Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Apr 2014 (Monday) 20:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone tagged their gear as reminders?

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 11, 2014 06:57 |  #46

Just turn the dial to the green box. It'll solve all your problems for you since clearly photography is hard...

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,946 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 11, 2014 07:06 |  #47

Talley wrote in post #16821172 (external link)
I tag my lenses like this all the time but not for the shutter speed.

See below

A clip from Bruce Almighty immediately comes to mind!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 11, 2014 07:22 |  #48

ian_socool wrote in post #16817286 (external link)
Today I was shooting with my Non OS 50-150. I had the camera at 1/60 and had a lot of shake shots. I turned it back to 1/100 for some reason, don't remember why, but this is the minimum I can hand hold at ISO1600-up indoors depending on the lighting.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mTdh​xd  (external link)

Opening a thread like this... You were destined to get ripped apart !!

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 11, 2014 08:16 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

vengence wrote in post #16825785 (external link)
Just turn the dial to the green box. It'll solve all your problems for you since clearly photography is hard...

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! I laughed so hard when I read this, my sides and back started to hurt and I started to cry from laughing.

TriExposure (external link)

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2014 09:37 |  #50

catclaw wrote in post #16825915 (external link)
HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! I laughed so hard when I read this, my sides and back started to hurt and I started to cry from laughing.

CatClaw, Really, please. I can take the humor of the thread as I can dish it out. And truth be told, I WOULD shoot in Auto No Flash if need be. I will quote a wedding photographer whose seminar I was in a few weeks ago, there is a reason why there is a green box on a 5DMKIII.

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2014 09:42 |  #51

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16825821 (external link)
Opening a thread like this... You were destined to get ripped apart !!

It was a question. I CAN shoot LOL. I was in a press conference and I forgot to change settings, thats all, thats why I asked if anyone else did it. And people are wondering about asthetics? Thats a small strip of gaffers tape. It is not going to leave residue. Lenscoats look worst to me.
This was the event:
http://ianlynphotograp​hy.pixieset.com …roundbreaking/p​/17687849/ (external link)

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 11, 2014 19:10 |  #52

Talley wrote in post #16821172 (external link)
I tag my lenses like this all the time but not for the shutter speed.

See below

:lol::lol::lol: this was awesome, love the sponsored by visa note. Funny.

I am so ADHD I would have the tape on and still forget to change settings.

Nothing is worse than when I snap a few in small jpeg to get on a CPU for a fast email at work or something and forget to switch back to raw when done or start again:mad:

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,313 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 11, 2014 19:39 as a reply to  @ Nick3434's post |  #53

Ok, perhaps a bit unusual, but if it works for you then why not.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 11, 2014 21:56 |  #54

ian_socool wrote in post #16826104 (external link)
It was a question. I CAN shoot LOL. I was in a press conference and I forgot to change settings, thats all, thats why I asked if anyone else did it. And people are wondering about asthetics? Thats a small strip of gaffers tape. It is not going to leave residue. Lenscoats look worst to me.
This was the event:
http://ianlynphotograp​hy.pixieset.com …roundbreaking/p​/17687849/ (external link)

I think it's less of an aesthetics thing but more like looking unprofessional showing up to a press conference, or any events in that matter, with notes all over your gear.

A better alternative would be a quarterback arm band. I've used this in several weddings and comes in handy; just stuff a 'to shoot list' and names of important guests in there and you're set. I can imagine it would be more useful heaving camera settings hidden in there than taped all over your lens hoods... plus it looks pretty badass

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/t9ktIEN.jpg?1

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2014 22:23 |  #55

Nick3434 wrote in post #16827242 (external link)
:lol::lol::lol: this was awesome, love the sponsored by visa note. Funny.

I am so ADHD I would have the tape on and still forget to change settings.

Nothing is worse than when I snap a few in small jpeg to get on a CPU for a fast email at work or something and forget to switch back to raw when done or start again:mad:

That happend to me a few weeks ago. I swear I want to write (remember to switch to raw) on my LCD LOL.

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 11, 2014 22:24 |  #56

panicatnabisco wrote in post #16827503 (external link)
I think it's less of an aesthetics thing but more like looking unprofessional showing up to a press conference, or any events in that matter, with notes all over your gear.

A better alternative would be a quarterback arm band. I've used this in several weddings and comes in handy; just stuff a 'to shoot list' and names of important guests in there and you're set. I can imagine it would be more useful heaving camera settings hidden in there than taped all over your lens hoods... plus it looks pretty badass

QUOTED IMAGE

Thats Brill

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,313 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 12, 2014 02:20 |  #57

panicatnabisco wrote in post #16827503 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

This arm band looks nerdsville. Why not store this info in a smartphone?

