Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can anyone recommmend a phenomenal photoshop artist?

Brad999
423 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 04, 2014 10:46 as a reply to  @ post 16807741 |  #16

deleted

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 04, 2014 13:52 |  #17

jbsg02 wrote in post #16807741 (external link)
Every shoot is going to be different, not every shoot will require meticulous retouching or styling. I may find that I like my own edits more than an outsourced one, it's about delivering the best product I can, whether someone else was a part of it or not.

How about this...

Offer the externally-retouched ones as a premium service? They could be a separate section in your portfolio.

Joel

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 04, 2014 16:04 |  #18

Check out Peano at Radiant Pics (external link). He's a brilliant retoucher, the examples on his website don't do justice to his skills. He used to be very active here and other sites like ModelMayhem and DPReview Retouching but it appears he's recently deleted most of his online presence.

jbsg02 wrote in post #16806526 (external link)
I'm doing some wedding and bridal stuff and although I think I do a pretty good job in post, I'm curious about having a true photoshop expert retouch and edit a few images for my portfolio to really make them stand out

Gear List

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2014 17:08 |  #19

1 more vote for Peano from me.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 04, 2014 17:16 |  #20

http://www.nickleadlay​.com/ (external link)

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

ro1313
33 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 04, 2014 19:46 |  #21

gonzogolf wrote in post #16807428 (external link)
So you have no problem misleading potential clients?

Was it misleading when we used film and a pro lab to make the prints?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 04, 2014 20:40 |  #22

ro1313 wrote in post #16810640 (external link)

Of course not, so long as the same standard of prints was provided to the client. If you used an expensive hand printing service to produce top quality prints for your portfolio, then got the clients prints done at the local Walmart, it would be misleading, yes.

I think you have missed Gonzogolf's point (with which I agree). The OP stated that he only wanted a few images worked on to "make them really stand out" in his portfolio. From everything they have said (and they were asked specifically to clarify) it appears they are talking about using the retoucher to improve the quality of some of their best images for portfolio use only. These retouched images will then be used to showcase the OPs work, so potential clients will be judging the standard of work on the retouched images. Then they will receive images retouched by the OP and not the "phenomenal photoshopper" the OP is looking to hire to create the samples.

The point that has been made is that it is misrepresenting the product, by having the portfolio retouched to a standard that will not be present in the delivered images. If the OP was going to have this "phenomenal photoshopper" retouch all the images provided to the client, then there would be no problem.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 04, 2014 21:30 |  #23

ro1313 wrote in post #16810640 (external link)

Not if you were delivering prints of equal quality to the client. But with that said I don't feel that the two are directly analogous in that the range of corrections available with from a skilled retoucher via Photoshop is greater than those available from a pro print lab.

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 04, 2014 22:32 |  #24

If you're seeking retouching to provide something beyond what you can do, offer it as an add-on service and credit the retoucher. If you're simply relieving workload and having work done that you can do, different story.

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 04, 2014 23:07 |  #25

http://www.joeyl.com (external link)

Tell me which photos in his port have been retouched by an outside vendor, and which have not.

If you can deliver a unified look to your product, you're doing things right.

wizeguy4
272 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 04, 2014 23:57 |  #26

there is an interesting side debate going on inside here. Part of me agrees with gonzogolf and then part of me says that I have yet to ever see a product in any marketing photography get delivered looking like the ad displayed. especially food

FB - RiveraProject (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jbsg02
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 05, 2014 00:44 |  #27

Maybe I need to clear this up. Anyone who shoots a wedding doesn't do a meticulous edit for each of their few hundred images. You pick the few best ones and make those what you might consider "the signature shots" of the bunch. Like I said, I do a pretty good job in post, better than most, but was looking to find someone with a real talent to take those few images and see what they can do. If I liked it and thought it really enhanced the image, I would continue using that person. If they didn't seem to be any better than my own, just different, that's another story.

jbriggsphoto.com (external link)
5D3, 6D, 70-200 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 85mm 1.2L ii, 135mm f/2L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 580 ex ii

sponsored links

2,714 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can anyone recommmend a phenomenal photoshop artist?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.