Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,257 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 11, 2014 19:42 |  #16

My wife and family aren't really into photography, so I get little support for my hobby. They don't really complain, but I can tell that they're annoyed sometimes by how long a shot can take. I understand though. Their idea of photography is Instagram and selfies on Facebook using an iPhone, while mine is a pelican case full of photography and lighting gear. :p

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 13, 2014 11:07 |  #17

Simple solution:

Get the "complainer" a compact (or other decent) camera and tell them to shoot their own photos.
Once they see how huge the difference is, they start appreciating "real photography" more and will allow for the time required.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 13, 2014 18:49 |  #18

DetlevCM wrote in post #16830165 (external link)
Simple solution:

Get the "complainer" a compact (or other decent) camera and tell them to shoot their own photos.
Once they see how huge the difference is, they start appreciating "real photography" more and will allow for the time required.

Unfortunately, the trip we just went on, the complainer left his P&S at home and just used his iphone :rolleyes:

ETA: actually, it is the wife that took the pictures with the iphone, and he was still impatient with that! See what I am up against! My next big vacation, out west (Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier), will just be my hubby and I. I refuse to miss that photographic opportunity!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 13, 2014 19:00 as a reply to  @ post 16825864 |  #19

I'm another one that enjoys photography as a solitary activity. While my wife appreciates photography, and doesn't consciously rush me, I'm always prone to take more time setting up or waiting for just the right light/moment when I'm alone. More people just make it worse.

Oh, and she has absolutely no concept about trying to move quietly and being stealthy when shooting critters :lol: Drives me crazy. We went to a wetlands bird sanctuary, and she was kicking gravel as she walked, talking non-stop, and swatting at flies with a brochure. It would have been funny if not so irritating. I didn't mention it to her, because I didn't want to ruin her fun, but holy crap!

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 13, 2014 22:26 |  #20

Funny, up 'til recently, my "serious" photography has been "solo", getting out and roaming and shooting, and only occasionally having some kind of "outing" where the people would do their "thing" and I would do mine, sometimes doing some kind of "posed" thing, otherwise just taking pics of whatever was happening...

On the occasions when I would do something like a road trip or camping trip, I didn't try to do "serious" photography...if I saw a nice scene, I'd shoot it and have come back with some nice results, but I didn't bother to disrupt the flow of things to get something "special", even though sometimes I did get something because the subjects/scenes presented themselves to me! But the point is that my photography "went with the flow". Even when I've done some more focused shooting, like at an event or a sports occasion, if there is someone who I'm friends with or a family member, well, I'll just find a way to keep things in their "compartments"...

Recently something interesting has developed! Due to some life "developments", well, life has changed, including my photography activity. One of those changes has been the fact that I'm in a household of family members and my years of photography have gotten attention, and I've been "enlisted" in some outings with my camera, and specially including a household dog, and I've tried to get some good photos, but it can be pretty difficult when people are involved, trying to get good shots but having to juggle around lighting, and composition can be really tough when you are shooting an animal that's always on the move, and then having people who end up complaining about how they "look" in your photos, it can be a real juggling act!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 14, 2014 05:06 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

TeleFragger wrote in post #16826078 (external link)
my wife doesnt care.. always complains when i want to buy something for my camera so havent bought anything for a while. big fight recently as i got a nice bonus from work and she ends up getting our yearly vacation. I didnt see a dime of it..

so recently when we go out.. she will say hey there will be nice picture opportunities or nice scenery, etc..
when we get there she is like... Where is your camera? I hand her, her iphone and say.. yup 8mp is just fine for this... so been taking my camera out less and less. shame.. shame shame... :mad:

You have a nice 24-105 there. Try making videos, maybe she'll enjoy that idea more.

TriExposure (external link)

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 14, 2014 05:11 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Josh_30 wrote in post #16827293 (external link)
My wife and family aren't really into photography, so I get little support for my hobby. They don't really complain, but I can tell that they're annoyed sometimes by how long a shot can take. I understand though. Their idea of photography is Instagram and selfies on Facebook using an iPhone, while mine is a pelican case full of photography and lighting gear. :p

Ha. Stupid Instagram filters and Facebook selfies.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 14, 2014 05:12 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

LV Moose wrote in post #16831089 (external link)
I'm another one that enjoys photography as a solitary activity. While my wife appreciates photography, and doesn't consciously rush me, I'm always prone to take more time setting up or waiting for just the right light/moment when I'm alone. More people just make it worse.

