I live not too far from some major east coast cities, but still sort of in the middle of nowhere. And I like it that way, usually. Within 10 minutes of my house I have almost no options to buy anything beyond groceries or tools or office supplies or car parts (or guns, plenty of guns). Within 45 minutes some better ones, but still limited.

Amazon is a no-brainer for me. And I don't care about 2 day shipping. I seldom need something tomorrow that I couldn't plan for a week ago. Hell, don't tell 'em, but I'd pay more for stuff from Amazon. Great selection and super-easy to do business with.

isoMorphic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2014 23:33 |  #44

gjl711 wrote in post #16808324 (external link)
Hmmm.. Doesn't really look that bad unless your one of the Wall Street types who tend not to live in reality. $24 billion in sales, a 20% increase over last year, $240 million in profit, doubling last years results. Seems that the only ones ticked off are the traders who set their expectations higher.

And I say this again the retail sector is not making them as much as it's costing them as of late. Before the Kindle Amazon was making the bulk of it's profits on actual hard goods. Today it loses money on hard goods to hopefully sell you on digital goods and Prime access. If a sector is losing money, they are pumping more and more in to get less and less out. Investors obviously have very little reason to be happy. And go figure even if they suspend your account they will still let you pay to access the digital video (not music) portion of the site.

If you want to bet on a wet dog winning the race buy some amazon stock. I would assume plenty of it's being unloaded right now. Just keep in mind Netflix earnings estimates are about 50% higher.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 04, 2014 00:42 |  #45

oahumike wrote in post #16807291 (external link)
I would use Adorama or BH if they had free shipping to HI. Adoramas eBay site doesn't even deliver here at all. I know it costs money but I'd be happy with a flat rate box because I haven't had any problems. I'll stick with amazon and Buydig for now.

Saw Helen's reply. I'll go one better, get your stuff shipped to my place, and once a month i'll fly over and deliver them. All you need to do is get me plane ticket. I know the bus system there pretty well, and will bring your items right to your door. ;)

sponsored links

5,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon is facing a serious downturn
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.