Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poor First Shots

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 04, 2014 05:35 |  #46

Thinman,

I'm sorry you had such a tough start on this forum. If you give it a bit longer, I think you'll find lots of interesting and helpful people here. When I first stumbled upon POTN, I was just starting out in digital photography and owned a Canon G12. The people here helped me so much with their suggestions, book recommendations, etc.

I seldom shoot in manual mode. I'm in AV most of the time, which means I can adjust the aperture of the lens with my main dial. I usually manually change the ISO to get the shutter speed I need for the shot. Some people like auto ISO but for some reason, I don't. I guess I use AV mode sort of like manual except I let the camera adjust one of the other two points of the exposure triangle.

One other thing I've discovered is age affected my ability to hold a camera still. I have a pretty good holding technique, I think, but I'm not as steady as I used to be. I use a monopod or tripod almost all the time. I got used to doing so more quickly than I thought I would. I don't see as much camera shake in my photos now.

Anyway, you will do what you need to do but giving POTN another chance might just work out for you, over time. It sure has for me.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 04, 2014 06:31 |  #47

ThinMan wrote in post #16808877 (external link)
I will pleasantly let this go and go find another forum. Or start my own, hell I got V Bulletin to.

Very sorry to hear you have had a bad experience here. I have had a great experience here and would recommend you keep going here, I believe most members have had great advice and gained a lot here.

Try other forums:
https://photography-on-the.net …=other+photogra​phy+forums

But this is the best forum I have found.

This is an open forum and anyone can join so you are bound to get differences of opinion and misunderstandings, however I see very little of this. The critique corner is the one place that invites severe criticism! Perhaps the general talk section might be a bit less critical.

Best of luck whatever you do. I am still hoping you will post your recent images and that we will see you have begun to understand your camera. :)

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 04, 2014 08:46 |  #48

I will pleasantly let this go and go find another forum. Or start my own, hell I got V Bulletin to.

Three things.

1) It just isn't possible to use Internet and be thin-skinned. That's like having celiac disease and still decide to eat gluten.

2) You'd be hard-pressed to gain any advantage to move away from POTN. It doesn't matter if you have your own V Bulletin, if you don't also have experienced and knowledgeable visitors.

3) If you ever expect to interact with skilled/knowledgeable people, you have no option but to accept the existence of other people too. Only a paid-for service could have 100% polite experts. But the disadvantage is that they only help with problems - they would not come with creative suggestions, since their salary isn't intending them to chat about own ideas.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 04, 2014 12:27 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah it has....if a Mod sees this thread close it.

Nope. And how so? This is not an Ancient Text site please do not read more into what is not there.

I do. And the fact that one poster decided to take a pot shot at my seriousness about this pissed me off.

I asked you about your commitment because there has been lots of threads started by people who just do not have the commitment to learn what it takes to get the most of their DSLR. Some of these guys even invested in pricey equipment thinking that was all they needed. My question was genuine and honest, not meant to bother or disrespect if it did my apologies.

You need a book, a good text. That's vital. Guys around here are surely an important source of knowledge but you must have your own at hand resource. You don't need to have a camera hang around your neck all the the time...well yes and no. You need to shoot, shoot and shoot. It takes time but its worth it. Ive been shooting as an amateur since the 80's when all there was available was film and used an old Pietri 35mm camera (from my Dad) as well as a Canon lend to me by my uncle. It sounds like a lot of time (perhaps it is!) but even with that I'm still learning everyday. I'm sure a lot of guys will feel the same way. Good luck.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 04, 2014 16:17 |  #50

pwm2 wrote in post #16809186 (external link)
Three things.

1) It just isn't possible to use Internet and be thin-skinned. That's like having celiac disease and still decide to eat gluten.

2) You'd be hard-pressed to gain any advantage to move away from POTN. It doesn't matter if you have your own V Bulletin, if you don't also have experienced and knowledgeable visitors.

3) If you ever expect to interact with skilled/knowledgeable people, you have no option but to accept the existence of other people too. Only a paid-for service could have 100% polite experts. But the disadvantage is that they only help with problems - they would not come with creative suggestions, since their salary isn't intending them to chat about own ideas.

Got no idea what you are talking about.....-? Why are people assuming I am mad or something? I am not so whats the deal? I don't need wooden teeth to teach about George Washington.

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 04, 2014 19:29 |  #51

ThinMan wrote in post #16810231 (external link)
Got no idea what you are talking about.....-? Why are people assuming I am mad or something? I am not so whats the deal? I don't need wooden teeth to teach about George Washington.

...oh, I don't know...

I do. And the fact that one poster decided to take a pot shot at my seriousness about this pissed me off.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 05, 2014 02:33 |  #52

ThinMan wrote in post #16810231 (external link)

I'm thinking troll or someone that can't take some good advice, not sure which....

Of course if George Washington had wooden teeth maybe we would have a bite:

http://www.mountvernon​.org …lopedia/wooden-teeth-myth (external link)

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 05, 2014 03:17 |  #53

BigLobowski wrote in post #16810609 (external link)
...oh, I don't know...

Re-read it.....assuming again...

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 05, 2014 03:19 |  #54

tmoore323 wrote in post #16811123 (external link)
I'm thinking troll or someone that can't take some good advice, not sure which....

http://www.mountvernon​.org …lopedia/wooden-teeth-myth (external link)

Figure of speech....:roll eyes:

It's possible you could be a troll.

Time to let this go as it is going to lead to nothing but insults and name calling eventually. I will read back through the thread and take some notes I appreciate all the help when I have something to post in the area of photos I will start another thread.

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 05, 2014 07:44 |  #55

ThinMan wrote in post #16811150 (external link)
... I appreciate all the help when I have something to post in the area of photos I will start another thread.

Well said - look forward to seeing your new images.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

DigitalDon
540 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 05, 2014 11:09 |  #56

ThinMan wrote in post #16797054 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

This is the setup I used:

Manual, Lens EF 55-250mm, 1/60, F/4.5 ISO 100 got no idea what happened.

The image was a good ways away about a football field maybe. I took a few pictures of some geese as well and they turned out the same way.....pointers, tips anything..only been playing around with this thing for about 2 days and these are the only pictures that have shown up....I got no idea whats going on or what to do wt this point?????

As a side note I took a picture of my cat same everything as above except I used ISO 400 and f/22 this was indoors and all I got was a black box with no picture!!

Hi ThinMan
Is that a snow scene, if so, did you bring the camera outside (warm house) and start taking pictures? Might be condensation on the lens, mirror or sensor. But then again you would more than likely would have seen it when looking through the view finder. Just my stab in the dark as to what it might be.

(EOS RebelT3i EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Kit) (EFS 55 - 250 mm lense f/4-5.6 IS II) (YONGNUO YN 565EX flash)

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 06, 2014 08:19 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

Wow I've never seen anyone so sensitive to constructive criticism. Guess no good deed goes unpunished.

ThinMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 06, 2014 09:02 |  #58

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16813200 (external link)
Wow I've never seen anyone so sensitive to constructive criticism. Guess no good deed goes unpunished.

Constructive criticism don't bother me so I guess you know me better than I do huh? Some here most likely complain that the color of their turds is not right.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 06, 2014 10:59 |  #59

At least he's entertaining.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 06, 2014 13:05 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #60

Title it 'Nuclear Winter' and send it to print :cool:

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

sponsored links

9,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Poor First Shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.