Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 12 Apr 2014 (Saturday) 15:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Renowned Photographer Jeff Mitchum's Masterpiece "Third Day" Sells For $1.8 Million

this thread is locked
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,323 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 09:20 |  #61

Shadowblade wrote in post #16840664 (external link)
The commentary only matters if the work itself is aesthetically pleasing.

Aesthetically pleasing to whom? There is an entire world out there beyond Rembrandt lighting and the RoTs. :lol:

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 09:20 |  #62

Shadowblade wrote in post #16840664 (external link)
The commentary only matters if the work itself is aesthetically pleasing.

If I don't like the picture, I don't care what message (if any) the artist was trying to convey.

I really don't know where to go from here, except to say that you're missing out on a world of experience by basing everything on aesthetics.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,323 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 09:21 |  #63

There is nothing more dangerous to art and creativity than a closed mind...

airfrogusmc
36,323 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 09:32 |  #64

We should all be happy that photography is fetching the prices that were once only reserved for painting.

Oh thought I'd post this again on Robert Franks The Americans. Some of these arguments were actually settled 60+ years ago.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=mHtRZBDOgag (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 09:36 |  #65

Shadowblade, here's a question: if art is only of value if it's aesthetically pleasing, is there any value to art schools? After all, if it all boils down to aesthetics, and aesthetics can be reduced to objective metrics of sharpness, light, focus, etc (for photography, at least) and is innately appreciated, then what can be taught?

Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 17, 2014 09:43 |  #66

edge-air ... did you expect everyone to have the depth of experience you do? most photographers start out with absolutely nothing more than how to operate a camera. the next level is to master the technical aspects. the next level is to understand the art and history of the art. it takes years to master like all crafts and many will prefer to hibernate on whatever level they deem as effective to their vision.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 17, 2014 09:44 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

edge100 wrote in post #16840732 (external link)
Shadowblade, here's a question: if art is only of value if it's aesthetically pleasing, is there any value to art schools? After all, if it all boils down to aesthetics, and aesthetics can be reduced to objective metrics of sharpness, light, focus, etc (for photography, at least) and is innately appreciated, then what can be taught?

I never understood why art schools existed, actually.

TriExposure (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 09:47 |  #68

catclaw wrote in post #16840750 (external link)
I never understood why art schools existed, actually.

One learns about art for the same reason one learns about math: to learn about things that are not immediately apparent.

Reducing all art to what is aesthetically pleasing or technically 'correct' - to the exclusion of all else - is the equivalent of reducing mathematics to the ability to count to 100.

airfrogusmc
36,323 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 09:47 |  #69

Joe I was there but I instead of crapping on things I didn't have knowledge of I went on a quest to get that knowledge and it was much harder before the world wide web. I eventually majored in college in it minored in art because I wanted to know as much as I could about what I was doing. Knowledge today is as easy at ones finger tips.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2014 09:48 |  #70

edge100 wrote in post #16840732 (external link)

What can be taught is the technical side of things - how to get what's in the artist's head onto paper in a way that looks good. Everything from how to hold a paintbrush to how to light or pose a subject.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 17, 2014 09:49 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #71

What is odd is that abstract is considered an advanced art form yet it is the most difficult form to appreciate. there is a local show hanging of abstracts all fetching $6k and up and not a one of them has appeal to my eye. So while an abstract may satisfy an artist at some level it will not necessarily satisfy an audience of lesser sophistication in art.

In terms of producing an image that is appreciated I watched a snapshot of a local mountain time in high noon light and no atmospherics or general dynamics sell for $300. Not a princely sum but it sold while much more interesting works remained on the wall.

Tastes vary dramatically.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2014 09:50 |  #72

edge100 wrote in post #16840757 (external link)
One learns about art for the same reason one learns about math: to learn about things that are not immediately apparent.

Reducing all art to what is aesthetically pleasing or technically 'correct' - to the exclusion of all else - is the equivalent of reducing mathematics to the ability to count to 100.

Nope - mathematics has a practical application and those things that are 'not immediately apparent' can be proven.

There is no proof in art - only opinions.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 09:50 |  #73

Shadowblade wrote in post #16840766 (external link)
What can be taught is the technical side of things - how to get what's in the artist's head onto paper in a way that looks good. Everything from how to hold a paintbrush to how to light or pose a subject.

Looks good to whom? Isn't the expression of "what's in the artist's head" the centrally important thing?

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 09:50 |  #74

Shadowblade wrote in post #16840769 (external link)
Nope - mathematics has a practical application and those things that are 'not immediately apparent' can be proven.

There is no proof in art - only opinions.

You're missing the point.

Integral calculus is not intuitive. One must be taught how to do it.

The same is true of art.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 17, 2014 09:51 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

edge100 wrote in post #16840757 (external link)

Fair enough. I can appreciate what you say about learning about art, and writing about it as an art critic. But I am someone who believes that people are either intrinsically artistic, or not. It's just a matter of unlocking the intrinsic gift. And a school isn't going to give someone the intrinsic ability, I have observed.

TriExposure (external link)

sponsored links

52,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renowned Photographer Jeff Mitchum's Masterpiece "Third Day" Sells For $1.8 Million
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.