Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 09:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tablet PC for photo editing

waylandcool
485 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 16, 2014 09:49 |  #1

I'm kicking around getting a tablet PC to replace my old 17" HP laptop. I would like to be able to run Lightroom on it so I can do some photo editing while on vacation or after some of the events I shoot. I'm not worried about storage (I always carry flash drives or external hard drives on me). My main concern is getting a processor that would run lightroom. Does anyone know if an Intel Atom processor will handle it or would I need to get an I3?

Adobe's website says a P4 is required but I'd like to get above that number as system requirements tend to be lower than what is really needed.

sponsored links
palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2014 12:21 |  #2

waylandcool wrote in post #16838025 (external link)
I'm kicking around getting a tablet PC to replace my old 17" HP laptop. I would like to be able to run Lightroom on it so I can do some photo editing while on vacation or after some of the events I shoot. I'm not worried about storage (I always carry flash drives or external hard drives on me). My main concern is getting a processor that would run lightroom. Does anyone know if an Intel Atom processor will handle it or would I need to get an I3?

Adobe's website says a P4 is required but I'd like to get above that number as system requirements tend to be lower than what is really needed.

Not sure what you are looking to spend but something like the Surface Pro would probably be ideal for you. You can get some good deals on the original surface pro vs the surface pro 2 if you look around, although you can get the pros 2 with 8GB of memory instead of 4.

I do have the v1 of the Pro and have used it on vacations etc. It is eseentially a tablet ultrabook

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 16, 2014 12:26 |  #3

Are you part of the CC? If so, Lightroom Mobile only works on iPads right now but you would be able to sync collections between your main PC and the iPad so any edits made on the iPad would be reflected on the PC. Sadly, it doesn't sync smart collections.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 16, 2014 12:31 |  #4

DGStinner wrote in post #16838386 (external link)
Are you part of the CC? If so, Lightroom Mobile only works on iPads right now but you would be able to sync collections between your main PC and the iPad so any edits made on the iPad would be reflected on the PC. Sadly, it doesn't sync smart collections.

This is a feature that I wait for with great anticipation... Other than that, if the OP is part of the CC, then LR mobile on a iPad with Retina, or some magical larger iPad that has been rumored, is a great platform to edit...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

patrick023
525 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 16, 2014 13:27 |  #5

After switching to Adobe CC I installed LR4 on a couple of tablets, a Surface Pro and a Dell Venue 8 Pro. They both have the power to run LR4 although importing and applying presets to a lot of RAW files at once is pretty slow, especially on the Dell Venue 8. Also, generating previews takes quite a bit longer as well, so I don't recommend 1:1 previews. :)

The Dell only has an 8" screen and to me, it's pretty tough to edit with. The Surface isn't too bad with a stylus, plus it has a mini HDMI output so you can always plug it into a larger monitor.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 16, 2014 15:15 |  #6

This might work, Samsung pro tablet 12.2 inch octa core processor. thinking about getting one to control camera with and do photo fixing too.
Display
Technology (Main Display) TFT
Size (Main Display) 12.2" (309.7 mm)
Resolution (Main Display) 2560 x 1600 (WQXGA)
Color Depth (Main Display) 16 M
S Pen Support No
Processor
CPU Speed 1.9 GHz Quad + 1.3 GHz Quad
CPU Type Octa-Core
General Information
Color Black
Memory
RAM Size (GB) 3 GB
ROM Size (GB) 32 GB
External Memory Support MicroSD (up to 64 GB)
usb3 port

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

waylandcool
THREAD ­ STARTER
485 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 16, 2014 15:39 |  #7

patrick023 wrote in post #16838550 (external link)
After switching to Adobe CC I installed LR4 on a couple of tablets, a Surface Pro and a Dell Venue 8 Pro. They both have the power to run LR4 although importing and applying presets to a lot of RAW files at once is pretty slow, especially on the Dell Venue 8. Also, generating previews takes quite a bit longer as well, so I don't recommend 1:1 previews. :)

The Dell only has an 8" screen and to me, it's pretty tough to edit with. The Surface isn't too bad with a stylus, plus it has a mini HDMI output so you can always plug it into a larger monitor.

The tablet is was looking at was the Dell Venue 11 Pro (64 GB) model. I got to play with one at work (I'm in IT) and I liked it alot. I agree that an 8 inch tablet would be a pain for editing on, I have a Google Nexus 7 which is fine for displaying pics or reading from but too small for actual work.

