Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2014 (Friday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Bride chose my photo instead of the hired photographer, how much should I charge?

this thread is locked
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,155 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 06, 2014 19:03 |  #31

chriswolf wrote in post #16814421 (external link)
Ok gentlemen, the pro just called me, thanked me for informing him about what happened and telling me that he understand the situation but I can't sell my images to the bride. No drama, he was very nice and polite.
He also assumes that the bride is playing a weird game as you said in other posts.

Nice. I hope you agree with his assessment. Since you were honest about it you'll probably get asked to help more in the future. Good job for doing the right thing.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,898 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 06, 2014 19:18 |  #32

If you want to work as a professional photographer then don't piss on those that also work in the indrustry. These are your work buddys that you can share stories with and even share work with. While your out there making money you might find in the future that you may need them to get out of a jam.

If you dump on other photographers they are will be able to send you work. If they are busy they may recommend other photographers. If you don't have a good reputation then they won't recommend you.

I would have just told the bride that all your photos are the property of the guy they hired. Its none of her business if they aren't.

Running a business is about many things, having a good reputation is one of them.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 07, 2014 06:41 |  #33

Sounds like it all turned out well. Hopefully the pro learned something too. The usage of your images should have been VERY clear.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 07, 2014 07:55 |  #34

The usage of your images should have been VERY clear.

Surely this would have been pointed out by the first shooter at the time? Why would he let him come to some wedding as a second shooter, learn from the guy.... and at the end of the night walk away and then sell the images backdoor stlye? I know the OP has explained it a little better now, but from the first post, it sounded a bit suss.

This was why I asked how the bride got in touch with him thinking the OP had a quiet word and threw her a mobile number. But I stand corrected as it was explained.

If I ever got the chance to do this with a pro, I would be EXPECTING to hand over all the RAWS and not sell them to the bride on my own. It's his gig, his business. If he calls me back for another wedding because I did a half decent job, THEN we start talking compensation..... Or is that just me being a little naive?

My current job and one I have done for 30 years now I worked for a week as a pimply kid for free to simply show the guy I was keen. He put me on as an aprrentice and the rest is history. Sometimes it's better to look longterm rather than short term. Btw, after the week was up he did pay me for that even though I said I would work for free.

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

Aspock
617 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 07, 2014 12:30 |  #35

I'm not a pro photographer but my father in law was until he retired.

Many years ago he a had a bad car accident and was hospitalised for nearly a year. During that time all his "competition" (other local pro's) stood in, did his weddings and sittings and made sure he got paid.

He would have done the same for them, and did on occasion. That's what makes the difference I think

Aidan

My Website:
www.aidanplace.co.uk (external link)
My Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/66576178@N03/se​ts/ (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,843 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2014 12:48 |  #36

Aspock wrote in post #16816170 (external link)

Many years ago he a had a bad car accident and was hospitalised for nearly a year. During that time all his "competition" (other local pro's) stood in, did his weddings and sittings and made sure he got paid.

He would have done the same for them, and did on occasion. That's what makes the difference I think

Aidan

This is a great story.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 07, 2014 14:36 |  #37

Aspock wrote in post #16816170 (external link)

Aidan

Nice

Lots of people dont realise when they starting out that the wedding is one job, you most likely will never see them again. But your rivals arent your enemy, they are your fellow photographers who at some time or the other will all experience an issue or two, its better for the community to stand by each other.

Someone once said you can always tell who's the pro gun owners, they the ones forming a cirular firing line.....

Aspock
617 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 07, 2014 16:11 |  #38

And he'd be embarrassed if he knew I'd recounted it :-)

My Website:
www.aidanplace.co.uk (external link)
My Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/66576178@N03/se​ts/ (external link)

GTR3451
203 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 10, 2014 14:29 |  #39

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16809300 (external link)
First: why did the main photographer have you there if you didn't even return photos to him ? What was the benefit for him in this arrangement ?

