Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2014 (Friday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Bride chose my photo instead of the hired photographer, how much should I charge?

this thread is locked
chriswolf
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 04, 2014 03:10 |  #1

Hi everyone,

About a month ago I contacted a photographer because I wanted to get into the wedding business.
He accepted my request and he took me with him to a wedding, now:

The Bride called my up a week ago telling me that she didn't like the photographer images and she asked to have a look at my photographs instead.

I set up a gallery for her and she contacted my back very excited and happy about my work, making me so happy as well.

Photographers say that you have to know your client to work out a price, well I don't know how much their budget was but they hired a Limousine and a Cadillac for their wedding, this is what I've seen.

How much do you think should I charge them for about 30-40 photos, retouching and the time spend at the wedding?

I was thinking between $500 - $600 (Australia)

Thank you

(By the way I didn't get paid by the photographer and he didn't tell me the client tried to get in contact with me)

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 04, 2014 03:21 |  #2

So a working pro was nice enough to help you get started in the business and this is the thanks he gets. And people wonder why I refuse to take newbies on the job.

U keep doing this and you develop this reputation no one willing be willing to help you in the future.

chriswolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 04, 2014 03:30 |  #3

Well the Bride didn't like his photos and he tried to hide me that the bride was looking for me. She has to ask around to find my number, she also said to me that he doesn't answer at her emails.
If I did a good job I want to be paid, for the time spent, the gears and the retouching.
Sorry but I think it's fair.

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 04, 2014 06:25 |  #4

It isnt fair or ethical!

What you asked him was may you accompany him, to observe and learn the business of wedding photography. What I doubt you had permission do do is start you own business within his business by offering to sell the photos to his customer.

Him not giving her your contact details is not only the correct thing to do but well within his right. Its not a justification for you to undermine him, whether she's happy with his photos is something he has to sort out, not an opportunity for you to get you foot in the door.

You were there to learn, not to find a way to recover money you choose to spend on time, gear and processing in learning to be a photographer.

Successful wedding photographers are mostly good business people first, they may only adequate photographers.

More than likely in this case what the bride didnt like was his price, or she wants to cut the expense of paying him in full but taking your cheaper photos.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,843 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2014 06:40 |  #5

I'd contact the photographer and find out what's up. Without him(her) you would have been there.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 04, 2014 06:44 |  #6

Did the guy get paid regardless of whether they liked his photos or not? I'm sure he had a contract and was probably paid up front which going off the weddings I've been to in Aus is the norm.

As long as the original hired photographer is getting paid I don't see it as a problem.

Gear List

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,185 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 04, 2014 06:49 |  #7

It sounds as if you were not an official second shooter so I'm sensing that the bride didn't like his price and was hoping to lower the cost by contacting you and using you as a tool to re-negotiate the contract. Offer a price significantly higher than the primary shooter and see what she says.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

orionz06
231 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 04, 2014 06:49 as a reply to  @ Aus.Morgo's post |  #8

What kind of agreement did you have with the person who was hired for the job?

5D Mark IV~7D+BG-E7/400D~Canon 50mm f/1.8 II~EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro~EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II~EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II~EF 50mm f/1.4 USM~Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL~Yongnuo YN-E3-RT~Canon 600EX-RT

jason2713
115 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 04, 2014 07:06 |  #9

FerozeK wrote in post #16808947 (external link)
It isnt fair or ethical!

What you asked him was may you accompany him, to observe and learn the business of wedding photography. What I doubt you had permission do do is start you own business within his business by offering to sell the photos to his customer.

Him not giving her your contact details is not only the correct thing to do but well within his right. Its not a justification for you to undermine him, whether she's happy with his photos is something he has to sort out, not an opportunity for you to get you foot in the door.

You were there to learn, not to find a way to recover money you choose to spend on time, gear and processing in learning to be a photographer.

Successful wedding photographers are mostly good business people first, they may only adequate photographers.

More than likely in this case what the bride didnt like was his price, or she wants to cut the expense of paying him in full but taking your cheaper photos.

If you're not open about this to the hired photographer, I agree with this guy.

Get the hired photographers blessing, then this isn't undermining his business. He was nice enough to bring you to learn and gain experience. Maybe he'll want a cut, maybe he'll let you keep it all. But if you are on forums asking for advise, to me, this is sketchy. You're asking the wrong audience.

The the opinion of the photographer is the only opinion that should matter here. otherwise, this is a shiesty move.

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 04, 2014 07:08 |  #10

IMO, the ethical thing to do is to contact the photographer and work with him to come up with a suitable arrangement for providing your photos to the client.

Dan

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2014 09:50 |  #11

First: why did the main photographer have you there if you didn't even return photos to him ? What was the benefit for him in this arrangement ?

Second, I suspect you are well within your legal rights to negotiate a price and sell the images to the bride, but it really seems ethically dubious for the reasons others have pointed out: you were working for him, you were only there because of him, and you possibly piggy-backed off his setups, poses, location choices. At the very least I think you should be contacting the guy.

Third, I find it somewhat lacking in integrity to be attempting to infer how much money the wedding couple has when setting your price. If they were millionaires does that somehow make your images more valuable ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 04, 2014 10:05 |  #12

Why have you not talked with the wedding professional about this situation?

There's no need to supply an answer here, but I think you owe yourself an honest and thorough one. For there you might well ask yourself what sort of person and professional you want to become.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

meandtheblonde
138 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 04, 2014 11:10 |  #13

There is an old expression that says "truth hurts!". You asked and got an overwhelming answer..."truth hurts!".

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 04, 2014 11:16 |  #14

You need to offer the first photographer the chance to be involved with this. He was doing you a favor and now you are poaching on his business. Its hard to trust the bride's motives and its not clear here how this is all playing out in terms of her actions toward him.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 04, 2014 11:16 |  #15

chriswolf wrote in post #16808807 (external link)
Well the Bride didn't like his photos and he tried to hide me that the bride was looking for me. She has to ask around to find my number, she also said to me that he doesn't answer at her emails.
If I did a good job I want to be paid, for the time spent, the gears and the retouching.
Sorry but I think it's fair.

Were you paid by the photographer? Did you volunteer your time? Not fair like others have said.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links

9,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Bride chose my photo instead of the hired photographer, how much should I charge?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.