Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reunited with an old friend

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 13, 2014 18:38 |  #1

My mum just came to stay for Easter, and she brought something with her that I was very excited to see....

My first ever DSLR - my 300D :D (original digital rebel for the US guys) It's 10 years old! :D I gave it to her when I upgraded to a 1Dmk2 back in 2005 / 2006 ish, but she never uses it, so I asked her to bring it back -- might as well sit with me and collect dust rather than with her.

It's amazingly basic compared to what I'm used to these days -- the screen is the size of a postage stamp. There's no servo focus mode -- one shot only (!) there's no flash exposure compensation. It takes FOREVER - like 10+ seconds to write a file to the card -- even though they're only 6.5MB. Oh yeah, it's 6MP btw :cool:

The viewfinder is like looking down a straw! :lol:

It's terrible in every way....

And yet, today I charged, it and took it out to the park with my daughter. Now, I only got 9 shots before the battery went flat -- clearly the years have not been kind to the battery -- yet I still managed to take this with it (using the crummy 18-55 kit lens). Not bad considering I only shot 9 frames...

IMAGE: http://photosoffrankie.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/crw_3190-sm.jpg

Maybe it really is the photographer not the camera after all -- I'm pretty happy with the shot. I really can't see me using the 300D -- it's just too painfully slow, but I can see me buying a rebel for when I can't be bothered to carry my 5D3.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 13, 2014 18:40 |  #2

Nice shot.

I charged up the old XT, my oldest daughter needed a dslr for a school camera course.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,999 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2014 04:32 |  #3

Those old BP511's do need to be rgularly cycled. I had to replace my 300D about two years ago as the AFsub mirror pin failed. I'm still using the original batteries in the 20D I replaced it with. A friend was going to try to fix the sub mirror for me. There's a guide on line, looks quite easy for someone with basic mechanical skills. I was then going to give it to my teenage daughter.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

alpine2306
243 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 14, 2014 07:23 |  #4

That is a great picture.
Treasure that one for sure.

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 14, 2014 07:27 |  #5

It's just a shame focus is slightly behind her -- I think her arms are sharper than her eyes.

I'd forgotten it doesn't have Servo focusing or I'd have been a bit more careful! I have my 5D set up ready to go for photographing a moving toddler, so I can put it out of my bag and basically just point and shoot. I didn't actually get enough time with the 300D before the batteries died to work out how to use it properly :lol:

It actually doesn't show in a 8x12" print, so guess It's not the end of the world.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

803 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reunited with an old friend
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.