Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

important - quick help needed

lighthunteralp
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 16, 2014 15:19 |  #1

Hi guys,
I have a quick question because my time is limited for decision. I have a 70-200 2.8 ii lens and I use it everywhere. For taking much more better portraits with a wider aperture, I've bought 85L 1.2 ii just a week ago. I have faced with some focusing problems and sharpness issues at 1.2 and now the new Sigma 50mm ART is coming very soon. I've talked with the dealer that I've bought 85L 1.2 ii and he confirmed to take it back with a little less price. I can give the 85L 1.2 ii to him and take 700-800 USD more and also get Sigma 50 art when it comes. By this way, I can do portraits with 70-200 2.8 ii and Sigma 50 1.4 Art.
I have to decide until morning, either give back the 85L 1.2 ii to him or continue living with 85 1.2 ii. If you were me, what would you do?
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is made in 2014 and Canon 85L 1.2 made in 2006. Does it worth to pay more and stay with 85L 1.2 ii :( ? I want to give it back but on the other hand, it is called as a dream lens and I am questioning myself if I am doing something wrong? I am really confused and need a professional hand to decide :( Edit: I am on 5D Mark iii
Thanks!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,729 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 16, 2014 15:22 |  #2

What camera do you use? For full frame I would prefer the 85, whether its the 85L, or the sigma 85. On a crop body then the 50 is a nice portrait length. On FF the 50 is too wide for traditional portraiture because of perspective distortion.

lighthunteralp
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 16, 2014 15:25 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #16838855 (external link)
What camera do you use? For full frame I would prefer the 85, whether its the 85L, or the sigma 85. On a crop body then the 50 is a nice portrait length. On FF the 50 is too wide for traditional portraiture because of perspective distortion.

5D Mark iii

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,729 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 16, 2014 15:27 |  #4

ruzgar344 wrote in post #16838865 (external link)
5D Mark iii

Personally a 50 on a full frame body is a lens without a job. It's not long enough for traditional portraiture, not wide enough to do environmental work. By all accounts its a nice lens, but I dont use that focal length much.

lighthunteralp
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 16, 2014 15:41 |  #5

I see... thnx... Need some help from 85L ii users :(

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,729 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 16, 2014 15:47 |  #6

ruzgar344 wrote in post #16838919 (external link)
I see... thnx... Need some help from 85L ii users :(

I'm told there is a learning curve with that lens. 1.2 is not for the faint of heart.

lighthunteralp
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 16, 2014 16:22 |  #7

any other ideas on this?

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 16, 2014 16:37 |  #8

shooting at 1.2 is difficult. Yo have to be rock solid. Perfect your technique.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Gallery: 245 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 16, 2014 16:37 |  #9

ruzgar344 wrote in post #16839040 (external link)
any other ideas on this?

That weren't already discussed in the other thread? Not really. You seem to be looking for someone to tell you that the gear is the problem - it's not. You've already bought one of the premier lenses for the task at hand - feel free to throw $200 out the window because you can't nail a shot @ f/1.2, but in your position, I'd practice and learn how to use it.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

lighthunteralp
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 16, 2014 16:59 |  #10

WhyFi wrote in post #16839090 (external link)
That weren't already discussed in the other thread? Not really. You seem to be looking for someone to tell you that the gear is the problem - it's not. You've already bought one of the premier lenses for the task at hand - feel free to throw $200 out the window because you can't nail a shot @ f/1.2, but in your position, I'd practice and learn how to use it.

thanks a lot! So that I now decided to keep my 85L ii and force myself to learn it. I may look for some tips & techniques sheets, docs or videos maybe?

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 16, 2014 17:35 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #16838877 (external link)
Personally a 50 on a full frame body is a lens without a job. It's not long enough for traditional portraiture, not wide enough to do environmental work. By all accounts its a nice lens, but I dont use that focal length much.

the thousands of photographers who have used a 50mm to produce amazing images throughout the years would probably disagree with you.

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 16, 2014 17:47 |  #12

I thought the same thing. 50mm focal length on 35mm film was the standard for decades.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 16, 2014 18:26 |  #13

ruzgar344 wrote in post #16839138 (external link)
thanks a lot! So that I now decided to keep my 85L ii and force myself to learn it. I may look for some tips & techniques sheets, docs or videos maybe?

Sure, but reading is only going to do so much, practice is going to be your best bet. Learn how to hold your body steady, learn to brace your arms against your body, if need be, pause your breathing while releasing the shutter, don't mash down on the shutter button. It's not hard, but may take practice if you're not used to shooting with big apertures.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

lighthunteralp
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 16, 2014 18:39 |  #14

WhyFi wrote in post #16839349 (external link)
Sure, but reading is only going to do so much, practice is going to be your best bet. Learn how to hold your body steady, learn to brace your arms against your body, if need be, pause your breathing while releasing the shutter, don't mash down on the shutter button. It's not hard, but may take practice if you're not used to shooting with big apertures.

I appreciate! Thank you..!! Maybe I should also speak with the pro ones who owns 85l f1.2 ii to learn it's tricks too...

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 16, 2014 19:35 |  #15

ruzgar344 wrote in post #16839387 (external link)
I appreciate! Thank you..!! Maybe I should also speak with the pro ones who owns 85l f1.2 ii to learn it's tricks too...

Sure, by all means... but what tricks? I learned how to be still and how to manage DoF before I ever touched an 85L - the first time I picked one up? I was fine. It's not some peculiar dragon that needs to be tamed. It's a lens. If you understand the relationship between subject framing, aperture and DoF, shooting it at 1.2 is not very much different than shooting with another FL lens at 1.4. Just practice.

sponsored links

1,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
important - quick help needed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.