Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of selling all of my gear for XT1

Gimpinator
74 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 06, 2014 12:19 |  #76

omegaone wrote in post #16812703 (external link)
Short review, I tried 56 f1.2 at the exhibition and after compared to my 85L, I'm not longer interested in 56 f1.2 anymore

worst "review" ever
bw!

sponsored links
Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 15, 2014 17:29 |  #77

There are many on here, myself included who are pro canon. Particularly AF Speed and accuracy.

Having tried Fuji also, I get a discount on them being an employee, I can lay testament to their image quality. Their technology certainly is original and getting good reviews. Lenses or lack of is a a bit of an issue. If the Fuji fits your niche as is, all well and good. I wouldn't slate their IQ.

Canon 6D IQ is also excellent by all accounts, not from experience.

The one area touched on earlier with Fuji is the lack of in your face big bad ass camera. It's discrete and unassuming and tends not to invoke the same reaction a large DSLR does. Excellent for street photography and its light for walking around. Fits in a handbag. Digital Rev like the XT1. I like Digital rev. His videos are pretty good and funny.

It definitely has plus's. Again it's up to the needs of the photographer.

Try before you buy is always good. Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Rezolution
786 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 15, 2014 19:51 |  #78

By the end of the year Fuji will have a great lineup (especially with the 2.8 zooms coming soon). However, Fuji really needs a good telephoto zoom (100-400 or similar). The 55-200 is a great lens but 200mm is just too short.

Fuji X-T1 I 10-24 I 23 I 35 I 56 I 18-55 I 55-200
Sony A7R MKII I 35 f1.4 I 55 f1.8 I 135 f1.8 I 16-35 f4 I 70-200 f4 I RX100 MKII I Elinchrom Quadra

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,564 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 15, 2014 20:08 |  #79

Rezolution wrote in post #16836840 (external link)
By the end of the year Fuji will have a great lineup (especially with the 2.8 zooms coming soon). However, Fuji really needs a good telephoto zoom (100-400 or similar). The 55-200 is a great lens but 200mm is just too short.

They're rumored to be coming out with a 85-300mm f/2.7-3.7 ;)

http://www.fujirumors.​com …m-lens-85-300mm-f2-7-3-7/ (external link)

How are you finding the X-T1's AF performance? I took my X-E1 into a museum on Sunday and got a little frustrated a couple of times, definitely has issues where my 6D wouldn't, wondering how much better the X-T1 is, I'd love to get my hands on one :)

I also surprisingly saw not one, but two A7 shooters and not a single Fuji shooter while in DC on Sunday. That's the first time I've seen anyone using one in the "wild", I don't see Fuji's often either, but I do see them.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 16, 2014 03:25 |  #80

Fuji have a smaller following of supporters. Those supporters ardently love their camera. IQ is going to be good. Often just some of the build quality can be suspect

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16836876 (external link)
They're rumored to be coming out with a 85-300mm f/2.7-3.7 ;)

Although that's better reach, I really feel they need to be addressing the constant F2.8 apertures at these speeds. I personally don't like lenses with apertures changing through the zoom range.

The one thing I think is evident from Fuji is they are committed to this line up. They will get better all the time. Not like the S5 pro days, which was a fantastic camera. Nikon F mount though so everybody bought Nikon lenses and Fuji don't get paid for that. They have at least made the right business decision of having their own proprietary lenses, which by all accounts are very good.

If they keep up what they're doing they will be a player of sorts, but let's face it, taking on Canon or Nikon is a big ask. They are an imaging company though, and they genuinely seem committed to photography in a way they haven't been in years.

I stick with Canon purely for the lens line up. I like the lenses they have and the ranges and apertures they have. They make good glass

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,564 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 16, 2014 06:42 |  #81

Candid wrote in post #16837504 (external link)
Fuji have a smaller following of supporters. Those supporters ardently love their camera. IQ is going to be good. Often just some of the build quality can be suspect

Although that's better reach, I really feel the need to be addressing the constant F2.8 apertures at these speeds. I personally don't like lenses with apertures changing through the zoom range.

