Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 10 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 08:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 11, 2014 14:00 |  #46

What's obvious about it?

The only thing obvious is that Canon files are nowhere near as detailed as identical shots taken using the same lens on a Nikon or Sony camera. With the D7200, you'll see the details on a bird's feathers. With the 7D, you'll see the feather, but the fine details are all smeared together. With a D800e, you'll see hints of a sand dune's texture; with a 5D3, you'll just see yellow.

sponsored links
nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 11, 2014 15:58 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

Billginthekeys wrote in post #16823634 (external link)
Funny, I was just going to make a thread like this. It seems like every other camera company is releasing amazing new things every day at every trade show, and Canon still has the same sad stuff on the shelf from three years ago at the same prices... a least for their enthusiast and professional market.

It cracks me up that they seem more concerned about making sure everyone is charging the same amount for their outdated equipment then actually releasing something new people would be willing to buy at retail prices. I had hoped that by now a 1DX would at least run $5,500 new, but no.

One has to wonder if their silence means they have really gone back to the drawing board to come up with a new camera to put them back at the top of the game, or have they just given up?

I have given up on Canon (atleast for now).... they haven't made anything impressive in a very long time.

edit... I do like threats like this... more and more Canon users are becoming aware...

Gear List

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 11, 2014 16:59 |  #48

Shadowblade wrote in post #16826698 (external link)
What's obvious about it?

join a local photography club or at family gatherings (some have Nikons !) or bring an SD memory card into BB, Target, etc. and use their cameras

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 11, 2014 21:48 |  #49

watt100 wrote in post #16827044 (external link)
join a local photography club or at family gatherings (some have Nikons !) or bring an SD memory card into BB, Target, etc. and use their cameras

I own both.

The newer Sony/Nikon sensors produce far better images than their Canon equivalents. Fine details on the A7r and NEX-7 are sharp and clear. Fine details on the 7D are nonexistent, while, on the 5D3, they're blurred and lacking in local contrast. And that's while using the same (Canon) lens, where Canon should have the advantage!

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 11, 2014 22:32 |  #50

Shadowblade wrote in post #16827492 (external link)
I own both.

The newer Sony/Nikon sensors produce far better images than their Canon equivalents. Fine details on the A7r and NEX-7 are sharp and clear. Fine details on the 7D are nonexistent, while, on the 5D3, they're blurred and lacking in local contrast. And that's while using the same (Canon) lens, where Canon should have the advantage!

Though I don't own any Sony or Nikon gear, based on the samples I've seen I think you're being a bit sensationalist. The a7R to the 7D is hardly a fair comparison - one is a new full-frame camera, the other is a crop sensor at the end of its product life cycle. 5D3 or 6D vs. a7R would be much more appropriate. Like everyone else on this thread I'm upset that Canon is still rehashing cameras based on a five year old sensor. The new Rebels are a joke, and the lack of a 7D Mk. II is inexcusable. Honestly though, the difference in detail rendering between a 6D and D610 sensor is minuscule.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

madjack
Goldmember
1,970 posts
Gallery: 179 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 11, 2014 22:45 as a reply to  @ jt354's post |  #51

I'm just going to concentrate on producing better photos instead of getting into the got to have the latest gadget.

When I start outperforming my equipment I might have a valid gripe against Canon, but until then I'll strive to make my stuff as good as the amazing pictures I see some of the photographers here produce.

The way I see it, I got a long way to go, so I'm going to be saving a lot of money. :)

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 11, 2014 22:53 |  #52

Makes me wonder why I have so much gear...

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 11, 2014 22:54 |  #53

madjack wrote in post #16827585 (external link)
I'm just going to concentrate on producing better photos instead of getting into the got to have the latest gadget.

When I start outperforming my equipment I might have a valid gripe against Canon, but until then I'll strive to make my stuff as good as the amazing pictures I see some of the photographers here produce.

The way I see it, I got a long way to go, so I'm going to be saving a lot of money. :)

The idea of photographer aptitude/talent being a bottleneck to improvements in sensor/lens technology is a bit myopic, at least for anyone beyond a clueless soccer mom who lives in in P mode. It's tiring how often these statements come up here, because that's just not how the world works.

In reality, the quality of any given image is a function of many things -- photographer aptitude, sensor tech, lens quality, and lighting conditions among them. Any photographer with an ounce of experience and knowledge is capable of taking advantage of improvements in the other variables on a regular basis, though perhaps not for every shot.

