I think this is the place to put this question, if not, could I ask a mod to move it to where it may be better suited.
Hi all. Short story long. For quite a while I have been happy mostly about how I store my photos.
Bit of a background on how I do it. Laugh if it sucks, but it's what I started doing purely because I had no other ideas at the time and it basically stuck with me.
I keep all my raws in folders of 1000 per folder, and named the folders as such numerically, so under a main folder called 50D raws I have sub folders called 0-1000, 1001-2000 etc etc. When I only had my 50D it was fine, then when I got to over 10K I simply added a new first digit to the filename, I.E IMG_12305. for example. I used a renamer to automate it quickly and that kept me from having duplicate filenames for different images.
When I process them I save them off as IMG_12305_xxxx.JPG "x" standing for the image size on it's longest size. If I knew I was going to print it I would do it suit the print size I wanted and label it IMG_12305_6_4.jpg for example for a 6*4 print. If someone said they wanted a shot of the blue plane for example, I said simply tell me the file name of the one they mean and I can trace it all the way back to the original raw if I needed to.
The first problem (one of them anyway) started to arise when I got a new camera. So I started a new folder structure but this time called 7D raw/0-1000 and so on as I took more and more, no different to the 50D structure. As I do a lot of similar type of stuff be it aircraft or RC planes and my kids I am finding that I am having conflicting filenames starting to appear for similar photos and it's starting to get a little confusing and frankly quite messy!
a second issue I have, is for some reason, my 7D decided one day to go back about 4000 actuations and so I have lost the original counter. Why it did this I have no idea but it definately did. Add to that, a bit (lot) of slackness on my behalf for a while in not renaming the files as I went, and now that I have gone well past 20K on the 7D I have multiple duplicate filenames just for this camera as well now as the ones from the 50D. In some cases I have the original filname, say IMG_4579 and another one which actually should be IMG_24579 AND as I had that funky counter rewind I have another IMG_4579 which is actually not as it didn't go back a block of a few thousand exactly, it went back by some crazy number like 3894 actuations. So I don't even know exactly what it is in the order of things.
I was thinking the first step is to plonk all my 7D RAWS into one folder then get a renamer to change the filenames and put them in chronological order to at least get them resembling some sort of organisation and at least get the 7D images back to some sort of organised state...... Problem with doing that of course is it will throw out the filenames of all the images I have already processed so I can't find my way back to the raw if needed...........ARRRGH! And I still have the first problem of duplicate names from two cameras to contend with!
I use DPP and PS if that gives more insight. I understand lightroom is a good organiser but I don't have it. Also if it matters I don't use the 50D at all anymore, so it's only the 7D that is racking up more files.
I am interested to find out how others do all this and try and improve on my "system".....it can't get much worse!