Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tampa/St Pete - 100-400 L $800

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2014 08:54 |  #1

Just saw this on CL, and it looks like a heckuva deal.http://tampa.craigslis​t.org/pnl/pho/44160642​80.html (external link)

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2014 09:35 |  #2

Tempting. The seller mentioned shipping, that makes it suspicious. Maybe too good to be true.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 10, 2014 10:06 |  #3

Why do people get nervous with shipping on craigslist? How is that any different from this forum?

As long as you make sure you pay standard paypal, better yet to backup with a CC... You should be protected, no?

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2014 10:07 |  #4

I think he's just desperate. It is a local number, and he's willing to meet.

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 10, 2014 12:12 |  #5

Invertalon wrote in post #16823606 (external link)
Why do people get nervous with shipping on craigslist? How is that any different from this forum?

There are two primary reasons:

1) Craigslist is swimming with scammers. Sure, there are a few here on POTN, but their numbers are dramatically less since it takes some real effort to become established here.

2) Here on POTN, if you're diligent and research someone's post history and conversations, you stand a good chance at determining if they are an actual photographer or not. This can greatly reduce the odds of encountering a scammer, probably to less than 1%.

I said I would never ever ship an item that I sold through Craigslist, but on one occasion, I did break my own rule. It was at a time when the 5D MIII was hard to get and there were no deals to be had. A guy contacted me and I said, sorry, local deals only. He pressed again and gave me a lot of information about himself. He worked part-time for a University newspaper and allowed for me to confirm that. He had a website with good presence. And he even offered up a video chat just so I could physically see that he was real and not pretending to be someone else. All in all, it didn't take too much effort to verify who he was...but he made me a lot more comfortable in the transaction. Anyway, this is one example of a situation in which I shipped via Craigslist...but it's not something I will normally do.

It's all about reducing your exposure to risk.

Bryan

My Gear List

oahumike
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 10, 2014 12:39 |  #6

bps wrote in post #16823911 (external link)
There are two primary reasons:

1) Craigslist is swimming with scammers. Sure, there are a few here on POTN, but their numbers are dramatically less since it takes some real effort to become established here.

2) Here on POTN, if you're diligent and research someone's post history and conversations, you stand a good chance at determining if they are an actual photographer or not. This can greatly reduce the odds of encountering a scammer, probably to less than 1%.

I said I would never ever ship an item that I sold through Craigslist, but on one occasion, I did break my own rule. It was at a time when the 5D MIII was hard to get and there were no deals to be had. A guy contacted me and I said, sorry, local deals only. He pressed again and gave me a lot of information about himself. He worked part-time for a University newspaper and allowed for me to confirm that. He had a website with good presence. And he even offered up a video chat just so I could physically see that he was real and not pretending to be someone else. All in all, it didn't take too much effort to verify who he was...but he made me a lot more comfortable in the transaction. Anyway, this is one example of a situation in which I shipped via Craigslist...but it's not something I will normally do.

It's all about reducing your exposure to risk.

Bryan

I always thought I wouldn't trade lenses due to the horror stories on this site. But thanks to Kirk, I would do it again (still with verification first).

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 10, 2014 12:43 |  #7

IMO this is no scam. If you are local and need this lens go for it.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 10, 2014 13:00 |  #8

alpha_1976 wrote in post #16823984 (external link)
IMO this is no scam. If you are local and need this lens go for it.

Absolutely. If you're local, I would contact the person, use due diligence in seeing if they're real and meet in a safe location. (All things you should do anytime you're buying something via Craigslist.) And perhaps land an outstanding deal on a very good lens!

Bryan

My Gear List

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 10, 2014 22:18 |  #9

A couple of days ago Boston Craigslist had this lens for $350. Just for fun, I contacted the guy, and he said that it was already sold, but that I could buy more on some weird (I looked) website, and that he bought three! I think it was all done with the purpose of directing people to that site.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 10, 2014 22:46 |  #10

Lbsimon wrote in post #16825201 (external link)
A couple of days ago Boston Craigslist had this lens for $350. Just for fun, I contacted the guy, and he said that it was already sold, but that I could buy more on some weird (I looked) website, and that he bought three! I think it was all done with the purpose of directing people to that site.

Same picture?

Bryan

My Gear List

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 11, 2014 01:53 |  #11

Looks like it was/is a scam. Here's a follow up post from someone who tried to buy it: http://tampa.craigslis​t.org/pnl/pho/44173984​76.html (external link)

BEWARE Cannon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 - $800 - $800 (ST PETE)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

ALL I KNOW TXT PERSON AFTER TRYIN TO CALL WENT TO SOME GLOBAL THING VOICE MAIL TXT FOR A WHILE HAD DEAL GOING ASKED IF WANTED TO MEET OR PAYPAL I SAID MEET TRIED TO GET A TIME SAID AFTER WORK BUT SAYS OUT OF WORK IN ADD??????????????? THEN FINELY WROTE BACK SAID I TXT TO MUCH HAD CASH AND TXT TO MUCH TO MAKE MEETING GET REAL ..HERE IS THE KICKER A GUY CALLED ME BACK LATER THAT NITE ASKED WHY I CALLED WAS DIFF NUMBER THEN CALLED AND TXT SAME KINDA AREA SAID HAD NO LENS AND THAT WAS ONLY CALLS I MADE THAT DAY???ADD ALL THIS TOGETHER THERE IS SOMETHING NOT RIGHT DEF DO NOT DO PAYPAL YOU BEEN WARNED

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 11, 2014 07:32 |  #12

As is almost always the case, if it's too good to be true, then it's too good to be true!

Bryan

My Gear List

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,531 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 11, 2014 07:48 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #13

I wouldn't believe anything the responder 2 posts up said either, he sounds like a loon.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 12, 2014 15:15 |  #14

Verified paypal email - mrssmith@gmail.com (external link)? Yeah. Google it. I doubt it.

sponsored links

1,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tampa/St Pete - 100-400 L $800
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.