Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 02:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe LR mobile just came out, as did LR 5.4

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 08, 2014 23:34 |  #31

drvnbysound wrote in post #16820465 (external link)
Are you sure? The first version release of CC was cracked within a day or so. If you do a little bit of searching, you will find MANY fairly recent results (Feb/Mar). CC isn't stopping pirating, it's just an authentication server...

There's a difference between stopping pirating and reducing pirating. Is CC stopping pirating? No. Is it reducing pirating? Yes, and probably by a rather significant amount. So Adobe gets recurring revenue and they're reducing pirating. Win-win.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 08, 2014 23:51 |  #32

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16820516 (external link)
There's a difference between stopping pirating and reducing pirating. Is CC stopping pirating? No. Is it reducing pirating? Yes, and probably by a rather significant amount. So Adobe gets recurring revenue and they're reducing pirating. Win-win.

Do you have any information that can back that up other than speculation?

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

dave_bass5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2014 01:52 |  #33

drvnbysound wrote in post #16820534 (external link)
Do you have any information that can back that up other than speculation?

I know a couple of people (at least a couple) that still run pirated PS CC, but I know quite a few more that gave up on doing this and now use the legit Photography Package.
For them the price was right, and the hassle was a lot less.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

notastockpikr
431 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 09, 2014 04:58 |  #34

v35skyline wrote in post #16820461 (external link)
FYI, I don't have Creative Cloud and I was able to sign in using my Adobe ID. I don't use collections and can't test the ability to sync with LR5 on my Mac, but I'm able to import photos from the Camera Roll and edit them just fine.

Edit: maybe it's just a 30 day trial...NVM.

The intial version on release is free for 30 days. That's why you and all of us with an Adobe ID can download and use it for 30 days.

notastockpikr
431 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 09, 2014 05:01 |  #35

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16820444 (external link)
I'm pretty pumped that LR Mobile is out, but that said, it's not usable for me yet.

My current workflow is to write raw's to my CF card and jpg's to my Eye-Fi (SD). The Eye-Fi sync's the jpg's to the Photosmith app on my iPad while I shoot. Then in Photosmith I use star ratings and color labels on the images I shot. Then when I get home I import the raw's into LR, then do a wireless metadata-only sync from Photosmith on the iPad to LR on my desktop: it matches my ratings and labels with the master raw's and I'm off to the races. I can instantly start editing my selects without having to do any culling on the desktop.

So the problem with LR Mobile is that it only syncs FROM LR desktop. That's the exact opposite of what I need; I never sync in that direction. I need wireless tether import to LR Mobile, and then be able to sync from Mobile to desktop. So until that happens it's a non-starter. Photosmith currently has a much better workflow and richer feature set.

BUT...I envision a future where I will one day be able to wireless tether to LR Mobile then cull on the iPad. My ratings and labels would sync to Adobe's cloud, then I get home, import the raw's into LR, then my ratings and labels automatically sync from the cloud and match up to the original raw's. I've gotta believe that's on Adobe's radar and it's gonna rock when it happens.

This is exactly why I'm going to wait on LR Mobile. It's opposite to my workflow as well.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2014 06:06 |  #36

notastockpikr wrote in post #16819053 (external link)
I don't know anymore than anyone else reading this forum.

Actually, we know that Adobe has specifically said that stand-alone Lr is here on a "perpetual" licence basis going forward.

Adobe's Tom Hogarty is on record as saying that Adobe has:

no plans to make Lightroom subscription-only at any point in the future

You can choose to ignore this, or spin it away, but what we know is that Lr is going to be available stand-alone on an ongoing basis.

And that's not a prediction.

notastockpikr
431 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 09, 2014 06:23 |  #37

Keith R wrote in post #16820830 (external link)
Actually, we know that Adobe has specifically said that stand-alone Lr is here on a "perpetual" licence basis going forward.

Adobe's Tom Hogarty is on record as saying that Adobe has:
You can choose to ignore this, or spin it away, but what we know is that Lr is going to be available stand-alone on an ongoing basis.

And that's not a prediction.

Good to know......

As I stated, my comments are ....my opinions. Take my opinion on the future plans of Lr and Adobe whatever way you like.

Have a nice day......

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2014 06:47 |  #38

dave_bass5 wrote in post #16820687 (external link)
I know a couple of people (at least a couple) that still run pirated PS CC, but I know quite a few more that gave up on doing this and now use the legit Photography Package.
For them the price was right, and the hassle was a lot less.

Sounds like a pretty small sample. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable saying that it's been reduced based on a handful of people.

Likewise, when an police officer arrests someone for possession of a drug, it doesn't mean that they've reduced the amount available on the street... because you don't know how many other people have just brought more. There is no way of knowing the latter.