DGStinner wrote in post #16838386 (external link)

I am a CC member. I'm waiting for the Android version of Mobile to come out since I am currently have an Android phone and tablet.

palmor wrote in post #16838374 (external link)
Not sure what you are looking to spend but something like the Surface Pro would probably be ideal for you. You can get some good deals on the original surface pro vs the surface pro 2 if you look around, although you can get the pros 2 with 8GB of memory instead of 4.

I do have the v1 of the Pro and have used it on vacations etc. It is eseentially a tablet ultrabook

Right now, I am in the "what specs do I need stage". Once I figure out what I need, I'll start figuring out my budget. The Surface tablets are nice but I think they are overpriced at retail compared to other models. If I find a deal on one, I'd consider it.

ericcrazyman wrote in post #16838825 (external link)
This might work, Samsung pro tablet 12.2 inch octa core processor. thinking about getting one to control camera with and do photo fixing too.
Display
S Pen Support No
Processor
CPU Type Octa-Core
General Information
Color Black
Memory
RAM Size (GB) 3 GB
ROM Size (GB) 32 GB
usb3 port

That sounds interesing. I'll have to check it out.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2014 18:36 |  #8

ericcrazyman wrote in post #16838825 (external link)
Display
S Pen Support No
Processor
CPU Type Octa-Core
General Information
Color Black
Memory
RAM Size (GB) 3 GB
ROM Size (GB) 32 GB
usb3 port

That's an Android tablet so no LR or Photoshop.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 16, 2014 20:23 |  #9

I use Photoshop Touch a little so I thought LR and photo shop also could be had for android. I just had a chat with Adobe and they said they will never be released for android. I asked about a deal with apple and adobe about android and the guy would not answer. So I figure Apple is forcing everyone to get their products for mobile work. Could be wrong.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 17, 2014 03:10 |  #10

For Lightroom you need an i5/i7 processor. Most tablets are really underpowered for that sort of work, a hybrid might do it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 17, 2014 07:57 |  #11

Has anyone tried using an ASUS Transformer Book T100 with LR or even any of the Windows 8.1 photo editing/slideshow apps?

http://www.asus.com …us-transformer-book-t100/ (external link)

~Dan
Facebook Page (external link)

waylandcool
THREAD ­ STARTER
485 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 17, 2014 16:17 |  #12

I checked out the specs on that T100 and for that price it's pretty nice. It's comparable to the Venue I was looking at, just $100.00 less.My only concern is the size of the drive. One model has a 64GB SSD and one has a 32GB SSD with a 500GB drive built into the keyboard/dock. I'd lean towards the 64GB model if I could get the 500GB dock for it.

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 17, 2014 16:24 |  #13

It has a micro sd slot so you can add 64gb to it easily. I don't think the 500gb is in the keyboard as i have seen it in the stores. It also has a USB 3.0 port in the keyboard. So you can run any size external HDD. Storage isn't really my concern. Just wondering is the Processing power will be enough. I was running Lr3 in an old netbook. It was slow but tolerable for travel

*edit* I just saw that there is a third model, ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-H1-GR that has the 500gb HDD in the dock. I was looking at the T100TA-C1-GR with the 64GB and the T100TA-B1-GR that has 32gb

~Dan

waylandcool
THREAD ­ STARTER
485 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 17, 2014 16:47 |  #14

I'll have to see what footprint LR leaves on my PC at home. It's running a 128GB SSD and I have a decent amount of room with 3 or 4 Adobe apps and Office 2013 Professional Plus installed. As far as the processor, as long as LR is usable and not locking up, I'll be fine. I do most of my heavy lifting at home on the PC built for it.

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 17, 2014 16:52 |  #15

waylandcool wrote in post #16841821 (external link)
I'll have to see what footprint LR leaves on my PC at home. It's running a 128GB SSD and I have a decent amount of room with 3 or 4 Adobe apps and Office 2013 Professional Plus installed. As far as the processor, as long as LR is usable and not locking up, I'll be fine. I do most of my heavy lifting at home on the PC built for it.

The program itself requires 2gb of space. The catalogs are another story. I would use an external for that.

~Dan

sponsored links

6,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tablet PC for photo editing
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.