The one thing I think is evident from Fuji is they are committed to this line up. They will get better all the time. Not like the S5 pro days, which was a fantastic camera. Nikon F mount though so everybody bought Nikon lenses and Fuji don't get paid for that. They have at least made the right business decision of having their own proprietary lenses, which by all accounts are very good.

If they keep up what they're doing they will be a player of sorts, but let's face it, taking on Canon or Nikon is a big ask. They are an imaging company though, and they genuinely seem committed to photography in a way they haven't been in years.

I stick with Canon purely for the lens line up. I like the lenses they have and the ranges and apertures they have. They make good glass

You say that as if Canon's 100-400L is constant aperture, or even 2.8... It's not. The fact of the matter is that every Fuji X mount lens is a very solid performer at a very fair price, even their cheap entry level lenses.

Do they have room to grow? Of course they do. And one of the things I love about their company is they tell you pretty much exactly what their plan is. They already have a 16-55/2.8 and 50-140/2.8 on their road map to be released this year.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 16, 2014 13:36 |  #82

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16837672 (external link)
You say that as if Canon's 100-400L is constant aperture, or even 2.8... It's not.

To be honest I don't see where any reference to the canon 100-400L has come from. I've certainly never mentioned it or made it out to be constant aperture, or even F2.8. On that note though, I wouldn't personally buy that lens. As mentioned, I don't like apertures varying through the zoom range. They could be F2.8, F4 whatever, as long as it's a constant. I like to know what I'm getting.

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16837672 (external link)
Do they have room to grow? Of course they do.

As I mentioned, Fuji are committed to this line up, and it will get better all the time. I'm not slating Fuji, I just feel there not quite where they need to be yet. IQ isn't an issue as I've said, but for me, it's their current lens sizes that don't appeal. To me that is.

I wouldn't rule out a Fuji camera, I just know I'll get what I want with a Canon. 6D, XT1 aren't too dissimilar in price. I personally would go with the Canon. Couple it with a 7D and I can do all styles of photography. Fuji don't have a 7D type performer, so I would currently be reluctant to spend my hard earned on good quality Fuji lenses (which they are), whilst losing out on some of the shooting flexibility I would get with Canon equipment

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,564 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 16, 2014 16:25 |  #83

Candid wrote in post #16838572 (external link)
To be honest I don't see where any reference to the canon 100-400L has come from. I've certainly never mentioned it or made it out to be constant aperture, or even F2.8. On that note though, I wouldn't personally buy that lens. As mentioned, I don't like apertures varying through the zoom range. They could be F2.8, F4 whatever, as long as it's a constant. I like to know what I'm getting.

As I mentioned, Fuji are committed to this line up, and it will get better all the time. I'm not slating Fuji, I just feel there not quite where they need to be yet. IQ isn't an issue as I've said, but for me, it's their current lens sizes that don't appeal. To me that is.

I wouldn't rule out a Fuji camera, I just know I'll get what I want with a Canon. 6D, XT1 aren't too dissimilar in price. I personally would go with the Canon. Couple it with a 7D and I can do all styles of photography. Fuji don't have a 7D type performer, so I would currently be reluctant to spend my hard earned on good quality Fuji lenses (which they are), whilst losing out on some of the shooting flexibility I would get with Canon equipment

I mis-understood what you meant when you quoted me saying they had a lens coming at the 400mm equivalent FL since you said it should be constant aperture... to which I was confused since the only Canon equivalent to that lens isn't constant aperture nor is it as fast. The only equivalent Canon lens that'll be anywhere near it's price is the 400mm f/5.6 which isn't as fast even at the slow end for the up-coming Fuji.

To me the issue with varying aperture makes no sense to me. If you don't like the aperture changing, set it to it's maximum aperture at the long end and keep shooting there, it's still effectively a f/3.7 constant aperture lens at that point. When I shoot manual with my 18-55mm I usually stop it down to f/4 if I need the constant aperture, it's never been an issue for me.

True that as of yet the Fuji AF system can't compete with a 7D or 5Diii, but give it a couple more years and I'd bet the difference would be minimal for most people's needs and the lenses will only get better.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Apr 16, 2014 16:35 |  #84

Had the same lustings and decided on a fuji x100s. Also because it has a fixed lens stopping me from buying more and more lenses hah !

