Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Apr 2014 (Monday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon G9 upgrade

K-Holed
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 07, 2014 16:37 |  #1

Hello

I'm currently in the market for an upgrade for my trusty G9. I enjoy using it, but its limitations have become increasingly apparent. I want to step in to the world of DSLR, but I'm unsure of the best way in. Currently I'm looking at the 700D and the 70D. My main focus is on live performance, macro and I'm also interested in using the Chandra for video and some astrophotography (planetary and lunar). Obviously the 70D is a much more expensive beast, but I'd also hate to be frustrated by any possible limitations of the 700D.

So in a nutshell, I'm looking for good low light performance and the ability to shoot decent video.

I look forward to your replies.

jsimon724
201 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 07, 2014 19:27 |  #2

I can definitely recommend the 70d for what you want to do. No experience with the 700d, but the 70d is an awesome camera with probably some of the best video capabilities of any dslr on the market right now.

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 08, 2014 17:00 |  #3

I went from a G9 to a 60D in 2012. The G9 does very well in bright light landscape type shots.

But the 60D blows it away in low light and I love having a functional viewfinder. I have played around with a coworkers 70D and it does have some nice upgrades over the 60D. But the 60D is a very nice camera.

I use Canon's 28 1.8 lens with very good low light performance.

Bottom line, if you got the extra $, go with the 70D. However the 60D us no slouch and should be considered for its value.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

465 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon G9 upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.