Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 30 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr - Photostream to show only best photos

GoCanes
90 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 30, 2014 21:09 |  #1

I have been viewing forum members photostreams on Flickr. It seems many are able to show a sampling of their best photos in the photostream.

I am stumped as to how they do it. Mine are based on the date of upload, and certainly are not a sample of my best photos. Any tips?

Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma Ex DC HSM 10-20mm, Canon 430 EX II, Sigma 70-210 2.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dantoniophotos/ (external link)

sponsored links
John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 04, 2014 05:52 |  #2

I'd suggest making a set and have your best ones in there - for me I upload using lightroom and a smart filter to only add the three star and up images. Of course your photostream will always have everything you upload but if you link to your best set its what you'd be showing people here.

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

GoCanes
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 04, 2014 13:54 as a reply to  @ John_N's post |  #3

I am not quite sure I understand how you accomplish what you are stating. I viewed your flickr account and the first thing I see are a very nice array of different sort of photos that I am looking to mimic. Seems to be your photostream.

I then clicked on sets and what appears to be the last set you added is listed as Cayton Bay 2014. On my flickr whatever I posted last is what is shown in the photostream, good bad or ugly.

You state "Of course your photostream will always have everything you upload but if you link to your best set its what you'd be showing people here."

Simple question is how can I do this? My problem is I take photos for my son's team and parents like to go on and view so I dump most of the photos on Flickr in each set but would like to showcase the best.

Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma Ex DC HSM 10-20mm, Canon 430 EX II, Sigma 70-210 2.8

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 04, 2014 14:13 |  #4

GoCanes wrote in post #16809902 (external link)
I then clicked on sets and what appears to be the last set you added is listed as Cayton Bay 2014. On my flickr whatever I posted last is what is shown in the photostream, good bad or ugly.

If you want specific photos highlighted, then your best option is a set and to share the link to it.

People may still browse to your photostream, so the rule is don't upload anything bad and people won't see it.

Joel

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 04, 2014 14:52 |  #5

Yes, as Joel says, just link to the set you've created for your best shots - for example if I take one of your existing sets - the Thunder vs Eels (external link) and link it using the Insert Link tools here.

You can then just use that link in your signature and while people could jump back to the photostream they would land on whatever it was you made the link for.

Edit: from mine I might link to here: Interesting top 50 (external link) : its a generated set created by dopiaza's set generator (external link) which just looks at your images and ranks them by certain criteria, pretty handy and can be made to update daily, so if you get an explore it'll pop right up there by itself.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 04, 2014 15:00 |  #6

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16809940 (external link)
.......so the rule is don't upload anything bad and people won't see it.

This.

Why flood your photostream? Learn to edit your work, and by edit I mean cull it down to the best shot from each set. The quickest way to turn me off to a photostream is to see tons of photos from the same event all dumped on there. That's a sure indicator that little thought went into the culling of the images. If you feel compelled to show more than one or two, I'd still try to keep it under a dozen, and make sure each shot shows a different kind of moment or action.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 04, 2014 15:04 |  #7

It rather depends on how you use it - I use mine for family and friends so they can see the kids growing up and have only recently adopted a 3 star plus policy, which is a bit of a best of both worlds, but having recently had a similar conversation people really do have different needs.

The of course theres the other approach - have two accounts - one you flood with whatever, the other you only post your very best - link to the latter and keep the flooded one as a simple online backup/family account.
You could even host in different places - flickr for the bulk stuff, 500px for the best.

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 04, 2014 15:06 |  #8

PS: Scatterbrained your shots are great :D

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 05, 2014 00:27 |  #9

John_N wrote in post #16810086 (external link)
The of course theres the other approach - have two accounts - one you flood with whatever, the other you only post your very best - link to the latter and keep the flooded one as a simple online backup/family account.
You could even host in different places - flickr for the bulk stuff, 500px for the best.

Don't forget Flickr also has privacy settings.

You can still share private photos using a "guest pass", which is what I do for family photos.

