Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Apr 2014 (Monday) 09:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WIDE ANGLE CORRECTION

PEACHMAN
Cream of the Crop
5,134 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 14, 2014 09:05 |  #1

I am looking for software to correct wide angle correction on photos I took for advertising a house interior for a realtor. 19-20 sigma lens and the walls are dropping off and angling away to much.. any ideas/thoughts/have used befores?

The "eyes" have it !

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2014 09:20 |  #2

What software do you already have?
Can you post the image as an example?

Some types of perspective distortion can't be easily "corrected" since that's just the way things are. Things that are farther away will simply be smaller. This leads to the appearance in the photo where straight lines become curved - especially apparent on tile floors, and the top edges of interior walls.

There are many programs that will allow for keystone correction (which is what it sounds like you're describing). For busy interior shots, the results may not always look natural - so be careful. In the future, be mindful of your verticals when you're framing the shot.

http://www.photoshopes​sentials.com/photo-editing/keystoning/ (external link)

You may also be able to use a lens profile to do some corrections, though the lens profile won't fix keystoning or severe perspective distortion.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 14, 2014 09:22 |  #3

PhotoShop has a "lens correction" tool under the Filters button.

JIM

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 14, 2014 09:35 |  #4

Are the lines straight or is there also barrel distortion from the lens?

Elie / אלי

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,984 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 14, 2014 10:02 |  #5

There are dedicated applications that contain profiles for your camera+lens (for optical distortion) and then there are tools for correcting perspective distortion, like keystoning. DXO makes a plug/standalone called ViewPoint that does this, and will also correct for volume anamorphosis (edges of the image field not retaining their proportions). Photoshop/ACR/LR has lens correction that is profile based, as well as the "upright" tool, which will automagically correct for various perspective distortion (you can also revert to manual control as well). Photoshop also has the Adaptive Wide Angle filter which permits you to straighten and level curved lines that should, in the real world, be straight - distortion caused by wide angle optics.

If you shoot these scenes a lot and post production to achieve your image becomes overly time consuming, this lens is a must

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …istagon_T_15mm_​f_2_8.html (external link)

- it is expensive, but it is incredibly corrected for distortion, color and contrast.

Kirk

Kirk
---

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 14, 2014 10:06 |  #6

nathancarter wrote in post #16832390 (external link)
In the future, be mindful of your verticals when you're framing the shot.
http://www.photoshopes​sentials.com/photo-editing/keystoning/ (external link)

Good advice & link!
Generally, it's best to try to avoid keystoning before you take the shot.
When you're in close with your camera, you would need to keep the camera level, as in keep the back straight up/down. One way to do that for interiors is with a tape measure. Measure the distance of the lens from the floor & then point it at the opposite wall with the center focus point on that same height on the wall.
You might have to shoot a wider angle & then crop in later. Or you could try to shoot from farther away with a telephoto setting.

Failing that, here's another link: Perspective Correction In Photoshop – Repairing Keystoning

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

N2bnfunn
747 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2014 11:58 |  #7

Narwhal wrote in post #16832401 (external link)
PhotoShop has a "lens correction" tool under the Filters button.

You say it, that is what I was going to say and it working very well, use it in raw option.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2014 13:48 |  #8

Peachman, it's pretty important to know what software you are using! There are a few options, but they do require software!

You could also post a sample image!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,525 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 14, 2014 21:41 |  #9

Lightroom/Photoshop lens correction is good but wont fix tombstoning from a wide angle lens. However Lightroom 5 (and I assume the latest version of ACR in Photoshop) has a straighten tool designed specifically for this purpose.

This is an example from a shoot I did recently ....

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PwjmXilnI-A/UxCmjODWSFI/AAAAAAAAGoQ/K51vfdfvvCk/s800/DM852-2013-12-18-5675.jpg

Even better of course is to avoid the issue by using a tilt shift lens. Rented one yesterday and really like it. Sadly I don't think I can justify buying one yet.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

N2bnfunn
747 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 15, 2014 01:21 |  #10

So does Photoshop CC have that tool.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 15, 2014 02:52 |  #11

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16834544 (external link)
So does Photoshop CC have that tool.

Note that Dan mentioned the Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in. The CC install of Photoshop should include the latest version of ACR. If you're shooting Raw, ACR will open. If you're not shooting Raw, you would need to open it "explicitely" in Camera Raw via either Bridge or a Photoshop menu item.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,984 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 15, 2014 07:06 |  #12

Even better, PS CC has the Camera Raw filter in the filter menu.

Kirk

Kirk
---

PEACHMAN
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,134 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 15, 2014 15:22 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #13

Thank you all for the advise. I had been using PS7 nd not my newer version..Didn't know about that aspect of PS. It works well for what I am doing.. and I am going to look into all the other suggestions tonight! Thanks all!!

The "eyes" have it !

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 17, 2014 07:26 as a reply to  @ PEACHMAN's post |  #14

In Photoshop CC under Filter, Adaptive Wide Angle ... excellent.

Also from Imagetrends, "Fisheye-Hemi" software, about $30, good if your wide angle is really wide ...

http://www.imagetrends​inc.com/products/index​.asp (external link)

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

sponsored links

2,428 views & 0 likes for this thread
WIDE ANGLE CORRECTION
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.