Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Apr 2014 (Saturday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon TC-80N3 Help

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 12, 2014 12:11 |  #1

Hey everyone,

I have a Canon 5D Mark III which I'm using the TC-80N3 with. I'll be shooting moonbows at Yosemite this Monday, and needless to say I need to figure out how to work this thing.

I rented it from BorrowLenses and found the manual online, but I can't seem to still understand how the timer function works. Perhaps I'm simply not understanding how it works, but from what I remember, I should be able to set it to 30 seconds, and the moment I hit start, it opens the shutter until 30 and then releases it, correct?

Or is the timer just there for me to look at to know when to release the shutter?

Also is there any warnings of when the battery is getting low by chance? I know you can't shut it off, so I want to make sure it's going to last all day, being I have no idea how young the battery is.

Thanks!

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,435 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 12, 2014 19:07 |  #2

The key part of Canon's description of the device is the "Remote Controller is a programmable electronic shutter release." So it is the device that releases the shutter. The shutter speed, be it 1/1000 sec or 10 seconds, is set within the camera.

The manual can be intimidating. Check the Canon TC-80N3 QuickGuide at http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …LC_TC-80N3_QuickGuide.pdf (external link). It's 2 pages and offers a good starting point.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 12, 2014 19:49 |  #3

I haven't used mine for a long time and likely never will again since I have DSRL controller and ML but...from what I remember it has a timer for how long to wait before actuating shutter from when you hit start, how long to leave shutter open if shooting in bulb, how long to wait before next shot(if set to >1-99 shots) and how many shots to do(up to 99).

I'm not sure if it has a low battery warning since the only time I knew my battery was low was when I went to use it and it was already dead(it uses the same battery as a few other things I have and I keep the spares in my camera bag in case I want use sometime again and it's dead).

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 12, 2014 22:18 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16829174 (external link)
I haven't used mine for a long time and likely never will again since I have DSRL controller and ML but...from what I remember it has a timer for how long to wait before actuating shutter from when you hit start, how long to leave shutter open if shooting in bulb, how long to wait before next shot(if set to >1-99 shots) and how many shots to do(up to 99).

I'm not sure if it has a low battery warning since the only time I knew my battery was low was when I went to use it and it was already dead(it uses the same battery as a few other things I have and I keep the spares in my camera bag in case I want use sometime again and it's dead).

Yeah, I always thought it was a bit of an afterthought of an accessory. I own one too.

TriExposure (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 13, 2014 01:03 |  #5

ShutterAttack,

Hopefully this doesn't make you feel bad...but in the future, rather then renting one for $25 and having to send it back, just buy one like this (external link) for $32.75 and then you can use it forever. Intervalometers pretty much work the same and this is an area in which expensive is not necessarily better.

Bryan

My Gear List

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 13, 2014 01:29 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

bps wrote in post #16829585 (external link)
ShutterAttack,

Hopefully this doesn't make you feel bad...but in the future, rather then renting one for $25 and having to send it back, just buy one like this (external link) for $32.75 and then you can use it forever. Intervalometers pretty much work the same and this is an area in which expensive is not necessarily better.

Bryan

Ahh, I hate the way Vivitar engineered it's plug. It always sits loose in the port, and I feel like I'm going to bend a pin.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,435 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 13, 2014 05:33 |  #7

Personally I like the Satechi for its versatility of being wireless up to 50 foot range. $60 at
http://www.amazon.com …-Compatible/dp/B004QDN2​ZC (external link). Note that URL is for the model used with a 5DIII.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 13, 2014 06:24 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

John from PA wrote in post #16829789 (external link)
Personally I like the Satechi for its versatility of being wireless up to 50 foot range. $60 at
http://www.amazon.com …-Compatible/dp/B004QDN2​ZC (external link). Note that URL is for the model used with a 5DIII.

Yes, I also have the Vello shutterboss as my backup intervalometer.

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 13, 2014 11:52 |  #9

Thanks for the information everyone.

Was able to actually figure it out last night messing around, at least how I wanted to do what I wanted to do. I definitely will look into the other ones you suggested to buy, didn't really like Canon's $120 price tag.

sponsored links

1,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon TC-80N3 Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.