Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Apr 2014 (Saturday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need a new Laptop but which one?

Angela-Benita
56 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 12, 2014 10:59 |  #1

Hi,

my Laptop is about to die and I need a new one. The last three laptops I had were Sony Vaios but I'm not very happy with the quality.

How many GB should I get with all the pictures? I will use an external hard drive but I also like to keep pictures on my Laptop to have them on hand.

How much RAM? is 4 ok? Or should it be 6 since I'm using photoshop, Lightroom and usually browse with a million windows open?! lol

Not sure if Acer, Dell or HP would be the best fit for me. Any ideas? I think regarding size I would not like to go over 16". It also doesn't matter if it's a regular Laptop or not but the ones you can flip the display over and use it as a tablet are kinda cool :)

PS: I don't really want to spend over $1000 since they usually don't last longer than 3 years.

I'm thankful for any ideas

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 12, 2014 13:37 |  #2

Angela-Benita wrote in post #16828347 (external link)
Hi,

my Laptop is about to die and I need a new one. The last three laptops I had were Sony Vaios but I'm not very happy with the quality.

How many GB should I get with all the pictures? I will use an external hard drive but I also like to keep pictures on my Laptop to have them on hand.

How much RAM? is 4 ok? Or should it be 6 since I'm using photoshop, Lightroom and usually browse with a million windows open?! lol

Not sure if Acer, Dell or HP would be the best fit for me. Any ideas? I think regarding size I would not like to go over 16". It also doesn't matter if it's a regular Laptop or not but the ones you can flip the display over and use it as a tablet are kinda cool :)

PS: I don't really want to spend over $1000 since they usually don't last longer than 3 years.

I'm thankful for any ideas

Go with 8GB (with expansion room for another 8, in the future). 120-240/256GB SSD is a must now, in a laptop.

Kel
Gear

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 12, 2014 13:59 |  #3

There are several ways to go with this.

In terms of overall quality, reliability and support, an Apple Macbook Pro 15 with Retina (external link) display is the winner. But once you configure one with at least 512GB of internal storage and 3YR Applecare service and support, it will cost 2.5X your budget. The primary benefits are a the MacOS user interface and reliability, and a nationwide network of Apple Stores for walk-in support.

On the Windows side, the leaders in quality, reliability and support are Lenovo and Dell. You should stick with an Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU. I would avoid Acer, as all the models I've used from this manufacturer performed poorly (and I just recently set one up for my father). Also, I would avoid HP, except perhaps the Probook series, as they are flimsy. Although I have two 5-year old HP Probooks that we still use on occasion, I've had to replace keyboards, touchpads, HDDs and one LCD.

The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (external link) series with i7 processor and 4YR phone support and in-home service is within your price range, and the touch-screen version (external link) (suggested for using Windows 8) is just slightly over. The Lenovo Y510p is with 24GB SSD (external link) cache and dedicated NVidia graphics processor/memory is also a good choice, though with 3YR service and support (depot service only) it will run you closer to $1,300.

There are also Core i5-based laptops from Lenovo and Dell that are a few hundred dollars less expensive. The i5 processor also consumes less power so the laptop will run longer on battery. And, from a practical standpoint, you will probably not notice much difference in performance between the i5 and i7 with the applications you use. What you are more likely to notice is the quality of the hardware wrapped around the processor, as i7 laptops are generally the premium line-up. This is the main reason why I normally go with i7 vs i5 CPU.

I have never had good experiences with AMD-based systems. Though I'm pretty sure that's not the CPU's fault, it seems the overall components wrapped around the CPU are cheap and unreliable to save cost, because price seems to be the motivation for choosing a non-Intel CPU.

Of all of these options, I would favor the Lenovo even though it exceeds your budget because of it's dedicated graphics processor and memory, the 24GB SSD, and my experience with them being well built and reliable. I feel this would give me the longest useful life. And, unless you are comfortable identifying and replacing failed hardware components on your own, certainly get the manufacturer's extra 3YR or 4YR service and support.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Angela-Benita
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 12, 2014 16:19 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #4

Thank you guys. I'll check out some of the suggestions. I'm not a big Apple fan when it comes to Laptops. I have an Iphone and an Ipad just to surf the web on the couch but for pictures etc I can't stand Apple products.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 14, 2014 00:35 |  #5

Make sure you get USB 3.0 interface on the computer, and on your external disk. Ideally get a full sized computer so you can use internal disks. SSD is near essential for photo processing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 14, 2014 10:32 |  #6

I would say minimum would be i5 either 3rd or 4th gen.

If you are getting a laptop that allows you to change the RAM and HD then go with that. Don't worry too much since you can swap those out overtime but make sure it had 2 slots for RAM.

If you want a ultrabook then 8GB ram and at least 256 SSD.

I would try to go for a 1600x900 or higher.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

dbs_jd
727 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 03, 2014 11:21 |  #7

I don't know if you like HP, but I had the HP Envy 17t-3200 CTO last year and I loved it. It was not so thin as a Ultrabook, but it was powerful. It came with 10GB of RAM, 500GB and I added a 100GB SSD where I had Windows, Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere installed. It also had a 1GB AMD 6850 HD graphic card. Also the screen was 1920 x 1080p. I bought it last year for $800.

I suggest you this one: Asus Q550LF-BBI7T07, you can find it for less than $700 on eBay. A friend of mine has it and she looooves it.

I hope I helped :).

Gripped bad boi Canon XT, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 135mm f/2 L, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art || Sony A7R CZ 55mm f/1.8 FE, Batis 25mm f/2, Sony 30mm f/3.5 Macro

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 05, 2014 18:00 |  #8

My vote is for Dell. I've had an Inspiron 1720 refurbished for 4 years now. Been dropped, and tested to it's limits. Now I'm working with raw images I find it's 250 gb hdd small and it's 3 gb ram (whopping at the time) not enough. I get Lr memory errors, but not in elements. So 8 gb ram, 1tb hdd and an Ssd if you can afford it. Reliability has been 2nd to none.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 05, 2014 19:00 |  #9

I went with an HP dm4 which is a tra doing laptop so it's small. 13" monitor but I have an external 27" monitor I hook it up too.

Spec wise out of the box is 3rd gen i5, 500gb HD, 4GB ram. At that time the 3rd gen i5 just came out.

Now its 8GB ram with 480GB SSD. I would do it all over again for a 4th gen but I don't have the budget for it. Also a 1600x900 which was good for two years ago.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need a new Laptop but which one?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.