Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 03:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash doesn't shows up in photos on 5Dmk2

GT-ti
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 28, 2012 23:51 |  #16

Thanks for help. Today made strange finding. Tried same thing with mine other Canon 420EX speedlight, everything is fine on both cameras, tried Nissin Di866 Pro - also perfect, tried 580EX II - mint.

What a hell with that one 420EX, which works perfectly on 50D, but fires too early on 5D Mark II? That "strange" 420EX is older than other normal working 420EX. Is it possible that it won't support 5D Mark II?

sponsored links
GT-ti
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 30, 2012 08:11 |  #17

Anybody? :[

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 30, 2012 11:32 |  #18

I would contact Canon.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 30, 2012 12:02 |  #19

GT-ti wrote in post #14777843 (external link)
Tried to clean contacts. test fired, saw only one flash... Used pocketwizards with those 420ex, but it works ok with Canon 50D ...

There was another poster, a few weeks ago, that had a problem with his FLASH TRIGGER not supporting a 5D3...Although it worked on his 5D2.

I don't remember which trigger he was using...But the fault was in the trigger's software.

Have you tried using the flash connected directly to the hotshoe?...I assume that you have, but thought that I'd throw this in just in case...Hope you get it working properly.:)

Mark

GT-ti
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 30, 2012 12:33 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #20

Yes, tried before postingi - direct shoe mounting - same issue ;[

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 31, 2012 02:22 |  #21

Think you may have a fault with the 420ex .I have the same probelm with one that I own ,will fire a pre flash only in ETTL on my digital cameras and the green confirmation light fails to light.
However it works a treat on my 1n and EOS-5 film bodies in TTL mode and the wee green light shows as it should.
I have tried all sorts to try to make it work on my digital bodies ,I can even trigger it with a 550ex and a ST-E2 but it will only give a pre flash as confirmed by taking a photo of the flash in a mirror
I have read of other people having the same issuse with the 420EX and the cure appears to be a new circuit board

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

GT-ti
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 31, 2012 04:51 |  #22

Thanks for constructive reply Steveod!

mdnmep
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 12, 2014 07:02 |  #23

I've landed to this thread looking for a solution to the same problem and I'm glad I can certainly provide some good information.

I had or still have the same "flash firing but still dark picture problem". But my situation was kind of different and couldn't read anything like it either here or anywhere else, here's the thing.

First I'll describe my equipment:

- Canon 60D
- 1 Canon 580EX II
- 3 YN565EX

I used to shoot with the pop up flash and have all my external flashes as slaves, responding to the pop up light beam and it was like many people says, even the flashes fires, the picture looked like there where no flash, now I could get it to work, noticing that it will only do if I keep the aperture in the minimum available by the lens, if I step it up just by one stop, I had no flash on my picture even they're actually firing up.

Now I'm pretty sure about this because I get to photograph the flash itself and I saw with my bear eyes that it fired, but in the picture appears completely off.

Even like this, sometimes it keep giving me the same problem, I was frustrated, tired of looking the net and not finding a solution. I was pretty convinced that it was a sync problem, for some reason the flash and shutter were unable to match. The problem is that I couldn't find a way to manually adjust the shutter speed on the flashes, and I stopped looking how to because I found a great alternative.

I had a Yongnuo RF-603 II unopened since bought it a week ago, and finally decided to try them and VOILA! It ALWAYS works! Now read me very well here, it always works! No matter which aperture, ISO, or shutter speed I choose, it always works! I was even surprised because it let me shoot with a shutter speed above 250 which Y'all know is the limit for flash use, and it works! I have FULL control of the image! I'm pretty sure about it, I got tired making tests, it worked always! I'm so excited I'm getting two more for my other flashes right away!

Now read me well, this is exactly why I believe that the previous issue is due to a flash firing too soon or late, you'll resolve the thing either you get them synchronized or you get a Yongnuo RF-603 II like I did.

Hope you guys the best and problems solved.

P.D: Even I'm voting for a sync issue, I'm intrigued that it only worked if I kept the APERTURE at minimum (no a single stop up), not the SHUTTER SPEED. Weird huh?

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2014 05:51 |  #24

I fixed my probelm, bought another 420EX and use the old one for my film cameras only.

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash doesn't shows up in photos on 5Dmk2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.