Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One advantage to college...

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 08, 2014 13:00 |  #1

So i am in college. Which means I am broke, and I buy all of my gear used and cheap as I can.

but as it turns out my college has an agreement with adobe, and I get photoshop and lightroom 5 free for a year. :cool:

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

sponsored links
Easy ­ Money
60 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 08, 2014 16:34 |  #2

Not really free since I take it you're paying a small fortune for tuition?

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 08, 2014 18:44 |  #3

$800 vs $30k +

hmm??

:p

Sevas Tra

venom3300
THREAD ­ STARTER
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 09, 2014 00:22 |  #4

ok well I'm paying tuition anyway. would you rather pay tuition and have it or tuition and not have it? lol

Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 09, 2014 15:04 |  #5

OP,

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully this will help other students out too.

Bryan

My Gear List

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 09, 2014 17:19 |  #6

Well, someone is paying for that "free" software.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,901 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 10, 2014 08:35 |  #7

Tedder wrote in post #16822225 (external link)
Well, someone is paying for that "free" software.

not necessarily. In fact I kinda doubt the school, or anyone is paying for it. Assuming there is virtually zero cost involved with the download of the software.

Adobe has taken a page from illicit drug pushers around the world who give the first dose for free, just to get you hooked. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

lilkngster
722 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 10, 2014 08:53 |  #8

Adobe, apple, budwiser, the bank, the restaurant that offers a student discount, etc etc etc. They are all in the same game. The earlier they can get you to use their stuff, the more likely you will, after you graduate, are making money, and no longer receiving a discount, continue to use it.

Apple donated macs galore to my high school. I would guess the majority of us 20 years later still use them and have "paid" back their investment many many many times over.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 10, 2014 12:08 |  #9

hes gone wrote in post #16823391 (external link)
=he's gone;16823391]not necessarily. In fact I kinda doubt the school, or anyone is paying for it. Assuming there is virtually zero cost involved with the download of the software.

Adobe has taken a page from illicit drug pushers around the world who give the first dose for free, just to get you hooked. :D

That's a good point. Still, someone has to plant and harvest the coca, grind it to powder, and transport and distribute it before it can be presented "free" to some users.

Although I've never received free samples, I suppose I qualify as an addict myself. I've bought more than one Mac and more than one version of Photoshop.

Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 10, 2014 12:24 |  #10

lilkngster wrote in post #16823450 (external link)
Adobe, apple, budwiser, the bank, the restaurant that offers a student discount, etc etc etc. They are all in the same game. The earlier they can get you to use their stuff, the more likely you will, after you graduate, are making money, and no longer receiving a discount, continue to use it.

Apple donated macs galore to my high school. I would guess the majority of us 20 years later still use them and have "paid" back their investment many many many times over.

That reminds me how some photographers use a similar tactic, giving their images away (or volunteering as second shooter) in hopes of earning money from their efforts later on.

Supposedly that's bad practice in the photography world … unless it works. :)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 10, 2014 12:55 |  #11

It's definitely a marketing tactic, but if you're a student that qualifies, it certainly is a great deal!

Bryan

My Gear List

venom3300
THREAD ­ STARTER
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 10, 2014 12:59 |  #12

I agree with the above statements about marketing. And honestly it will probably work, as I am really enjoying lightroom. Took me little time to figure out and its powerful...

sponsored links

1,250 views & 0 likes for this thread
One advantage to college...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.