Fuji is sure going a very damn right path if you ask me!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Myduc1098
684 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 16, 2014 16:54 |  #85

Do it. I am selling ALL my Canon gears right now because I am switching to Fujifilm X system completely. If you're into action photography then I wouldn't recommend it, but for landscaping or portrait... go for it, you won't regret (I won't).

Nikon Df, D810 - 50mm f1.8G Special Edition (Black), 14-24mm f2.8G, 85mm f1.4G, 200mm f2G VR II, 300mm f2.8G VR II
5D Mark IV - TS-E 17mm f4L, 14-24mm f2.8 ART, 50mm f1.4 ART, 105mm f1.4 ART
Fujifilm X100f, X-T2, X-H1 Grip, XF 10-24, XF 23 1.4. Sony A9 is calling my name.
Feedback

Myduc1098
684 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 16, 2014 16:58 |  #86

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16839053 (external link)
True that as of yet the Fuji AF system can't compete with a 7D or 5Diii, but give it a couple more years and I'd bet the difference would be minimal for most people's needs and the lenses will only get better.

Agree with you on this

Nikon Df, D810 - 50mm f1.8G Special Edition (Black), 14-24mm f2.8G, 85mm f1.4G, 200mm f2G VR II, 300mm f2.8G VR II
5D Mark IV - TS-E 17mm f4L, 14-24mm f2.8 ART, 50mm f1.4 ART, 105mm f1.4 ART
Fujifilm X100f, X-T2, X-H1 Grip, XF 10-24, XF 23 1.4. Sony A9 is calling my name.
Feedback

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 16, 2014 17:05 |  #87

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16839053 (external link)
I mis-understood what you meant

No Problem.

I really want to try one now, I do. The only thing is I do take a lot of sports shots. I don't have the 7D yet but will be replacing my ageing 30d within weeks for it.

Myduc1098 wrote in post #16839120 (external link)
but for landscaping or portrait... go for it, you won't regret

I do also love landscape and portrait. My heart says to get a 6D. But I did have an S5 Pro and I know what those Fuji colours are like. This is the tough decision.

As a previous poster mentioned Fuji is going the right path. I have said that also. I really do believe in what they're doing and they're doing a good job. They're in it for the long haul

To re-iterate, it IS a tough decision for me for the landscape, portrait. If I did the Fuji thing, I think it would be the XE2 with same sensor. I know the lenses are good.

Damn

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Apr 16, 2014 17:26 |  #88

Candid wrote in post #16839161 (external link)
No Problem.

I really want to try one now, I do. The only thing is I do take a lot of sports shots. I don't have the 7D yet but will be replacing my ageing 30d within weeks for it.

I do also love landscape and portrait. My heart says to get a 6D. But I did have an S5 Pro and I know what those Fuji colours are like. This is the tough decision.

As a previous poster mentioned Fuji is going the right path. I have said that also. I really do believe in what they're doing and they're doing a good job. They're in it for the long haul

To re-iterate, it IS a tough decision for me for the landscape, portrait. If I did the Fuji thing, I think it would be the XE2 with same sensor. I know the lenses are good.

Damn

I got more into landscape the last few month. Id all i have to say is that the 6D is a very good camera. Using it with a top of the line lens like the 24TSE or 17TSE or a zeiss 21 2.8 you will be more than satisfied

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Rezolution
786 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 16, 2014 17:26 |  #89

Here's a cool write up on the 56 1.2 compared to the 85L.

http://andrewvanbeek.c​om/fuji-vs-canon-lenses/ (external link)

Fuji X-T1 I 10-24 I 23 I 35 I 56 I 18-55 I 55-200
Sony A7R MKII I 35 f1.4 I 55 f1.8 I 135 f1.8 I 16-35 f4 I 70-200 f4 I RX100 MKII I Elinchrom Quadra

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 16, 2014 17:37 |  #90

Nice link.

He does rave about the Fuji IQ.

Have to say right enough that Canon F1.8 image against the brick wall is lovely DOF.

Don't get me wrong. The price difference between the kit is really quite marked.
Hands off to Fuji for value

sponsored links

12,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of selling all of my gear for XT1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.