Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Apr 2014 (Monday) 02:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cost to get lens serviced. 70-200 MK II

Six6Sicks
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 14, 2014 02:26 |  #1

Has anyone sent in their 70-200 MKII, or other lenses, in to Canon for a check up? I feel my has gone soft on me and I want to send it in to get checked, tweaked, tuned....etc.
I emailed Canon regarding the cost and I was basically told to just send it in for an estimate and they'll advise the cost.

I'm afraid to spend the money to ship it if the cost to "tweak" it is going to be astronomical. It's not broken or anything, just not dead nuts sharp as day 1.

In my email I also asked them the cost of fixing my T3i grip which has basically just came off in less than 2 years of use and they want $192.00.
Uhhhh, no.

So I'm just wondering if anyone could share their costs and overall experience. Was it worth it?

Thanks.

Gear: Yes.
Insert stupid photography quote here to make me more of a photographer.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,391 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 14, 2014 06:44 |  #2

You can go to https://www.usa.canon.​com …yCode=onlineRep​airLanding (external link) and input your pertinent lens info and get an estimate.

Also, as a benchmark, the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1008822 shows that someone in 2010 paid $168 labor +$18 shipping for a good going over of the 100-400mm lens.

Six6Sicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 14, 2014 11:04 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #16832101 (external link)
You can go to https://www.usa.canon.​com …yCode=onlineRep​airLanding (external link) and input your pertinent lens info and get an estimate.

Also, as a benchmark, the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1008822 shows that someone in 2010 paid $168 labor +$18 shipping for a good going over of the 100-400mm lens.

Fantastic. Thanks!

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 14, 2014 11:07 |  #4

I would estimate $200 for optical adjustment. Let us know when you find out!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Six6Sicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 14, 2014 11:29 |  #5

Invertalon wrote in post #16832664 (external link)
I would estimate $200 for optical adjustment. Let us know when you find out!

Ugggh. That is a number I was not looking forward to seeing. Hoping it's under $100. I'm filling out everything now and am going to send it in and see what they say.

Might have to shell out the $$ though since taking images of still objects @ f/11 is not nailing it like it used to.

triciatakespics
25 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 14, 2014 11:30 |  #6

If you're a member of CPS then your clean and checks are typically free

basselmudarris
223 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2014 11:37 |  #7

You can see the different servicing Canon offers on cameras and lenses here (external link).

If I recall correctly, the lens servicing is about $129. With that being said, I'd highly recommend looking into CPS rather than paying the $129 for the service. CPS Gold is $100 per year and allows for 5 cleanings of a camera or lens. There's also many other perks you get for the $100, including 20% of repairs, equipment loans, and a few goodies you initially get upon signing up. The CPS strap you receive can be sold for $40-50, offsetting the cost even more. You can see all the info about CPS here (external link).

ahender
80 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2014 11:59 as a reply to  @ basselmudarris's post |  #8

Don't you have to be a full-time imaging professional or work for an imaging business to join?

basselmudarris
223 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2014 12:05 |  #9

ahender wrote in post #16832797 (external link)
Don't you have to be a full-time imaging professional or work for an imaging business to join?

Technically yes, but it isn't something they enforce as far as I'm aware, at least in the US. As long as you have enough gear to qualify and pay the $100, you can reap the benefits.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,391 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 15, 2014 06:10 |  #10

The magic words "As long as you have enough gear to qualify..." can be a stumbling block for many individuals that are not in the professional league. Go to http://www.cps.usa.can​on.com/about_cps/about​.shtml (external link) for the details and list of qualifying equipment.

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2014 08:22 |  #11

A friend had her 70-200 f/2.8 IS ver. 1 serviced this spring. Cost was $400 for general checkup, cleaning, calibration, etc. plus a part that had to be replaced. The lens was had stopped focusing properly.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 16, 2014 12:27 |  #12

i took my 24-70 to jamesburg center yesterday. all in, i paid $308 ($269 for out of warranty service, $14 fedex shipping, plus tax). i was shocked, more so because i was told that i am paying this regardless of what they find wrong with the lens, if anything!!!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Six6Sicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2014 22:05 |  #13

Weird, canon told me I can send it in to get looked at and they would advise the costs, if I didn't choose to have it serviced they would return it at no cost.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 16, 2014 22:28 |  #14

triciatakespics wrote in post #16832717 (external link)
If you're a member of CPS then your clean and checks are typically free

Clean and checks don't open up the lens. It's just an external cleaning and overview.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 16, 2014 22:39 |  #15

Six6Sicks wrote in post #16832713 (external link)
Ugggh. That is a number I was not looking forward to seeing. Hoping it's under $100. I'm filling out everything now and am going to send it in and see what they say.

Might have to shell out the $$ though since taking images of still objects @ f/11 is not nailing it like it used to.

less than 100 for a certified tech to disassemble your lens for an adjustment would be a steal,it would be minimum of 1 hour prob 2 and i kinda bet canon is over 100 an hour for that type of work,probably a flat rate and i doubt they do anything for less than 100,

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cost to get lens serviced. 70-200 MK II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.