I just think most everyone here who uses phrases like "it's the photographer, not the camera," or "I'm not good enough to justify full-frame," are selling themselves short. Let's not kid ourselves: picking up a DSLR, choosing settings that are fairly close to optimal for the shot, and pressing the shutter button is not rocket science. Most of us are fairly good at it. Composition and seeking out good photos are more challenging prospects, but they have little to do with whether IQ improvements are beneficial to your photography.

All this is to say: Canon's lame sensor tech is probably holding many people back more than they realize, or are willing to admit to themselves after investing big bucks in the system.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,533 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2014 23:43 |  #54

I own both.

Would you post some samples? I'm curious to see what the difference really is between them.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 12, 2014 04:00 |  #55

I own both.

I've used both Nikon and Canon crop models and the pics (in RAW and processed) from the Nikon were inferior to the Canon but the choice of lens matters. But really anyone can compare - join a local photography club (they will share lens and cameras - it's fun!) or use relatives and friends cameras or go to a store with your memory card (Best Buy, Target, etc.)

and here's a free RAW converter that works on all models
http://toolson.net/Raw​Converter (external link)

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2014 04:56 |  #56

The newer Sony/Nikon sensors produce far better images than their Canon equivalents.

Hyperbolic, unsupportable nonsense.

Fine details on the 7D are nonexistent, while, on the 5D3, they're blurred and lacking in local contrast.

Learn how to use them, then.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2014 07:59 |  #57

brettjrob wrote in post #16827596 (external link)
The idea of photographer aptitude/talent being a bottleneck to improvements in sensor/lens technology is a bit myopic, at least for anyone beyond a clueless soccer mom who lives in in P mode. It's tiring how often these statements come up here, because that's just not how the world works.

In reality, the quality of any given image is a function of many things -- photographer aptitude, sensor tech, lens quality, and lighting conditions among them. Any photographer with an ounce of experience and knowledge is capable of taking advantage of improvements in the other variables on a regular basis, though perhaps not for every shot.

I just think most everyone here who uses phrases like "it's the photographer, not the camera," or "I'm not good enough to justify full-frame," are selling themselves short. Let's not kid ourselves: picking up a DSLR, choosing settings that are fairly close to optimal for the shot, and pressing the shutter button is not rocket science. Most of us are fairly good at it. Composition and seeking out good photos are more challenging prospects, but they have little to do with whether IQ improvements are beneficial to your photography.

All this is to say: Canon's lame sensor tech is probably holding many people back more than they realize, or are willing to admit to themselves after investing big bucks in the system.

Plus one.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2014 08:04 |  #58

Keith R wrote in post #16827915 (external link)
Hyperbolic, unsupportable nonsense.

Learn how to use them, then.

I think Shadow is expressing his opinion based on DR/shadow recovery in post. Nikon sensors do this much better. Not even Canon's top end FF sensors have this capability. For high ISO it's pretty much a wash.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2014 08:06 |  #59

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16826915 (external link)
I have given up on Canon (atleast for now).... they haven't made anything impressive in a very long time.

edit... I do like threats like this... more and more Canon users are becoming aware...

Agreed on your last statement. :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 12, 2014 08:44 |  #60

jt354 wrote in post #16827569 (external link)
Though I don't own any Sony or Nikon gear, based on the samples I've seen I think you're being a bit sensationalist. The a7R to the 7D is hardly a fair comparison - one is a new full-frame camera, the other is a crop sensor at the end of its product life cycle. 5D3 or 6D vs. a7R would be much more appropriate. Like everyone else on this thread I'm upset that Canon is still rehashing cameras based on a five year old sensor. The new Rebels are a joke, and the lack of a 7D Mk. II is inexcusable. Honestly though, the difference in detail rendering between a 6D and D610 sensor is minuscule.

I never compared the A7r to the 7D. I compared the A7r/D800/D800e to the 5D3, and the D7000/7100/7200/NEX-7 to the 7D (which, although old, is still Canon's top crop camera).

I agree that 6D and D610 are very similar. But you're comparing Canon's best full-frame sensor (in terms of low-ISO IQ, it's better than both the 5D3 and 1Dx) against Nikon's worst.

sponsored links

7,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.