I know more people today who are using pirated copies, simply because I know more photographers. And as much as I hate to say it, more of those working photographers are using pirated copies that I ever thought. So, if you are saying that less are doing it, and I know more... has pirating Ps been reduced or is it staying the same?

Frankly, I'm just waiting for Lr6 to be released, so I can make another purchase :) I'm still using Lr3.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2014 08:32 |  #39

drvnbysound wrote in post #16820873 (external link)
Frankly, I'm just waiting for Lr6 to be released, so I can make another purchase :) I'm still using Lr3.

+1 I'm eagerly waiting too.
I'm on LR4 (3-4 was a big improvement in image quality... so you should be pleased when we jump to 6.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

dave_bass5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2014 09:03 |  #40

Sounds like a pretty small sample. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable saying that it's been reduced based on a handful of people.

Likewise, when an police officer arrests someone for possession of a drug, it doesn't mean that they've reduced the amount available on the street... because you don't know how many other people have just brought more. There is no way of knowing the latter.

I know more people today who are using pirated copies, simply because I know more photographers. And as much as I hate to say it, more of those working photographers are using pirated copies that I ever thought. So, if you are saying that less are doing it, and I know more... has pirating Ps been reduced or is it staying the same?

Im not trying to make it sound like the national average or a global trend, im just stating what i have seen amongst my circle of friends, and only for PS CC. As far as PSCS6 goes i dont know of anyone that has actually paid for it for home use.
With CC there is more involved, but there are also benefits to paying for it. I think Adobe did a good thing doing the Photography package.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 09, 2014 09:33 |  #41

Do you know anyone who WAS using a legit version of an Adobe product who is now using a pirated version of CC?

I keep an eye on summaries of torrent traffic from a few sources as part of work, and Photoshop usually makes it onto the lists of major traffic. It has however in the last few months been dropping in numbers I've seen. I think it is fairly safe to say that the subscription model and vastly reduced upfront cost is really a hit with many people who would normally have not swallowed the full ticket price in the past.

However, CC isn't about reducing piracy by forcing people to use it. It is no harder to pirate than CS6 was. It does however fight it in the proper and logical way: Offering a better service and value than dodgy download sties can. Odds of getting a virus off Adobe? Exceptionally low (Not impossible, but rather improbable.) Odds of getting one off some random website with lots of flashy gifs and ads for other dodgy sites? Rather high.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2014 19:14 |  #42

Luckless wrote in post #16821123 (external link)
Do you know anyone who WAS using a legit version of an Adobe product who is now using a pirated version of CC?

1) I don't know anyone [personally], other than myself (CS5), who was using a legit version before CC.
2) I know more people today [personally] who are using pirated copies than before CC was released.

I keep an eye on summaries of torrent traffic from a few sources as part of work, and Photoshop usually makes it onto the lists of major traffic. It has however in the last few months been dropping in numbers I've seen. I think it is fairly safe to say that the subscription model and vastly reduced upfront cost is really a hit with many people who would normally have not swallowed the full ticket price in the past.

However, CC isn't about reducing piracy by forcing people to use it. It is no harder to pirate than CS6 was. It does however fight it in the proper and logical way: Offering a better service and value than dodgy download sties can. Odds of getting a virus off Adobe? Exceptionally low (Not impossible, but rather improbable.) Odds of getting one off some random website with lots of flashy gifs and ads for other dodgy sites? Rather high.

That's something that many people fail to understand.

I work with a lot of technical people who are paid pretty well. Many of them are hobbiest photographers [Some who do it as a side business], and I've had CC discussions with most of them. I haven't found one yet who is willing to pay the monthly cost, including those who are advertised photographers.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,917 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 09, 2014 19:33 |  #43

I'm paying the monthly cost, and my previous version of PS was a hack. There go the averages. :)

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 09, 2014 20:29 |  #44

For $120 a year you can get legit and up to date versions of PS and LR. This is a pittance compared to a new lens or body and certainly provides the ability to improve an image at least as much. If they raise the price significantly then it will be a different discussion but for now I think it is a no brainer.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 09, 2014 20:37 |  #45

TTuna Eye wrote in post #16822517 (external link)
For $120 a year you can get legit and up to date versions of PS and LR. This is a pittance compared to a new lens or body and certainly provides the ability to improve an image at least as much. If they raise the price significantly then it will be a different discussion but for now I think it is a no brainer.

This.

$120/yr gets you nearly $1000 worth of software. It's incredibly difficult for someone already spending thousands on camera gear to put together a sensible argument against that.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

sponsored links

11,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe LR mobile just came out, as did LR 5.4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.