Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 19:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50/1.4A: It's been reviewed

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 09, 2014 16:58 |  #121

Bakewell wrote in post #16821978 (external link)
Interesting current thread over on DPReview...

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/post/53413151 (external link)

Many focusing issues are acknowledged as typical for this lens. One person even states he's glad he has his Canon 1.2 to fall back on when necessary (imagine that!). Guess we don't have to look back to bountiful earlier threads for instances of focus issues. Why would it not be justified to be cautious regarding possible focus issues with the NEW Sigma 1.4 lens? Inquisitive rational minds want to know!

I cant speak for all copies of the 35 art obviously, but the first guy complaining about it was at f1.4 and 1/30sec. In order to pull that off, you need to be SOLID as a rock. I would consider that trash data personally. Just like that user here who was shooting at ISO 3200, f1.4 , focusing on a branch 60 feet away in a wind storm lol.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,305 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 09, 2014 17:22 |  #122

MattD wrote in post #16822174 (external link)
The review has been updated... :)

Now with comparison to the zeiss

I saw that! I think - understandably so - that the comparison comments are colored a lot by the enthusiasm engendered by the huge price differential. I get it - I would do exactly the same. It's always thrilling when a product performs as well as another one at 4x the price.

I am looking forward to DXO's review as well since they have already reviewed the Otus. No doubt about it - Sigma's slammed another one out of the park and a lot of folks here at POTN are going to be really excited. :) For my part, I'm extremely happy/satisfied with my Otus irregardless of how well the Sigma performs. ;)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,764 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 09, 2014 17:44 |  #123

Are the actual sample images up? Didn't see anything other than studio test shots in the OP. I'd be interested to see them - thus far, I haven't been blown away by any sigmas, and I can't rightly say why, so I'm wondering if this will be more pleasing to me. I think that it's partially the color cast, but I can't put my finger on what else it might be - I recognize what they do well, but as a whole I've been un-wowed.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 09, 2014 19:18 |  #124

I had the 35 Art briefly. The copy I had definitely had focus issues. To get it to focus accurately on close distances, it would horribly front/back focus at infinity and vice versa. Sure, this can be remedied with the dock and the software, but who has the time to sit and fiddle with it for hours to get it right. Might have just been the copy I had? I'm happy with my Sigma 85 1.4.

Hopefully the 50 Art won't suffer from this.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2014 19:19 |  #125

Bakewell wrote in post #16821978 (external link)
Interesting current thread over on DPReview...

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/post/53413151 (external link)

Many focusing issues are acknowledged as typical for this lens. One person even states he's glad he has his Canon 1.2 to fall back on when necessary (imagine that!). Guess we don't have to look back to bountiful earlier threads for instances of focus issues. Why would it not be justified to be cautious regarding possible focus issues with the NEW Sigma 1.4 lens? Inquisitive rational minds want to know!

Because if you read what you posted in its entirety, you will find others stating it is the sharpest, most accurate AF fast lens They have including some L lenses. So what you inquisitively and rationally posted a link to as your proof that "many focusing issues are TYPICAL" is utter worthlessness.

Here is some rational and logical reading for you since you like posting links:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary​/typical (external link)

Read user reviews on link below, and note the star rating with 154 reviews
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …01_35mm_f_1_4_D​G_HSM.html (external link)

Here we have 137 4/5 stars to 18 3/1
http://www.amazon.com …_acr_txt?showVi​ewpoints=1 (external link)

Here is 19 reviews, 1 doesn't like focus in low light.
http://t.adorama.com …tm_medium=mobil​e_redirect (external link)

So it is 156 positive reviews to 19 negative, before adding whatever B and H 154 reviews totaling a 5 star average are, but lets call it 300 to 20 for easy math so I just provided you with over 325 opinions on a product with a 6% rate of dislike and a 94% positive experience.

I think you need to read this link again.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary​/typical (external link)

Of course if you were in fact capable of being rational and logical then you wouldn't put too much stock into much on the Internet, but a 50/50 dppreview thread with 6 people has to hold less water than over 325 user reviews.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2014 19:23 |  #126

And in all reality, like mentioned above, 6% is very high for problems with a manufactured good. but lenses are not the typical manufactured goods, and ALL companies have copy variance that would be unacceptable in other industries.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
FlikR (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 09, 2014 19:59 as a reply to  @ Nick3434's post |  #127
bannedPermanent ban

There have been an inordinate amount of focus issues with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens as evidenced on this forum and others. Does this mean every lens has a focus issue? No. People can choose to use or ignore this as they may. My only suggestion is that people may want to wait awhile before jumping blindly with the crowd to see what this upcoming behemoth is all about.

Dave

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2014 20:12 |  #128

Nick3434 wrote in post #16822391 (external link)
Because if you read what you posted in its entirety, you will find others stating it is the sharpest, most accurate AF fast lens They have including some L lenses. So what you inquisitively and rationally posted a link to as your proof that "many focusing issues are TYPICAL" is utter worthlessness.

Here is some rational and logical reading for you since you like posting links:

[/URL]

Of course if you were in fact capable of being rational and logical then you wouldn't put too much stock into much on the Internet, but a 50/50 dppreview thread with 6 people has to hold less water than over 325 user reviews.