If you feel the need to throw everything up there for backup purposes, then perhaps consider flagging them as private and only showcase your best shots publicly.

Joel

GoCanes
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 05, 2014 06:48 |  #10

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16810073 (external link)
This.

Why flood your photostream? Learn to edit your work, and by edit I mean cull it down to the best shot from each set. The quickest way to turn me off to a photostream is to see tons of photos from the same event all dumped on there. That's a sure indicator that little thought went into the culling of the images. If you feel compelled to show more than one or two, I'd still try to keep it under a dozen, and make sure each shot shows a different kind of moment or action.

That is exactly why I posted the question. I post lots of photos to Flickr many for other kids parents. Flickr for me is not a showcase but a method of distributing photos for team members. (Not that I have much to showcase anyway!) However, I wanted to tidy up the photostream. After reviewing the responses it seems I cannot tidy up the photostream but I can change my link here at this forum.

It doesn't make much sense the way it is handled by Flickr. The sets are chronological (you can't even change the order if you want to), so why photostream the latest set? It is obvious which is the last set posted.

Thanks to all for the responses, hopefully I will have some time over the weekend to make a set and change my link.

GoCanes
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 05, 2014 06:52 |  #11

John_N wrote in post #16810086 (external link)

Not a bad idea. I see you use google+. I was very happy with that service but stopped using it when i had to do a lot of PP in LR to the sports shots and didn't want to have to make a separate copy for posting on there.

I like the idea of two Flickr accounts and will think about creating another.

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 05, 2014 08:18 |  #12

To be honest I'm rubbish at keeping the various sites up to date and if I'm honest its because I'm lazy - lightroom > flickr with smart sets = easy :D
So I just changed the way I used flickr.
Google+ although good and is easy to upload (via Picasaweb (external link)) doesn't anounce the new photos so they're there but just in the background so that sort of fizzled away for me.
500px started being silly on my account - photos not published, items not available for the store despite meeting the requirements, so I fell out with that - loads swear by it though - also easy to upload from lightroom.

Two flickr accounts - easy to do but easy to forget, plus multiple uploads.

I was just researching to see if there was a way in flickr to restrict images to specific people based on set and as best as I can tell there isn't which is a shame when dealing with children images - it could be done using the friends category I guess but its a bit rubbish.

You could always host your own wedsite (not all that expensive) but probably overkill, must get my site (external link)into my sig :)

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 05, 2014 08:22 |  #13

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16811040 (external link)
Don't forget Flickr also has privacy settings.

You can still share private photos using a "guest pass", which is what I do for family photos.

If you feel the need to throw everything up there for backup purposes, then perhaps consider flagging them as private and only showcase your best shots publicly.

+1. This is what I do. Mark them Private, friends and/or family, then only registered users that you have accepted can see those images. You can dump ALL the photos you want for the family and keep your best stuff public.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 05, 2014 14:23 |  #14

GoCanes wrote in post #16811323 (external link)
That is exactly why I posted the question. I post lots of photos to Flickr many for other kids parents. Flickr for me is not a showcase but a method of distributing photos for team members. (Not that I have much to showcase anyway!) However, I wanted to tidy up the photostream. After reviewing the responses it seems I cannot tidy up the photostream but I can change my link here at this forum.

It doesn't make much sense the way it is handled by Flickr. The sets are chronological (you can't even change the order if you want to), so why photostream the latest set? It is obvious which is the last set posted.

Thanks to all for the responses, hopefully I will have some time over the weekend to make a set and change my link.

While you can use separate Flickr accounts or privacy settings to handle team/event photos, why not migrate that stuff to SmugMug? SmugMug is set up for just that kind of work. Not only can you set up separate galleries (private or public), but parents can by prints right from the site.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 05, 2014 14:24 |  #15

John_N wrote in post #16810092 (external link)
PS: Scatterbrained your shots are great :D

Thanks. :oops::D

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

sponsored links

3,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr - Photostream to show only best photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.