Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 12 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rise from tranquil grounds

habakuk
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 12, 2014 18:40 |  #1

IMAGE: http://www.punctumgallery.ch/scenic/pub/riseofspring_800.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.punctumgall​ery.ch …pub/riseofsprin​g_1200.jpg  (external link)

(click > zoom)

Context can be found in the blog.

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2014 01:04 |  #2

Beautiful color and contrast

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 26, 2014 02:34 |  #3

I really like your images, and this is no exception. But if I'm being honest, this particular ones isn't one of my favorites.

And here's the thing...I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with image. But one of the things I love about much of your work is your strength to take really mundane stuff and show it in a way that makes me feel like I've never seen it before. This looks good, but I feel like I've seen it before. It's very well done, but it feels a lot to me like so many of the reflections that I've seen posted all over the place everywhere. It's sort of a subjective nitpick that's hard to properly express. It's still good, but lots of your other work looks good and UNIQUE. This sort of just sort of looks good and cliched.

Again, nothing wrong with cliches. If this is a cliche, then it's a good cliche. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that much of your other work has a certain UNIQUENESS that I think is missing here. It's still a good image, but it's just far less INTERESTING to me than much of your other work because I just feel like I've seen this image way too many times before.

There's also one other thing that's sort of bothering me. This reflection photograph sort of implies a conventional world juxtaposed with a mirror world. Things are reflected (or repeated), drawing attention to the fact that there are multiple ways to look at things. "Real" world is on top, "alternate" world is on bottom. I actually find this to be a fascinating representation of your vision (based on what I've seen of your work) due to how you often show really simple and mundane stuff and then make it look unique and different. This contrast and examination of different ways of seeing is appropriately divided by contrasting colors. One way of seeing is yellow, the other distorted way of seeing is represented by the opposite of yellow. So we have opposites/contrasts/du​alities/whatever operating on both a conceptual level and in terms of the colors employed. With that in mind, I'm a little bit confused by that patch of blue up at the top. The reeds are low enough for me to see blue at the top of the image, when I've already associated blue with the "mirror world". So that clean divide between opposites is broken. That sort of makes the duality into a FALSE duality. There is no "blue" vs "yellow", the blue is all over the place and ever present even within the spaces that have been designated as yellow.

So my question is, is there a reason for that? Or was that just unintentional? Because it is bothering me a little bit. Everything in the image is screaming "this juxtaposed with its opposite", then you have that one little blue patch of water up top that creeps in and breaks up the opposite symmetry that is so present everywhere else. And that makes me a little bit uncomfortable. Is there a conceptual reason for that, or is that something that happened for other reasons?

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 29, 2014 17:03 |  #4

Thanks rick_reno & Clean Gene.

Special thanks for the insightful comment, Gene. Well, yes, this one isn't particularly exceptional or surprising. It is just another part of my photographic journey. I was blown away by the gold in the sea of blue and the fact, that the sun played the smaller part, yet has quite some significance. The blue part on top was sort of a balance to me. If you inspect the implied lines or curves, the blue at the top provides a echo of the curve on the lower part of the shot. Beside that thought, it was mainly a gut feeling of wanting the blue stay there, instead of cropping it all together. I do have a second version of the same scene. I might post it here, for comparison. In that second attempt, I went further and might please you more. :) I truly appreciate your feedback!

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 02, 2014 19:15 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

That is a cool landscape / nature shot.

My Homepage (external link)

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2014 15:31 |  #6

Thank you, Adharr.

Virtual Exhibitions:

sponsored links

1,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rise from tranquil grounds
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.