Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for feedback on photojournalism portfolio

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 08, 2014 14:06 |  #1

My goal for this set it to have 20 solid images that will show a newspaper photo editor that I will be a good fit for the team as a photojournalist.

I would like to get your opinion on what images are the best and worst. What type of images are missing. What is lacking. What is in excess.

Right now I have 18 images but will be adding more during the day today.

http://kurtrivers.phot​oshelter.com …tOtfXPHM/C0000d​ZdzRHyVoM4 (external link)

Thanks!

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2014 14:16 |  #2

It's a very nice set. My only thoughts here are that the photo entitled sunset shows you can do landscape, but its not really a features page sort of shot. It won't hurt to be in there but if you have an image limit its one that might go, or be replaced. If I were you I'd try to find some more hard news images, sometimes they are mundane but occasionally you are assigned to report from the city council chambers or perhaps a fire.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 08, 2014 14:52 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with Gonzo. 18 and 17 look like stock shots, and I would get rid of them in favor of editorial shots instead.

TriExposure (external link)

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 08, 2014 15:09 as a reply to  @ catclaw's post |  #4

I recently had a discussion with one of my photography instructors. His background is very "pure" photojournalism. He's of the opinion that every photo should have a person in it, even it if it a landscape shot. He would want to see a person in your sunset shot.

I don't agree with his views. But, I'm wondering if most photojournalists, and people who hired photojournalists, are looking for people in all images?

I'm not loving images 10 and 11. Not having a context for either of them they hold no interest for me. Maybe slightly more descriptive titles could be used? In stead of just "Lawyer" maybe it could read "So-and-So's Defence Attorney," or reference the case in some way? Maybe the ACLU chap could be titled "Freedom Fighter" or similar?

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,255 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 08, 2014 15:55 |  #5

neacail wrote in post #16819435 (external link)
I recently had a discussion with one of my photography instructors. His background is very "pure" photojournalism. He's of the opinion that every photo should have a person in it, even it if it a landscape shot. He would want to see a person in your sunset shot.

I don't agree with his views. But, I'm wondering if most photojournalists, and people who hired photojournalists, are looking for people in all images?

I'm not loving images 10 and 11. Not having a context for either of them they hold no interest for me. Maybe slightly more descriptive titles could be used? In stead of just "Lawyer" maybe it could read "So-and-So's Defence Attorney," or reference the case in some way? Maybe the ACLU chap could be titled "Freedom Fighter" or similar?

Not to defend your instructor, but for PJ purposes there are very few images without people. And those that dont are often photo essays or special feature shots to show a given thing/place/time. As for the titles, I'm not sure why they are even there as they add nothing, even if you enhanced them as you suggest. The editor will look right past them to the strength of the image itself. The cutlines under photos in a paper are far more descriptive but they arent needed here.

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 08, 2014 16:05 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #16819562 (external link)
Not to defend your instructor, but for PJ purposes there are very few images without people.

Sorry. I should clarify: in the context we had the discussion in, I don't agree with his views. This isn't a PJ course, but it is being taught be a PJ instructor, which muddies things a bit.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Cozmocha
THREAD ­ STARTER
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 08, 2014 22:30 |  #7

Thanks for the advice! The titles on here are more just to have something on the page then just numbers but I did change those because I was not find of them to start out with.

I need to go through my drives again to find some more news images to replace 17 and 18.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2014 11:11 |  #8

Get rid of Tiger and Lambert. Those shots (regardless of who they are) are general stock shots and are not that impressive.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 09, 2014 14:31 |  #9

First of all, very impressive portfolio, good luck with your application! Maybe get rid of one of the space shuttles, no need to have two of them in there, imo. And nr. 13 probably needs to go too.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2014 14:40 |  #10

I think it is well done. The only way to improve is have more pj photos that are less about stock prints and more about storytelling in one photo. You can tell an entire news story through a photo. Congrats and best of luck!

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Cozmocha
THREAD ­ STARTER
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 10, 2014 09:16 |  #11

I have been looking around for more non sports storytelling images but not having too much luck. Right now I'm looking to cut 18 and maybe 4 or move it farther to the end.

Th landscape does stick out but not sure if it's a good or bad thing. This paper is really in to nature/wildlife stuff and always feature Florida scenery so I feel I need at least one like this.

-Kurt

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 10, 2014 09:22 |  #12

Remember who you target is. It's a newspaper and telling a story is more important than a decent action shot. With that being said, here's a quick breakdown.

1) I would crop tighter and put the car on the right third.

2) Good

3) Good, too bad there are no fans in the stands.

4) Good, but you may want to rethink having 2 shuttle pictures in one portfolio

5) Good

6) white shirt on bottom left is too distracting. May want to try cropping differently.

7) Good

8) Not a flattering shot. It's a stock shot though that doesn't really tell a story

9) Good use of patterns

10) Good

11) Good but I think it's cropped too tightly

12) Unflattering shot of Miranda. Plus the mic is covering part of her face.

13) Good (Not sure if a newspaper would care for a shot like this)

14) Decent shot

15) Good

16) Decent

17) Good

18) Decent

19) Decent

20) Good

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for feedback on photojournalism portfolio
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.