Second, I suspect you are well within your legal rights to negotiate a price and sell the images to the bride, but it really seems ethically dubious for the reasons others have pointed out: you were working for him, you were only there because of him, and you possibly piggy-backed off his setups, poses, location choices. At the very least I think you should be contacting the guy.

Third, I find it somewhat lacking in integrity to be attempting to infer how much money the wedding couple has when setting your price. If they were millionaires does that somehow make your images more valuable ?

perfectly said...and technically the images you take working for another person belong to him, typically the 2nd shooter hands the memory cards over. But if he was there letting you do your thing expecting nothing, I don't see the problem in making money for yourself if you can. As long as you're not going against your word or breaking the terms of the arrangement. Tough situation...

But than again the most important situation here is the client, and she should be satisfied.

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L f/4 | Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 10, 2014 14:35 |  #40

GTR3451 wrote in post #16824248 (external link)
perfectly said...and technically the images you take working for another person belong to him, typically the 2nd shooter hands the memory cards over. .

Only by agreement, and there seems to be no formal agreement to that effect here. It should have been stated but apparently wasn't.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2014 14:40 |  #41

GTR3451 wrote in post #16824248 (external link)
But than again the most important situation here is the client, and she should be satisfied.

I agree with this to an extent. What if a client (bride in this case) isn't "satisfied" paying the photogs print price? To satisfy the client should a photog drop his price to satisfy the client even though they entered into a contract and the client knew the price? All hypotheical.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 10, 2014 20:16 |  #42

This seems easy to catch the Bride in the lie - first pull down the online gallery, although she has probably already lifted everything she can. Contact the person you worked for and offer him the RAWs. Tell the Bride that since you were the second shooter she has to go through her hired professional to purchase any images from the session including yours.

This allows her the opportunity to get the images she wants of her day at a fair price, it protects the income of the Pro who allowed you to train with him, if she is trying to use you for cheap shots it will stop her, and finally it will give you a good name with this photographer and someone you can use for a reference in the future.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 13, 2014 11:20 |  #43

You should offer your photos for free since you weren't paid to be there and were there willingly for experience. You were paid in experience and should be happy that someone liked your photos.

dmitrim
594 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 13, 2014 11:34 |  #44

I think what you are doing is unethical.
A photographer was kind enough to invite to shadow him and in return you are "paying" him by stealing his client,possibly future clients, current and future revenue,etc and your excuse is that "he should have delivered better pictures and he did not paid me to shoot with him...".

Not nice at all.
Do the right thing, either give the images to the photographer who invited you or at least ASK HIS PERMISSION and discuss it all with him. You don't know what is happening between the bride and the photographer and perhaps she just doesn't want to pay photographer for images as she doesn't care enough and looking for cheaper alternatives.

Either way, it would be extremely unprofessional of you to continue dealing with the bride. You absolutely have no right to sell any images as it was not your wedding. The only way it would be ok, if you tried to contact the photographer and wasn't able.

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

kuraz
624 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2014 18:36 |  #45

dmitrim wrote in post #16830212 (external link)
I think what you are doing is unethical.
A photographer was kind enough to invite to shadow him and in return you are "paying" him by stealing his client,possibly future clients, current and future revenue,etc and your excuse is that "he should have delivered better pictures and he did not paid me to shoot with him...".

Not nice at all.
Do the right thing, either give the images to the photographer who invited you or at least ASK HIS PERMISSION and discuss it all with him. You don't know what is happening between the bride and the photographer and perhaps she just doesn't want to pay photographer for images as she doesn't care enough and looking for cheaper alternatives.

Either way, it would be extremely unprofessional of you to continue dealing with the bride. You absolutely have no right to sell any images as it was not your wedding. The only way it would be ok, if you tried to contact the photographer and wasn't able.

Thought he got it straight 6 days ago???!??!?

Glad everything worked out for the OP. I guess the bride is a true scam artist....or thought she was.

Gear

sponsored links

9,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Bride chose my photo instead of the hired photographer, how much should I charge?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.