Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Apr 2014 (Monday) 07:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shopping for my first softbox, is this one okay?

Moin
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 07, 2014 07:09 |  #1

http://www.phottixstor​e.com …x-varos-xs-combo-kit.html (external link)

Phottix 60x90 cm Easy-Up Softbox / Varos XS Combo Kit.

Advise please.

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 07, 2014 07:58 |  #2

One thing that I notice is that it apparently can only be positioned one way - pointing straight across the floor. I almost never use any of my softboxes in that orientation.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Vetteography
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 07, 2014 09:00 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #3

The thing I don't like about that style is that you have to remove the diffuser to change flash settings.

I prefer the speed-ring style softboxes with the flash outside the box. Then you can use just about any kind of trigger, including slave, to make it work and it is a lot easier to get to the flash if you want to change power levels etc. The light is not quite as even though...

Hmm... I wonder if anyone makes a beauty dish style deflector insert for speed-ring softboxes? Best of both worlds there....

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 07, 2014 09:37 |  #4

Vetteography wrote in post #16815705 (external link)
The thing I don't like about that style is that you have to remove the diffuser to change flash settings.

Unless you have a flash/trigger system that allows remote power changing.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 07, 2014 09:47 |  #5

That style of box gives a nice quality of light as the speedlite is rear facing and fills the entire box. Its perhaps a little less efficient than a forward facing box, but not that much. As noted above the main concern is that you have very limited ability to tilt the box If you have a stand capable of tilting with a boom shaft of some sort it doesnt matter, but otherwise its a limitation to consider.

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 07, 2014 10:03 |  #6

I see, which one would you recommend? (same price range). Also, I didn't notice that we can position it one way, perks of getting POTN's advice :) - thanks.

flickrr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 07, 2014 10:27 |  #7

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …jIAcw&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link) Its a bit more expensive and round, but for speedlites its a great versatile box.

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 07, 2014 10:41 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #16815859 (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …jIAcw&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link) Its a bit more expensive and round, but for speedlites its a great versatile box.

Thanks I'm more interested in getting a softbox first. Less on cash, already have couple of umbrella's. :)

flickrr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 07, 2014 10:45 |  #9

Moin wrote in post #16815892 (external link)
Thanks I'm more interested in getting a softbox first. Less on cash, already have couple of umbrella's. :)

But that is a softbox, just as much as the one you linked to. Other than one being square they operate the same. The problem you have with a speedlite is that the ones where the flash faces forward there are practical limits to how big a box you can fill. There is a reason why the 24inch boxes are very common for speedlites. If you want to go bigger (and therefore softer) rear mount/front facing gets more expensive and less adjustable.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 07, 2014 11:29 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #16815909 (external link)
There is a reason why the 24inch boxes are very common for speedlites. If you want to go bigger (and therefore softer) rear mount/front facing gets more expensive and less adjustable.

last year i spent a lot of time looking into expanding my lighting kit and this ^ is the conclusion i came to. Many folks will tell you otherwise, and they might be right, to a point. But if you want even corner to corner lighting with a forward facing speedlight, you should be looking at 24 inch square, or 24 x 36 max. Depth is important as well.

I went with two of these:

https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/Cheetah-QBox-24-Pro-p/q24.htm (external link)

you get a bracket, two diffusers, a circular insert to change the shape of the light, and a grid. Considering all that is included that is quite a deal, IMO.

FWIW, the grid on the Phottix you posted doesn't look very tight.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Moin
THREAD ­ STARTER
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 07, 2014 18:25 |  #11

Alright, thanks!

flickrr (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 09, 2014 08:28 |  #12

Just like my drum kits......you gotta have Boom Stands!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 09, 2014 08:40 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Vetteography wrote in post #16815705 (external link)

I prefer the speed-ring style softboxes with the flash outside the box. Then you can use just about any kind of trigger, including slave, to make it work and it is a lot easier to get to the flash if you want to change power levels etc. The light is not quite as even though...

Hmm... I wonder if anyone makes a beauty dish style deflector insert for speed-ring softboxes? Best of both worlds there....

There is something like this (external link).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2014 16:09 |  #14

I have that umbrella style softbox, got it off ebay or Amazon, for considerably less than the price in that link. Looks just like the one in your link. Check out Neewer, ephoto, etc, they are all pretty similar.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

VirtualRain
541 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 10, 2014 17:42 |  #15

BrickR wrote in post #16824519 (external link)
I have that umbrella style softbox, got it off ebay or Amazon, for considerably less than the price in that link. Looks just like the one in your link. Check out Neewer, ephoto, etc, they are all pretty similar.

Yeah, someone recently suggested these which are extremely affordable...
http://amzn.com/B001BS​QK8Q (external link)

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

sponsored links

2,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shopping for my first softbox, is this one okay?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.