The problem with Dave is willful blindness to any data/information that doesn't support his opinion. I've tried several times (before finding out how irrational he is) to show him data which contradicts his statements. All he does is completely ignore it. So you show him a link that points out 99% of people have no problems with a certain thing, and he will take that 1% of people who do, and make it seem like that 1% is more representative of reality than the 99% and therefore he is right and everyone else is wrong, stupid, blind, or what have you. Or he will just act as though your link never existed and post some other nonsense.
You really do get all kinds of special...

My advice: post your link, then ignore him. That way anyone with an ounce of grey matter will be able to draw their own conclusions based on the available data (or lack thereof on his part).

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 09, 2014 20:19 |  #129

Bakewell wrote in post #16822450 (external link)
There have been an inordinate amount of focus issues with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens as evidenced on this forum and others. Does this mean every lens has a focus issue? No. People can choose to use or ignore this as they may. My only suggestion is that people may want to wait awhile before jumping blindly with the crowd to see what this upcoming behemoth is all about.

Yes, the internet is the best metric for qualifying something....:cool:

Plus, if the AF does suck, just manual focus the thing like a $900 Otus!

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 09, 2014 20:28 |  #130
bannedPermanent ban

Sirrith wrote in post #16822476 (external link)
The problem with Dave is willful blindness to any data/information that doesn't support his opinion. I've tried several times (before finding out how irrational he is) to show him data which contradicts his statements. All he does is completely ignore it. So you show him a link that points out 99% of people have no problems with a certain thing, and he will take that 1% of people who do, and make it seem like that 1% is more representative of reality than the 99% and therefore he is right and everyone else is wrong, stupid, blind, or what have you. Or he will just act as though your link never existed and post some other nonsense.
You really do get all kinds of special...

My advice: post your link, then ignore him. That way anyone with an ounce of grey matter will be able to draw their own conclusions based on the available data (or lack thereof on his part).

You guys are special. There are any number of threads on this forum alone that the OP requests info on the various focus/bokeh issues regarding this lens. You and your team swarm all over them like flies on crap. You're unrelenting until you drive them away.
Too bad you can't be more social to people looking for information. The evidence is there for those that choose to see it.

Dave

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,309 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 09, 2014 20:51 |  #131

Bakewell wrote in post #16822514 (external link)
You guys are special. There are any number of threads on this forum alone that the OP requests info on the various focus/bokeh issues regarding this lens. You and your team swarm all over them like flies on crap. You're unrelenting until you drive them away.
Too bad you can't be more social to people looking for information. The evidence is there for those that choose to see it.

Hopeless:(

6D, 5D, 7D, 50D, 40D, Xsi, PENTAX mx-1, Sony a6000, Sony a3000 too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 09, 2014 21:16 |  #132

I have been following this thread and can't imagine how one can post/argue 20+ times about a lens that you have never seen or touched.

Give it a rest. Clearly you are not going to change anyone's mind about this glass and I doubt there'll many buyers here.

GO TAKE SOME PICTURES

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 09, 2014 21:36 |  #133

Bakewell wrote in post #16822514 (external link)
You guys are special. There are any number of threads on this forum alone that the OP requests info on the various focus/bokeh issues regarding this lens.

People mainly post when they have issues or questions. Should people start posting things like "this lens works as expected"? No, that would be useless clutter. There have been threads about 50L, 35L, and other L lens focus issues.........so therefore L lenses are crap!! :eyes

Fact is new sigma lenses are getting a ton of praise. Think it might be putting the canon zealots in an uproar :lol:

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 09, 2014 21:57 |  #134

Tapeman wrote in post #16822622 (external link)
I have been following this thread and can't imagine how one can post/argue 20+ times about a lens that you have never seen or touched.

Give it a rest. Clearly you are not going to change anyone's mind about this glass and I doubt there'll many buyers here.

GO TAKE SOME PICTURES

I actually did take photos today and even shared them here:cool:

I am done with bakewell, and this will be my last comment/response to anyone not referring to the lens itself or release dates.

The rest needs to be those coming on a thread about a lens and saying negative things about it that are not constructive. You also kimda contradicted yourself. The reason there are 20+ posts from people is because there actually ARE MANY buyers here, so your doubt is quite far from reality. I never buy on release anything, and I am preordering this along with MANY others here. This isn't a canon vs. sigma thing, it is purely a lens thing. If canon was making this for around the same alleged price, I would be equally as excited and active on this thread, the only difference would be it would be an entire thread praising canon from everyone.

Sorry, but it is looking to be an affordable optical monster that is worth getting excited over for people who enjoy the 50 FL.

Everything is relative.
FlikR (external link)

jiddle
298 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 09, 2014 22:48 |  #135

B&H has the 50mm ART available for pre-order!

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …01_50mm_f_1_4_d​g_hsm.html (external link)

by phone only, and according to someone on FM the pre-order amount was $950

5dmkiii | 17ts-e | 35L | 50L | 90ts-e | 135L | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

18,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50/1.4A: It's been reviewed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.