Oh, and she has absolutely no concept about trying to move quietly and being stealthy when shooting critters :lol: Drives me crazy. We went to a wetlands bird sanctuary, and she was kicking gravel as she walked, talking non-stop, and swatting at flies with a brochure. It would have been funny if not so irritating. I didn't mention it to her, because I didn't want to ruin her fun, but holy crap!

Yeah you're right. If she was being a chatterbox then she was enjoying her time with you. Good not to bring it up.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2014 05:41 |  #24

sharod wrote in post #16831061 (external link)
Unfortunately, the trip we just went on, the complainer left his P&S at home and just used his iphone :rolleyes:

ETA: actually, it is the wife that took the pictures with the iphone, and he was still impatient with that! See what I am up against! My next big vacation, out west (Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier), will just be my hubby and I. I refuse to miss that photographic opportunity!

Oh dear...

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 14, 2014 05:52 |  #25

DetlevCM wrote in post #16832020 (external link)
Oh dear...

Exactly!!!

I love my friends dearly, I truly do. We have a great time together, except for this. And only the husband, not his wife. Heck, she would wait for me all day! And I am not talking taking excessive time for the perfect photo. This was on a cruise. Photos on the ship and while out on excursions. I am talking about taking an extra minute or so to find the best angle, lighting, waiting for people to clear. Not changing lenses, attaching a flash, waiting for the "perfect" light. And not all photos, just ones that look like I would like to hang on my wall.

And I am lucky that I have a husband that fully supports my love of photography. Of coarse, I support and help him when he installing new chrome or LED lighting on our Harley :D!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 14, 2014 20:06 |  #26

Completely ignore it.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …llegitimi_non_c​arborundum (external link)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 16, 2014 09:34 |  #27

This has become a family joke. There have been a lot of photographers on my side of the family, including some professionals. So all of us grew up with the idea of photography factoring into what we did and the smell of darkroom chemicals in the basement. To me, taking the time for a photo was natural.

On my first trip to Chicago I was still shooting film, so obviously I had to take a lot more care to get a shot "right" instead of firing off a few and keeping the ones I liked. I drove my sister in law (Chicago native) CRAZY!!! We'd be walking down the street and I'd have to stop and take a picture of something and she would be screaming at me (in the way only Chicagoans can) "Hey, Ansel f@#$ing Adams, will you hurry the hell up! What the hell are you taking pictures of, it's a damn BRIDGE, get over it."

Whenever my camera comes out around her the "Ansel F!@#ing Adams" stuff starts. We now have a system when I'm in the city with her that we agree on a meeting place and time and I do what I want to do and we just leap-frog around town that way.

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2014 10:55 |  #28

Love it!!!

bogeybrown wrote in post #16837994 (external link)
This has become a family joke. There have been a lot of photographers on my side of the family, including some professionals. So all of us grew up with the idea of photography factoring into what we did and the smell of darkroom chemicals in the basement. To me, taking the time for a photo was natural.

On my first trip to Chicago I was still shooting film, so obviously I had to take a lot more care to get a shot "right" instead of firing off a few and keeping the ones I liked. I drove my sister in law (Chicago native) CRAZY!!! We'd be walking down the street and I'd have to stop and take a picture of something and she would be screaming at me (in the way only Chicagoans can) "Hey, Ansel f@#$ing Adams, will you hurry the hell up! What the hell are you taking pictures of, it's a damn BRIDGE, get over it."

Whenever my camera comes out around her the "Ansel F!@#ing Adams" stuff starts. We now have a system when I'm in the city with her that we agree on a meeting place and time and I do what I want to do and we just leap-frog around town that way.

BUT, it is said in a tone that is dripping with love ;):lol:

Sharon

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 16, 2014 11:21 |  #29

bogeybrown wrote in post #16837994 (external link)

sharod wrote in post #16838205 (external link)
BUT, it is said in a tone that is dripping with love ;):lol:

Of course it is...NOT!

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2014 04:11 |  #30

I tend to have two modes when out shooting - the "I'm shooting for me so I will take as long as I like" mode and the " I'm with everyone else so I will just do enough to preserve the memory of the day".

Mode 1 - tends to be solo and I take all my gear, spend time looking at angles, wait for the light, take a number of different compositions.

Mode 2 - tends to be in a group (ie out sightseeing with friends) and photography is not the main purpose of the trip. I worry less about taking the perfect shot (probably take the G10 instead of the 50D+lenses) and simply enjoy the day. If I get a good shot its a bonus but I am more intent on enjoying the company and scenery than blocking it out to take a photograph. Its all to easy to focus on the photography and miss out on a great day.

Occasionally the two do coincide and I get a great day out shooting with my friends and relatives.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links

6,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.