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 12, 2014 03:56 |  #58

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #16827807 (external link)
This arm band looks nerdsville. Why not store this info in a smartphone?

A) To read off a smart phone you have to dig it out, unlock it, and possibly open the file

B) If a client sees you constantly fiddling with your phone the assumption is that you're goofing off checking your messages. (Actually a small form factor tablet is probably a better option in this case if you do need/want to use digital. Nexus 7, iPad Mini, or other more pocketable-but-clearly-not-a-phone like device.)

C) Paper doesn't become unreadable after being accidentally dropped onto rocks or hard surfaces.

D) Paper responds to and recovers from water or other water related fluids far better than electronics do.

E) It is hard to forget to recharge the battery in paper, or have a charging failure the night before. (I plugged my phone in, the icon came on, and then I put it down on the night stand. No idea why it was still only at half battery the next morning...)

You could also keep a simple note pad in your pocket if something on the arm is too 'nerdy' for you.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

jack_dorsey
280 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 12, 2014 06:18 |  #59

Yes! I use magic marker lines on my 100-400l to indicate the position that I like to use for the locking ring while shooting. I really don't care what other people do!

Jack
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon SL1, 430EX II, EFS 18-55 IS STM, EFS 55-250 IS STM, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, EF 85mm 1.8, EF 100-400mm L II, Canon 1.4 III teleconverter

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,946 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 12, 2014 06:30 |  #60

Luckless wrote in post #16827864 (external link)
A) To read off a smart phone you have to dig it out, unlock it, and possibly open the file

B) If a client sees you constantly fiddling with your phone the assumption is that you're goofing off checking your messages. (Actually a small form factor tablet is probably a better option in this case if you do need/want to use digital. Nexus 7, iPad Mini, or other more pocketable-but-clearly-not-a-phone like device.)

C) Paper doesn't become unreadable after being accidentally dropped onto rocks or hard surfaces.

D) Paper responds to and recovers from water or other water related fluids far better than electronics do.

E) It is hard to forget to recharge the battery in paper, or have a charging failure the night before. (I plugged my phone in, the icon came on, and then I put it down on the night stand. No idea why it was still only at half battery the next morning...)

You could also keep a simple note pad in your pocket if something on the arm is too 'nerdy' for you.

I would like to counter with other points.

1) If you do things during a shoot like showing a customer photos on a phone or tablet, you have it out anyways.

2) There is no file to open, you just switch tasks to the app in question. Part of the preparation for a shoot would be to unlock the tools you are going to use so there are no unlocking. I have a Pebble smartwatch that has an app that auto-unlocks my tablet or phone while it is in proximity, and that has really helped. And no I am not young at all, let's just say the moon landing was in my lifetime.

3) If your phone or app cannot stay charged for an 8-10 hour period, it might be time to look for another.

4) If you shoot young people, pulling out a notepad to look over things and check things off just doesn't quite give the confidence to the kids.

5) Obviously what you shoot and for whom matters in decisions like this, for some cases, a techno solution is better.

My point is that a phone or tablet most likely is already integrated into your day to day shooting activity (unless you are really old-school), so having an app with various lists, DOF calculators, etc is very handy. My wife walks with the kids parents when I do a shoot, and as I take pictures, I "protect" the photos I like best, and they wirelessly transmit to her, and they all review it while I continue the shoot. Very cool, the parents love it, and I can have other things on that tablet like checklists, suggestions, samples, etc.

The 7" Nexus first gen is still a spectacular tablet even in today's standards, and you can pick one up for $100 or less sometimes. It is a nice dedicated tool, and with the proper wifi tools, you can even show pics during the shoot to your customer. You can even tether them to your photo bag, put a nice rugged case around them, etc.

Now back to this particular issue for this thread, if you aren't able to watch all your settings, be aware what lens you have on and at what focal length, etc, I am not quite sure that having a piece of tape on the lens reminding you of one setting to use is going to be useful. If you know exposure, you know what results you want, and you are cognizant of your equipment, there is no need for reminders, you just manage 4 settings: focal length, shutter, aperture, ISO, and then you just operate the focus and shoot operations. One shutter speed or one checklist item on tape on a lens isn't very useful?

How about just remembering the handholding guideline of "shoot a shutter speed of 1/<focal length"? If I have a 150mm lens on a crop body, then it becomes easy to figure out shutter speed. No tape needed... :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links

7,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone tagged their gear as reminders?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.